Mice in my airbox!

6 replies to this topic
  • Dave_B

Posted April 01, 2001 - 12:17 PM

Yesterday I went to do the first service on my bike and approximately two hour on the bike last week. First off there's a big hole gnawed through the filter, just the outside layer. The filter in 100% oil free, dry as a bone from the dealer. Pull it off and the airbox is littered with mouse crap! Couldn't believe it. I,m sure it came from the dealer this way. Also guys I'm having a real hard time starting this thing. When it's cold (it's only about 35-40 degrees here)I use the choke but if it does start, (most of the time it won't with the choke on)the kickstarter kicks back because it idles high, and that really hurts the ankle. Then I turn the choke off, it will fire but not run. If I have one of my kids outside, I get them to pull the choke out the second it fires, and the it starts fine, besides the fast idle. When it' warm it starts first kick with no choke and idles fine. What do I adjust?

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 01, 2001 - 12:28 PM

Probably turn out the pilot screw 1/2 - 1 for easier starting. With the stock jetting you may want the screw out about 2- 2.5 turns. With a stock 42 pilot I think I had mine out almost 3 turns.

I friend of mine had over $4,000 worth of damage to her Lexus from rats or mice. I recommend stuffing the mice in to the exhaust pipe and blipping the throttle.

Maybe you can make a game out of it between your son and you. "Mice Toss" - who can launch a critter farther.

• JAFChE

Posted April 01, 2001 - 04:04 PM

I recommend stuffing the mice in to the exhaust pipe and blipping the throttle.

Maybe you can make a game out of it between your son and you. "Mice Toss" - who can launch a critter farther.

John,

LMFAO!!! :)

------------------
No Brain, No Pain!
01' KTM 400EXC
01' Yamaha TTR-125L
01' Yamaha TTR-90
00' Honda XR50R

[This message has been edited by JAFChE (edited 04-01-2001).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moronofmudgb

Posted April 02, 2001 - 07:10 AM

Hi Dave, i'm glad im not the only one with this strange starting procedure. my wr400 00 is just the same, it wont run in the cold without choke and wont seem to fire with it. I have developed a technique for starting that seems to work 95% of the time, firstly if it's very cold give the throttle a couple of twists, then set the motor just past T.D.C and finally with one hand on the choke a good smooth and powerful push on the starter, then as soon as i hear the engine fire i pull out the choke. after about 20-30 seconds of high speed idle i switch of the choke, the engine idles and i can ride all day without a glitch. I am a lanky (tall) chap at 6'4" and arms the length of a gorilla so i dont know if you could physically perform this on your own, but i know that i have tried more realistic options to this procedure and they have failed to work. It is par for the course as far as i'm concerned.

• Dave_B

Posted April 02, 2001 - 02:40 PM

I think I'll start with the pilot screw, if that doesn't work, maybe I'll tie the mice's tail to the choke pull so it will be easier to reach. I figure 4 mice should be the right length. :)

• Dave_B

Posted April 02, 2001 - 02:42 PM

I think I'll start with the pilot screw, if that doesn't work, maybe I'll tie the mice's tail to the choke pull so it will be easier to reach. I figure 4 mice should be the right length. :)

------------------
00 WR400
00 XR 50
99 KTM 50SX Pro Senior

• Steve_Morgan

Posted April 03, 2001 - 10:45 AM

Sounds like the dreaded Yamahanta Virus! :) Shhh! Don't let the greenies hear about this...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.