MX 31 front tires potential problem

21 replies to this topic
  • saccityfire

Posted November 14, 2009 - 05:27 PM

So I've had the MX31 up front and 51 in the back for about 3-4 hours of intermediate sandy loam MX track with a firm base in places at Mammoth Bar OHV in Cali. I'm 30+ front of pack Novice and corner somewhat aggressively.

I've noticed that the outside row of knobs on both sides of the 31 are starting to separate (crack) at their base from the center of the tire towards the outside. None of the knobs has torn completely off but I'm fairly sure that it will happen soon. Traction is still awesome at this point and I'm very pleased with these tires otherwise. No problem with the 51's in the back. Perhaps I may need to go to the 51 up front.

Treadwear is great and at 3-4 hours the drive edge on the 51 is just starting to round, corner edges are still fairly sharp. All edges an the 31 are only slightly worn as well (still fairly sharp).

Anyone else having or had this problem? Is it normal? Any recommendations?

Anyone riding Mammoth Bar soon?

Thanks. :excuseme:

• Joe_Jet

Posted November 14, 2009 - 06:18 PM

had that problem with 756 rears anytime i rode them on any type of hardpack. you can tell if they overheat; they turn a blue/whitish color.

• Tyge250

Posted November 14, 2009 - 08:25 PM

Hey saccityfire, are the trails open also. I`m in Marysville and haven`t been up there since last summer. I thought the fire up there shut the place down this year. Thanks,Dan

• saccityfire

Posted November 15, 2009 - 01:00 PM

Trails are open. They only shut them down briefly to complete mop up of the area. MX track never closed.

• davcon

Posted November 15, 2009 - 01:10 PM

Sorry to hear this. I had a similar problem with Bridgestone and Maxxis as described in this post http://www.thumperta...1393&highlight=

Based on those recommendations I went with the 31. So far I've put 7 hours on it and the side knobs are fine.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted November 15, 2009 - 01:28 PM

I saw the same problem on my 756 .... IMHO that's why I now use Michelin's on all my bikes.

• capdoogie

Posted November 15, 2009 - 01:41 PM

yes I have the mx31 on front of my kx450f and same thing has happened. outer row of knobs have started to come off.

• saccityfire

Posted November 15, 2009 - 03:34 PM

I noticed on the link davcon put up that some blamed tire pressure and rock chunks for these issues.

My tires are both run at 12psi and there are very few rocks in the soil of the MX track. I don't ride the trails. The knobs are peeling off with the fissure starting on the center edge of the knob where it contacts the carcass of the tire. some are worse than others but all seem affected (only on the very outer row of knobs on both sides).

I would expect that if the tire compound was at issue that the center knobs on the front tire would be showing cracks on the braking edge of the base which doesn't seem to be happening. Again there is no damage to the rear tire (chunks, or tears) which leads me to believe that perhaps the MX51 may be better suited for my soil type.

I'm stumped.

You got anything Gray?

• Tyge250

Posted November 16, 2009 - 08:21 PM

Trails are open. They only shut them down briefly to complete mop up of the area. MX track never closed.

Thanks for the info. I`ll plan on going up there soon.

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2009 - 09:12 PM

You got anything Gray?

I haven't yet had any problem with the MX31 in front as far as loosing chunks of tread, although I half expected it after the race two weeks back, but I have decided that the MX51 rear is clearly superior to the MX31 for use in the desert, sand or no sand.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=845450

As a result, I've resolved to try a 51 in the front. I've developed the theory that the 31 is a mud and soft to soft/intermediate tire, and not a really great sand tire (although the front works pretty well in that media), and that the 51 is far more versatile.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2009 - 09:18 PM

had that problem with 756 rears anytime i rode them on any type of hardpack. you can tell if they overheat; they turn a blue/whitish color.

A lot of California clays, especially the whiter looking ones, have an alkali compound in them that turns blue/white on the surface of the tire. It washes right off, though, and has nothing to do with heat. To verify that, you can run the same tires on pavement until the knobs fly off, and they won't turn that color.

• The Captain

Posted November 16, 2009 - 10:01 PM

My 31 front did this at 8 hrs, with knobs coming off at about 10hrs. of use on semi soft, mud, to intermediate tracks, very few rocks. I've had 4 sets, they all did this.

My 31 rears started to crack at about 4-6hrs, with knobs coming off at ten. As mentioned above, they all did this.

Pressure at 14psi f/r if that matters. I will be trying out the 51's next time around.

• Aka.Goose

Posted November 21, 2009 - 12:15 PM

My front is holding up well, but the rear 31 has worn down really fast, 10 hours or so and they're quite rounded...And they feel like you're on ice when you hit some really hardpacked areas, had a really sketchy time riding with some fast friends in gorman, felt like I was riding flat track around some turns with a nice cliff only inches away...:excuseme:

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2009 - 03:12 PM

My front is holding up well, but the rear 31 has worn down really fast, 10 hours or so and they're quite rounded...

Same here. The 31 wore pretty badly in 3 rides, whereas the 51 rear has 4 on it now, two of which were 70 miles or longer of desert racing, and it's stayed surprisingly sharp. Better wear than a 952, and really impressive traction, especially heeled over.

The front is holding up alright, but based on the comparison of the two rears, I want to try a 51 up front soon.

• cjxrider125

Posted November 21, 2009 - 03:17 PM

i used to rip off side nobbs on the front bridgestone 403 and then i switched to the mx51 and had no problems. its my favorite tire :excuseme:

• harrperf

Posted November 21, 2009 - 03:18 PM

The 31 front tire I used chunked about 4 hours in in purely soft/sandy style conditions.

I was quite dissapointed.

The rear either 31 or 51 seems to hold up great.

• FinchFan194

Posted November 21, 2009 - 03:21 PM

Gray how many hours/miles do you have on your MX51 rear? How is it holding up and how many hours or miles do you expect to get out of it. My 08 needs new tires as the front is junk and the rear is worn out. I am usually a Michelin guy but willing to try Dunlops if you think they will last as long as or longer than the Michelin MS3's.

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2009 - 03:33 PM

150 racing miles, plus another 50 or 70 recreational desert miles. At this rate it appears that it will easily out last a 952, which is one of the best wearing tires there is.

• FinchFan194

Posted November 21, 2009 - 06:01 PM

Have you ever heard of Motoz tires? Guy I ride with runs them and He had about 150 miles on it and the edges were still square.

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2009 - 07:43 PM

He had about 150 miles on it and the edges were still square.

The MX51 looks like this after 250 or so:

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.