2007 WR450 oil level check confusion???

18 replies to this topic
  • Lennie

Posted November 13, 2009 - 09:58 AM

I am struggling to check the oil level on my 2007 WR450, I dont get any oil on the "oil tank plug / dipstick" but oil come out the "check bolt" near the gear lever. I know it has the right amount of oil as i put the correct amount in when i changed the oil and i havent ridden it since apart from in the garden to warm it up. I know no oil has leaked from it as the bike was clean and there is no oil on the bash plate or on the concrete where i rode it.

Why is there no oil on "oil tank plug / dipstick"?

Edited by Lennie, November 13, 2009 - 01:28 PM.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 13, 2009 - 10:15 AM

I am struggling to check the oil level on my 2007 WR450

I never check the "check bolt" I only go off the dip stick.

Warm the bike up...once warm, place it on a stand and let it site for a minute. Then pull the dipstick and make sure the oil is on the cross hatch. If it is, your good to go :smirk:

• Lennie

Posted November 13, 2009 - 01:28 PM

Done that and drained the oil due to it showing nothing, it had the correct amount but didnt show a drop on the oil tank plug / dip stick. I am seriously confused how the bike drains the correct amount of oil but doesnt show a drop on the dip stick???????????????

• biggziff

Posted November 13, 2009 - 03:10 PM

If you're not getting oil on the dipstick (not threaded in the hole...just resting on the hole) and you're sure you put at least a quart back in the engine then you may have an oil pump problem. There is a oil gallery banjo bolt on the right side of the engine that you can crack when the bike is idling to see if you get some oil weeping out around the bolt. If you don't get oil there, you have a problem. The WR uses a dry sump oil system which means the sump of the engine does not hold all the oil...it's held in the frame oil tank and circulated from there by the oil pump. If there is no oil in the frame tank, you may have a bad oil pump or just some air in the system which is making the oil pump cavitate.

Watch this video. At 6:00 in he explains how to be sure you have oil pressure.

I'm a newb with the WR, but I'm pretty sure this information is correct.

• KennyMc

Posted November 13, 2009 - 03:46 PM

If you're not getting oil on the dipstick (not threaded in the hole...just resting on the hole) and you're sure you put at least a quart back in the engine then you may have an oil pump problem. There is a oil gallery banjo bolt on the right side of the engine that you can crack when the bike is idling to see if you get some oil weeping out around the bolt. If you don't get oil there, you have a problem. The WR uses a dry sump oil system which means the sump of the engine does not hold all the oil...it's held in the frame oil tank and circulated from there by the oil pump. If there is no oil in the frame tank, you may have a bad oil pump or just some air in the system which is making the oil pump cavitate.

Watch this video. At 6:00 in he explains how to be sure you have oil pressure.

I'm a newb with the WR, but I'm pretty sure this information is correct.

No frame tank on the aluminum framed bikes.

• biggziff

Posted November 13, 2009 - 04:03 PM

No frame tank on the aluminum framed bikes.

Ahhh...didn't know that. Just read this:

"This system is the same as that used on the YZ450F, and features a new oil tank contained within the front of the crankcases which carries the oil much lower than the previous oil-in-frame system. This innovative design eliminates the need for external oil pipes which previously connected the engine with the frame-mounted oil tank. The advantages of this design include higher reliability, and increased mass centralisation for lighter handling feel."

So they still are dry sump and use a oil tank, but now it's inside the engine. Is the dip stick in the oil tank? If so..could still be an oil pump or air, no?

thanks

• Lennie

Posted November 14, 2009 - 03:07 AM

The oil pressure test works well on my bike, it does what is shown in the video and described in the manual.

• ASternad

Posted November 14, 2009 - 09:11 PM

have seen how much oil is needed to register on the stick?
In other words if you pour another 3oz's in would you see oil?

• sausage boy

Posted November 15, 2009 - 08:29 AM

The oil pressure test works well on my bike, it does what is shown in the video and described in the manual.

if you have put the correct amount of oil in engine, which if i remember correctly is 1ltr with oil filter? and its not pressurizing the oil reservoir in the engine then maybe check the oil filter cover and the oil filter, its possible that you have a blockage somewhere.. good luck.
hey Lennie how do you like you Beta? i have the same bike, great trials bike :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lennie

Posted November 16, 2009 - 02:20 AM

The beta is great, I ride it nearly everyweek!

I will check the oil filter area and see what i can find, I am 100% sure the bike has the exact amount of oil it should have in.

Any other ideas?

• kingjewells

Posted November 18, 2009 - 12:57 PM

Glad you found the problem. Whats a mud dabber?

Edited by kingjewells, November 18, 2009 - 01:08 PM.
problem solved

• Lennie

Posted November 19, 2009 - 06:29 AM

I havent found the problem !!!!!!!!

• kingjewells

Posted November 19, 2009 - 08:09 AM

Sorry, I mistook Northsouths answer on your other thread to come from you: "

Success! After draining the oil again (both drain plugs), re-inspecting the oil filter and blowing out the vent from the tank to the crankcase (which was clean) I checked the vent comming from the valve cover and found a mud dobber nest. Blew it out, replaced the oil, idled for 3 minutes and I now have a glistening wet dipstick! (I mean oil to the proper level on the oil checking device). Yee-Haw!"

Good luck.

• RSAthump

Posted November 20, 2009 - 04:36 AM

I had the same issue a while back, I just poured more oil in, and then it was fine.... Ive done thre rides now and no problem, Im doing the oild anf ilter tonight on my bike, ill let you know if i have the same issue. remember to drain oil from all three drainage points:)

• rocketman63

Posted October 03, 2015 - 06:45 PM

I am having the same problem with  a 2009 WR450.  Just did a top end rebuild.  I have oil coming out of the pressure hole on the cylinder but have no oil on the dipstick.  I have added additional oil, in fact it is now coming out of the oil level check screw by the gear shifter.  Any ideas?  I have checked all of the vent hoses and even followed a blog to pressurize the system with 20psi of air to get everything primed.  Still no oil on the dipstick. I am afraid to ride the bike after all of the money on the new head and cams.  I bought the bike knowing it needed a new head so I have no idea of what caused the original problems.   I know the guy I bought of from on CL was full of @$!%.  He said he overtightened the cam guides and broke them.  Anyway any help or thoughts would be appreciated. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 03, 2015 - 07:04 PM

You have to get the motor HOT first.

Then shut if off and keep it LEVEL.          No stand, no kick stand.

Then after one minute, pull he dipstick. Wipe it and try it again.

1.2 qts of oil with a filter change........

• knuckleduster271

Posted October 03, 2015 - 10:46 PM

My 07 doesn't read on the dip stick unless I warm the bike up and run it through the gears.

• rocketman63

Posted October 05, 2015 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for the replies.  I have ridden the bike up and down the street and around the yard for several minutes if not longer.  I have oil in the return hose but I have not checked to see if it is pumping oil when the engine is running.  My next check tonight is to remove the oil hose at the dipstick and start the bike to see if any oil is pumping through the hose.  If there isn't any then I will assume I have a weak oil pump.  Thanks again for your responses.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 05, 2015 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for the replies.  I have ridden the bike up and down the street and around the yard for several minutes if not longer.  I have oil in the return hose but I have not checked to see if it is pumping oil when the engine is running.  My next check tonight is to remove the oil hose at the dipstick and start the bike to see if any oil is pumping through the hose.  If there isn't any then I will assume I have a weak oil pump.  Thanks again for your responses.

Please do not cross post. Make your own posts.

I do not believe the oil pump has any influence in oil check height, and if it did, it would be a higher oil level....if it is not working.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.