Honda

oil for Honda 450 foreman

6 replies to this topic
  • sawmillpond

Posted November 13, 2009 - 09:10 AM

Its it really a big deal to use non energy efficent oil in these machines. Was told it can ruin clutches and soforth. Thank you

• hobo99

Posted November 13, 2009 - 09:23 AM

use any OIL THAT IS DESIGNED FOR MOTORCYCLES. all of those are wet clutch safe. never run car oil in your atv/bike. valvoline 10-w40 ATV is avalibal at any retail store.

the real key on oil is to change it often, fresh oil gives the best lubrication and best protection. oil that has turned black is burnt and no longer provides adiquet lubrication.

• reconranger

Posted November 14, 2009 - 02:51 AM

There are several reasons why you don't want to use "car" oil....not even in your car! This lays them out pretty well....

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

More good info....

http://www.sportride..._oil/index.html

If you are willing to pay for a synthetic....

http://www.maximausa...ubeNews2002.pdf

It is pretty simple to just pick a motorcycle specific oil that is API SG/JASO MA....there are a bunch of them out there. Yes...they will be more expensive than SpiffyLube that you will get at WallyWorld, but they have a real anti-wear additive package and nothing that will make your clutch slip.

Personally, I run nothing but ester based synthetics in all my vehicles, so that means Redline or Maxima.

Edited by reconranger, November 14, 2009 - 06:26 AM.

• mkd1993

Posted November 15, 2009 - 04:38 PM

i use castrol gtx, royal purple, or the honda oil from the honda shop
my bike is 5 years old and has 500 hours,2700 miles and the only things that were repaired on it was berrings,steering joints,and brakes.(knock on wood) those are parts that wear no matter what and have nothing to do with engine oil
my honda is bullet proof

• CRFrider30

Posted November 24, 2009 - 07:57 PM

id put in 10W-40 if i were u

• CountryboyMX720

Posted November 24, 2009 - 08:11 PM

We run castrol 10w40. My dads foreman has about 3000 miles with no problem with the oil, and my rancher at has about 5000 miles and about 650 hours, no oil related problems either. We change it about every 500 miles

Edited by CountryboyMX720, November 25, 2009 - 08:59 AM.

• reconranger

Posted November 25, 2009 - 07:01 AM

As far as oil weight, consult your owner's manual. The 450 is an old school air cooled engine with loose tolerances, so it will spec thicker oils...unlike tighter more modern engines like the Rancher 420 and 450R (Rancher specs 0W30 as a year-round, all-weather oil!).

While 10W40 makes a good summer oil in most of the country, don't neglect to switch to a lighter oil like maybe 5W30 for winter riding!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Honda

2005 Trx450r wont idle and runs rough by trx_450_rider

ATV/UTV   Make/Model Specific   Sport ATV
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Honda

300EX Top End Problems by Devil Tiger

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Freakin 4 Wheelers by Harvo

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Honda

2013 Honda TRX250x Fuel screw by Quisp

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Honda

2005 TRX 400 dies off idle by JDubya381

• 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.