YZ426F maintenance experience (long)

No replies to this topic
  • MikeOK

Posted August 20, 2000 - 11:30 AM

Hello fellow thumpers- over the last week I have gone through my bike so I thought I'd share a few things I found. I took the swingarm apart and greased, took the forks off and serviced them, and greased the steering head bearings. As I have read in other posts, everything needed grease badly. My bike has 4 races on it and maybe 20 hours. The swingarm bearings weren't dry but nearly dry, the steering head had practically no grease in it so this is something I'll check regularly. I think this area gets pretty hot from the oil circulating in the frame so it probably gets melted out. I have read questions in other posts about fork oil in these bikes- the book specifies "suspension fluid 01", but so far I never saw a good answer what this was so I asked my dealer, he and his head mechanic told me to put 5wt suspension fluid in it. They said it was the same as 01 but much cheaper. I used Silkolene 5wt at $12 a litre. I also raised the level from the stock 130 to 100mm to make them a bit slower, and ofter one ride I see that it worked, now I'm looking at a few rides to get everything dialed back in (yahoo!). The rear suspension is noticably smoother after the lubing too. So to top it off, the steering heads needed grease the worst, the fork oil definately needed to be changed (lots of crud in the old oil) and I also noticed that several bolts and nuts weren't as tight as they should be. I regularly tighten all I can get to but some things are hard to get to without going in this deep. I hope this is useful to some of you...

Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.