A old de-octopus question...

10 replies to this topic
  • MOmilkman

Posted April 24, 2003 - 05:12 PM

Hey guys, I pulled the octopus off my bike tonight and I noticed it left a jet uncovered. This is the secondary jet right?

Do I just put a vacumn plug over the whole thing or take the jet out and then plug it.
Probably dosent matter does it? :)

• Dougie

Posted April 24, 2003 - 05:35 PM

Hey Darin, I hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread here. I've been putting this mod off for years and I finally want to do it. Can anyone get me a picture of what this looks like on the '99 400 carb? And does anyone have a link to the old TTalk archives / main page?

• CuLayTur

Posted April 24, 2003 - 07:46 PM

Here's the old main page for the Yamaha forum: http://www.thumperta...r400/index.html

Curt

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 24, 2003 - 11:22 PM

the ENTIRE octopus will be removed. You will have two nipples that need to be capped.

That should be it.

• MOmilkman

Posted April 25, 2003 - 03:13 AM

Thanks Kevin. Ill just put the plug right over the secondary jet and be done with it.

Doug,

Your not alone buddy. How long have we been putting this mod off? :) As a matter of fact, I probably still wouldnt have done it if I wasnt dong the big YZ jetting change and doing the YZ timing. But you'll see theres really nothing to it other than a few jetting changes.

I cant even tell you how much cleaner my carb looks without this nasty contraption.
Heres what it looks like on the bike (for comparision)

Posted Image

and heres it is off the bike....

Posted Image

I wish I would have took a pic of my carb now that its off too but I forgot.
:D

I'll post a pic later today of what my carb looks like now...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MN_Kevin

Posted April 25, 2003 - 03:35 AM

Darin,
I also removed the bracket that the octopus attached to. I replaced the long bolt w/ an SAE bolt, washers, lockwasher and nut from the hardware store. This IS the final step in making/cleaning up your carb like the YZ's.

• MOmilkman

Posted April 25, 2003 - 03:57 AM

Kevin,

Do some people not remove the bracket? (pictured above) Why would they not? Or are you talking about a different bracket that I did not see? Im gonna have to go look at my bike again and see if I can take off any more stuff! :)

And your talking about the 2 long bolts that run though the carb body that hold the octopus on right? Thats the bolt you replaced?
Why did you put a new bolt in? I just took the bracket off and put the nut(s) back on. I didnt need a new bolt.

I guess I dont understand why you had to get a different bolt. (sorry about all the questions)

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 25, 2003 - 05:30 AM

And your talking about the 2 long bolts that run though the carb body that hold the octopus on right? Thats the bolt you replaced?
Why did you put a new bolt in? I just took the bracket off and put the nut(s) back on. I didnt need a new bolt.

>> Darin, as I recall, the bolt (one of the bolts...???) was too long w/ the bracket removed.

I thought the bolt held something on, on the other side of the carb.

Sorry Darin, it has been so long since I took it off. Maybe I am AFU...

• MOmilkman

Posted April 25, 2003 - 05:59 AM

Ok, thanks for clarifying that. I'll have to double check mine but Im pretty sure both of them (nuts) snugged right up.

And yes, they both hold something on the other side. One holds the black lever that pushes the rod down into the acc pump and the other holds something on the other side of the carb but Im not sure what. I really didnt look.

But thanks for pointing that out, Ill be sure and check it out when I get home. :)

• MOmilkman

Posted April 25, 2003 - 08:05 AM

And for comparison again, heres a shot of my carb without the Octopus...
Posted Image

• Dougie

Posted April 25, 2003 - 10:52 AM

Thanks guys. Is this mod going to change my jetting at all?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.