Street Legal XR 500!

7 replies to this topic
  • OBillyHill

Posted November 12, 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hey all...I'm jazzed. After a year and a half of resurrecting an old 79 xr500, I just passed the CHP inspection and am street legal!

Bike was there awhile ago, but little things hit. Problems with the mechanical switch on the brake light. Baja Designs battery died...twice. DMV started doing furrloughs on the one day (Friday's) I can take time to get the license.

CHP near me was lame. Bookings 3-4 weeks out. I went to an office further away, but go in in two days.

Now the real restoration can begin. Basically building a street scrambler/street tracker. Luv the big thumper motor. Don't like the 23" front wheel so lacing up a 21".

If you've converted a vintage dirt bike to street, please post pics and stories.

http://www.bikepics....ctures/1251158/

• baldy110

Posted November 12, 2009 - 08:54 PM

I'm surprised you got that one by the CHP. Starting Jan 01, 2004 the california DMV stopped allowing the plating of off road bikes like the XR's if they were manufactured after 1978.

• OBillyHill

Posted November 13, 2009 - 11:21 AM

Right you are. I needed to be a bit stealthy. First off, it was never tagged, nor ever green stickered. I've learned that helps.

Also, I went to the DMV first, got the reg started. (I ran the VIN #'s prior, and most 79s aren't in the system if they haven't been tagged.

When I went to CHP, I spoke to the officer, and verified what they're looking for. Previous tags or stickers, metal tank, lights, turn signals, horn, and brake lights.

CRITICAL TO ALL THIS...I always listed it as a 1979 Honda 500. I did NOT use the XR name. Also, I took off the fork boots, painted a couple things silver, and put on the closest things to DOT street tires I could find (not easy with that 23" front wheel). So the bike doesn't look as much like a dirt bike. I've heard horror stories. Mine has been one of lots of back and forth with DMV and CHP, but finally I got it through.

• cleonard

Posted November 13, 2009 - 12:53 PM

There is what they do and what they are supposed to do. The only thing that they are supposed to be looking at during the VIN verification is the VIN number, the emissions label, and I believe a federal safety label. Metal tanks are not required and there are in fact plenty of plastic tanked street legal bikes today. The same goes for lighting and tires.

• MEANDMYDRZ

Posted November 13, 2009 - 04:04 PM

Congradulations! The DMV can be a real nightmare here in NM.

• dudleyscrf

Posted November 14, 2009 - 08:01 PM

Not here in NH, you can title ,reg and plate just about anything. Nice to be back in the live free or die state.

• MindBlower

Posted November 15, 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hey all...I'm jazzed. After a year and a half of resurrecting an old 79 xr500, I just passed the CHP inspection and am street legal!

Bike was there awhile ago, but little things hit. Problems with the mechanical switch on the brake light. Baja Designs battery died...twice. DMV started doing furrloughs on the one day (Friday's) I can take time to get the license.

CHP near me was lame. Bookings 3-4 weeks out. I went to an office further away, but go in in two days.

Now the real restoration can begin. Basically building a street scrambler/street tracker. Luv the big thumper motor. Don't like the 23" front wheel so lacing up a 21".

If you've converted a vintage dirt bike to street, please post pics and stories.

http://www.bikepics....ctures/1251158/

Very nice. Looks like mine! Putting a CR front end and wheels on it, 17" wheels over the winter. 320 front rotor. :excuseme:

Posted Image

• OBillyHill

Posted November 16, 2009 - 02:19 PM

UPDATE - Took the CHP paperwork to the DMV today. Surprisingly, the cute girl in the mini skirt helping asked if it was a dirt bike. I simply answered, "It's a street bike right now." And she handed me my license plate. YES!

Not a fun process here. Neither DMV nor CHP seems to know the full process, or what each other does. This was months and months in process. The new California furloughs hasn't helped. But it's done!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.