Will I ride It??

4 replies to this topic
  • Miker

Posted April 24, 2003 - 04:35 PM

Hey there. I have been thinking of replacing my 96 Dualsported XR600 for a while with a new 650R. The thing is I never ride the 600 anymore as I have a 525EXC that I ride on the trails. The 600 just is not that much fun on the road. It always seems too small and slow. Is the 650R that much better to have as a dual sport?? Thanks for the help. :)

• Dutch

Posted April 25, 2003 - 02:45 AM

It was around 1990 I got my first XR600. It was my introduction to trail riding up here in N Mi. I rode that one and another one over the next 8 years. I modified those bikes every way I could to try to get more power and improve the handling. It was a frustrating exercise in that I never got the bike fast enough or solved the handling quirks.
The way I fixed those bikes was to remove the license plate and put it on a WR400. I wore out two of those, (great bikes), playing in the woods up here but the problem with the WR bikes for me was trying to travel with them. They were just too small. So - one day at the local Honda shop I looked at the BRP and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse, ($4050 OTD!!). After taking the bike home and uncorking it we went for the first ride. It was funny, I was grinning ear to ear, It was my old XR600's only this bike worked! It was everything the the 600 couldn't be.
Now "Bang Bang Betty" and me are starting our third season up here in dual sport heaven and she is special. A great dual sport and amazing in the woods. If you worship at the altar of horsepower as I do, it is the best choice for the money.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Miker

Posted April 25, 2003 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. About how much does the power up kit for one of these run?

• Grimmer

Posted April 25, 2003 - 04:24 AM

The full kit cost close to a grand. You can skip the piston and cam and simply uncork it for about $150. You can even take the cheaper route and use a 2" hole saw on your tailpipe. If you want max power, the full kit is the way to go.

• Dutch

Posted April 25, 2003 - 05:33 AM

The basic power up kit is a derestricted intake manifold, carb jetting and needle. You need to unplug the airbox and drill out the end of the muffler. A lot of riders just cut the restriction out of the intake, and many don't change the needle. So really, you could do it all for the price of the jets.
The competition power up kit consist of a high compression piston, cam, cam chain, and jetting. This kit needs to be used with a header and other mods to take advantage of its true potential. For dual sport use it isn't necessary, just unplugged this bike flat rips.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.