O/T need computer help

4 replies to this topic

Posted April 24, 2003 - 09:40 AM

I think i down loaded somthing that sends me pop ups? i get some pop ups off line, and alot online, it does not matter if i am on tt, or my email page. I am not real good with computers, if I have left out any info that you would need please ask, i don't know what els to say at this point
thanks for any help :)

• qadsan

Posted April 24, 2003 - 02:10 PM

Maybe you've got some type of data mining or advertising or ad tracking component maliciously loaded into your system without you knowing :D. It happens more often than people think :D. If you're running Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP, then the easiest and least espensive way to combat this type of problem to download a free program called 'Ad Aware' and use it to scan your system and see what it finds. After the scan, you have the option of picking all or specific advertising components that have been installed on your computer and removing them. 'Ad Aware' allows you to reverse your changes should you later decide you want to re-install any or all of the items you removed. Make note that there are some components of Windows that it may find that you don't want to remove (specifically components of Windows Update), so be careful in what you choose to have removed. It's all pretty seld explanitory once you load the program and play with with. Hopefully that fixes you right up :)

You can download 'Ad Aware' from various places such as Download.com at the following link...

or from...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Newf

Posted April 24, 2003 - 02:40 PM

AdAware is a great spyware buster. Another one I use is SpyBot Search & Destroy SpyBot home page. It sometimes finds occurences that AdAware doesn't...and vice versa. I always recommend both.

• CoreyClough

Posted April 24, 2003 - 07:44 PM

A big cause of virus invasion into your system, is by opening E-Mails. Rule of thumb is that if you don't recognize it or who it is, or where it is from, then don't open it at all! :)

Posted April 25, 2003 - 06:21 AM

thanks for the info :D i loaded bolth programs and ran them. it was kinda scary deleting 135 files i guess there called :D i know just enough about computers to get my self in trouble, i went ahead and deleted the files becaus there was a restore folder so i guess i was safe. i don't see any more pop up's now so hopfully it works :) this email is my work so i have to open most of them eventhough i don't know them, if i save to a disk first will that help :D thanks for the links now back to tt forums for more brp stuff

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.