help with 04 wr450

10 replies to this topic
  • dirtylos

Posted November 10, 2009 - 06:31 PM

I could use some suggestions on what to do with my 04 wr450!
During a rough up hill climb i fell over and then 5 to 10 minutes later
bike popped and sputtered then died. Got it running then died a little
ways down the trail and again... Next morning starts and runs great for
20 min and dies on me again? Changed the plug when i got home and
again starts and runs then dies . Pull plug check spark its good, tank back
on starts and runs. Go for ride and dies again! I seems that it is flooding
and when i pull the plug and kick it over and put it back together it starts??
Any ideas???? thanks

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 10, 2009 - 10:36 PM

Check your gas tank vent valve and that it is not creating a vacuum thing going on inside your gas tank -- see if fuel flows freely from the gas tank pet cock -- dirty carb/float sticking? faulty coil pack are a few ideas?

• dirtylos

Posted November 11, 2009 - 07:27 AM

thanks for the reply!! I have tried my other tank on with stock petcock,cleaned my carb,checked for fuel in the bowl. Float seems ok but maybee i don't know enough about
it to tell? I could try checking out the coil pack. Thanks

• BOBR

Posted November 11, 2009 - 09:24 AM

I had a similar problem with my 04' and it ended up being the coil, it was about $75.00 from the dealer.

• dirtylos

Posted November 11, 2009 - 04:09 PM

BOBR, Seems weird that i can get it started everytime i pull the plug and kick it over a couple times and put it back together?What kind of things did your bike do? Cheers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ww44wrf450f

Posted November 11, 2009 - 08:26 PM

I think I also recall that if the AP diafram is ripped that it will flood?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 11, 2009 - 09:20 PM

I could use some suggestions on what to do with my 04 wr450!
During a rough up hill climb i fell over and then 5 to 10 minutes later
bike popped and sputtered then died. Got it running then died a little
ways down the trail and again... Next morning starts and runs great for
20 min and dies on me again? Changed the plug when i got home and
again starts and runs then dies . Pull plug check spark its good, tank back
on starts and runs. Go for ride and dies again! I seems that it is flooding
and when i pull the plug and kick it over and put it back together it starts??
Any ideas???? thanks

Next time it dies, try this:

Take the float bowl plug out, and see if gas comes out. No gas, you have a clog somewhere between the tank petcock and carb, or a clogged gas cap vent.

Got Gas? Don't do anything, and wait until the bike is cooled off, and try it again.
If it starts when cool, it's probably your stator.

• Apple

Posted November 11, 2009 - 10:26 PM

My 04 did the same thing, hope yours isn`t like mine but I figure I gotta throw out the possibility. CDI went bad, turns out the voltage regulator was NFG and overvoltaged and took out the CDI. Bike would run when cold but warm up the electrics and she ran like sh*t. Bummer, expensive, but the bike is back to running great now. Oh yeah the CDI is the only thing you can`t check with a meter. So it`s a process of elimination.

• dirtylos

Posted November 12, 2009 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the replies, i guess i have some work to do. I did however check
for fuel in the bowl after it died. It had fuel . It had spark. I had the bike running
in 10 min after it died by pulling the plug and kicking it over a couple of times then
putting her back together? Not sure where to start now with the different replies!
p.s. it ran for twice as long the second time then i held the kill switch on kick her
25 times and got it to fire but ran shitty and died again

Edited by dirtylos, November 12, 2009 - 09:44 PM.

• dirtylos

Posted November 23, 2009 - 05:31 PM

my problem ended up being a simple fix it was the orange wire going into the coil plug
it was a bit loose and would work its way out enough to lose contact. When i checked
for spark each time the connection would get reconnected, allowing my bike to start
again! I thought it was a fuel problem and had tunnel vision so it took awhile before i
figured it out!! Thanks again for the help... cheers

• Butta

Posted November 24, 2009 - 07:52 AM

Excellent news!! I love easy (and cheap) fixes!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.