What oil??

8 replies to this topic
  • Tree_Slayer

Posted August 13, 2000 - 11:53 AM

I have a 99 yz 400 what is the best oil yama lube or mobil 1

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 13, 2000 - 02:54 PM

Yama Lube is CRAP.. check the ratings on it and compare it to any other oils..
Its a low grade Mineral oil.. Mobil 1 doesn't even compare.

Persoanlly I run a semi-synthetic Castrol Motorcycle Oil and change it after every race day or aftre a couple of trails.

2 rides on Yam-lube and it came out like about 30 rides on the Castrol.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

• MikeOK

Posted August 13, 2000 - 04:54 PM

This is a subjecy of much debate. Yamalube 4R is semi synthetic, and it is good oil but pricey. I used Castrol Syntec blend in mine for a couple races and had no problems but I chickened out and went back to Yamalube. I have read that the Mobil1 is good, but the one thing I'm sure of is you don't want to use anything that says "energy conserving", as it isn't compatible with the wet clutch. Castrol Syntec is one of these and I used this on one of my olf XR's with no problems. I think if you use amy good oil you will be ok as long as you change it frequently, I change mine every rce and once a week of just bouncing around riding...

Mike

• Matt_Porritt

Posted August 14, 2000 - 01:17 AM

I use Castrol GPS.. cos I sell it! :)

There are a couple of different Mobil 1's available.. one is ok.. the other is questionable.. but I'm sure people have used the EC version and had good results from it.

The thing isn't the quality of the oil, its how much you let it degrade.

Use a cheap mineral by all means but you MUST chnage it after each ride before it starts to go to the shite.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Johnny_W

Posted August 15, 2000 - 03:08 PM

Golden Spectro 20W50 is working great for me. The life of the oil is great, and I feel the shifting of my clutch in conjuction with the Hinson set up is much smoother. It's a little spendy, but according to the Yamaha Factory Techs, it works the best!

• MikeOK

Posted August 15, 2000 - 04:41 PM

Johnny- I have heard that before about the Golden Spectro, is that a motorcycle specific oil or is it generally available?

Thanks,
Mike

• Johnny_W

Posted August 16, 2000 - 02:50 PM

Hey Mike,

Sorry it took me some time to get back to you. That darn work thing always gets in the way of fun. Anyway, Golden Spectro is available at most major Motorcycle Dealers. Good Luck and let me know what you think!!

• Tree_Slayer

Posted August 17, 2000 - 12:21 AM

Thank's for all the info i think i'm gonna try the Golden spectro

• JBM

Posted August 17, 2000 - 05:23 AM

I have been using Mobil 1 15w50 for a few months and it has worked out well. The main thing about using this is availability, you can get it anywhere, and cost, about $3 to $4. I also think it is superior to petroleum based oils and is certainly less than motorcycle specific oils. Some interesting reading and data. www.trail.com/~jrabe/oil.html and www.trail.com/~jrabe/oilfaq.html

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.