Annoyed - My boots get stuck in the frame - PMO

14 replies to this topic
  • ww44wrf450f

Posted November 10, 2009 - 06:55 AM

I finally had a chance to ride Ganaraska Forest yesterday and my boots(Quadrant's) kept getting hung up at the top of the boot and around the ankle somehow -- at the time, my smile factor was to big to worry about it, but now, thinking back - hard turns in 3rd, 4th gear power slides and be as hard on the gas(roost the corner) - very fast sections and my boots got hung up at least 7 times.

So, I'm thinking frame guards to start off with, but that doesn't solve the top of the boot getting stuck in the frame/tank section? (06wr450f)

Devol or Works -- witch one's work best? I did find these on fleabay, but checking part # I need the 14-250 not the 14-249 anybody now if they will still fit on the 06wr450f
http://cgi.ebay.ca/F...f0#ht_500wt_975

• Feral Donkey

Posted November 10, 2009 - 06:33 PM

I had some Oneil boots or however you spell it. About 2 months ago they got hung up on the frame down by foot pegs and I ended up crashing and smashing my ankle so bad I ended up getting a plate and 6 screws. I think if I had boots that closed tight at the top I wouldn't have had to spend 6 weeks in a recliner taking Oxycodone and watching reruns of NCIS.

I'm going to get money together and I'm going to buy some Alpinestar Tech 8s.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 10, 2009 - 10:15 PM

Sorry to here that -- I did that last fall, wearing shoes-boots got stolen the week before - 4th gear dirt road and flipped it(dumb -ass)-- 10 weeks off work -- I don't want to do that again, my boots got to go -- looking for a pair of gearne 12 at the right price, seen a pair on fleebay but it wouldn't let me bid from Canada, seller only would sell in the US.? they went for $258.00new

• matt4x4

Posted November 11, 2009 - 07:53 AM

had that same thing happen with quadrants as well...not the ankle thing though.
Without wearing it, set your boot on the footpeg and check how it happens, see what's needed to fix it and buy boots the right height according to what you discovered....not sure how you're hanging your ankle up unless you're tilting your foot/toe too far forwards and something catches it from the ground

• YamaLink

Posted November 11, 2009 - 11:21 AM

258 new??? That is a steal. I'm so happy with my SG10 that I have not considered looking for a new pair of Gaernes. FWIW, I have zero snagging issues on any bike frame/plastic with Gaerne.

As for the frame guard fit question, I am of no help, unfortunately.

Sorry to here that -- I did that last fall, wearing shoes-boots got stolen the week before - 4th gear dirt road and flipped it(dumb -ass)-- 10 weeks off work -- I don't want to do that again, my boots got to go -- looking for a pair of gearne 12 at the right price, seen a pair on fleebay but it wouldn't let me bid from Canada, seller only would sell in the US.? they went for $258.00new

• Diabs

Posted November 11, 2009 - 03:56 PM

Just thinking when I was riding last.....my boots...Answer...really tighten up around the top (no lip to catch). I have some plastic frame covers on my bike...not sure the make or brand, they came with the bike. but they seem to cover more than those you have linked.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 11, 2009 - 07:07 PM

Before the trip I prepped the bikes and I played with my brake - I wanted it lower, good thing I did because it was loose at the main bolt and ready to fall off, -- and I lowered it as much as possible, which was a huge improvement, I wish there was more adjustment?-- So, I was looking at off-set peg's, either up or back a 1/2 inch, I'd rather go lower but that will just aggravate the problem. How do you adjust the stop height of the break pedal?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumperMatty

Posted November 12, 2009 - 12:28 AM

Just thinking when I was riding last.....my boots...Answer...really tighten up around the top (no lip to catch). I have some plastic frame covers on my bike...not sure the make or brand, they came with the bike. but they seem to cover more than those you have linked.

My boots are answer too, and I think the same, they do tighten up pretty good at the top! Maybe he should try some fatter pegs so he can move his foot accross a tiny bit?

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 13, 2009 - 02:46 PM

http://www.fusionout...rame-guard.html

http://www.fusionout...skid-plate.html

I think I will try these frame guard's and skid plate? I have a pair of ims foot pegs on the 250 they are great!! I thought about the 7/8 riser's on the pegs to get more adjustment out of the brake and maybe my boot top's will clear the frame and not get hung up as much?

Edited by ww44wrf450f, November 13, 2009 - 03:12 PM.

• Feral Donkey

Posted November 15, 2009 - 10:05 AM

I talked to my friend in Washington. He was out riding with his brother in law, who was on a WR400 and it sounds like he had the same thing happen to him too. He said he tore something in his knee and he's all laid up. Same deal, boots had a lip at the top that got hung up.

Man, if these bikes weren't so damn much fun I'd take up a safer hobby like hang gliding. :excuseme::bonk:

• ThumperMatty

Posted November 16, 2009 - 03:50 AM

http://www.fusionout...rame-guard.html

http://www.fusionout...skid-plate.html

I think I will try these frame guard's and skid plate? I have a pair of ims foot pegs on the 250 they are great!! I thought about the 7/8 riser's on the pegs to get more adjustment out of the brake and maybe my boot top's will clear the frame and not get hung up as much?

Let us know either way, My brother has had the same problem as you, came up in conversation today, so if he works something out other than different boots ill post it up

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 17, 2009 - 12:19 AM

If I order some I will let you know

• Flooder305

Posted November 17, 2009 - 10:09 AM

You could try wearing over the boot pants....

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 18, 2009 - 08:06 AM

Well -- been searching the net for whats-what -- frame guards, skid plates, foot pegs, hand guards, bar riser's, etc. So far I ended up buying new pipes for my duece on e-bay $212 - for a set of samson's big guns up swept slasher's-my old samson had blued(thanks to my brother-in-law/how fast does this harley go?/187kmh/245lbs rider) started the bluing process and also lighting up the back tire when I changed it out 3 years ago didn't help either, lol, but the kids in the neighborhood enjoyed the show, good thing I had them run around first, and tell the neighbor's to close their windows.
Anyway's, which frame guards - the gytr carbons$82, look like they cover the most with nice clean edges, the devol or works $55 look like they can take more punishment -- I found a gytr bash plate cheap $65 -- but I like the looks of the ACD fusion $88
http://www.acdparts....bots/sabot1.jpg
-- foot begs, Ims or these
Yamaha FastwayEvolution III Footpegs

http://images.motors...2143061b488.jpg

Hand guards will be cycra's pro-bends and will add 1.5 inch risers.

Too many choices out there?

• l_campionero

Posted November 18, 2009 - 08:11 AM

....I....had to spend 6 weeks in a recliner taking Oxycodone and watching reruns of NCIS....

I feel for ya there! I spent ten weeks in 2004 with my drug of choice, beer and ibuprofen getting caught up on JAG and Sharon Osborne.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.