uh-oh - help

6 replies to this topic
  • 426_Tommy

Posted August 11, 2000 - 09:57 PM

Hey dudes, what's that plasticky waxy stuff in my swingarm linkage bearings. Now that I dug it all out, I'm wondering if they put it there for a reason. What have I done?! Any help appreciated. :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 12, 2000 - 08:18 PM

The fiber material next to the needle bearings are part of the bearing. I think the material is there to help hold the lubricant in the bearing but I am not sure. Unfortunately you will have to replace the bearings.(A friend of mine made the same mistake.) :)

• 427fastback

Posted August 12, 2000 - 09:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WRGUY:
The fiber material next to the needle bearings are part of the bearing. I think the material is there to help hold the lubricant in the bearing but I am not sure. Unfortunately you will have to replace the bearings.(A friend of mine made the same mistake.) :)[/
The wax material that you pulled out of your bearings is nothing more than a cage to hold the bearings in when they are new and dry. Now that you have removed it you may remove all the bearings,clean everything,repack the bearings and push the sleeves in.Put lots of grease in the outer race(the sleeve thats inside your swingarm)and this will hold the needles in place while you reasemble them.Just make sure you get them all back in.I purposely removed all the wax so i could service the bearings with out having to press them out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt_Porritt

Posted August 12, 2000 - 11:26 PM

Its not wax.. its a nolothyne rubber.
Its a cage basically.
Removing the cage changes the stress points under load on the rollers etc.. but not being a high speed item its prob ok to get away with it.

Pretty much if the rollers or balls come out of any bearing in any way then its time to to throw it away.

It does depend on the type of application though.
I've seen Fuel Oil purifier bearings fail while running at 10,000rpm.
These have enough enertia to keep the bowl spinning for 1/4 hr when shut down.
That sort of application you can't have a second through on bearings.

NOTE: I have seen a bearing failure in the linkage cause come major damage to the shock and linkages etc.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop
Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted August 14, 2000 - 03:11 AM

I learned my lesson with a RM 125. I didn't know that I had to lube the linkage. Eventually the linkage seized and broke. This wouldn't have been so bad, but it also bent my shock. Very expensive. Keep it lubed.
Nick

• 426_Tommy

Posted August 14, 2000 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback. This bike sure seems techy compared to my yz490, but all the more to play with. Now that you mention it, the needle bearings I've dealt with in the past (truck u-joints) have all done pretty well but the key has been to lube and relube. Well, off to the test track (Hesperia) :). Wow, nolethene rubber, what a super bitchin' web-site. See ya out there! We need some thumpertalk stickers.

• CraigW

Posted August 15, 2000 - 05:11 AM

The soft rubber bearing cage you dug out of the bearing is to ensure a uniform load distribution on the rollers inside the bearing. Even though you regrease the bearing I fear there may now be too much free space inside the unit. This could lead to the rollers bunching in one part of the bearing with the opposite side of the bearing circle being poorly supported. For safety sake I suggest you bite the bullet and replace the bearing before it fails prematurely with consequential damage to your suspension system.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.