2006 WR 450 thoughts...

24 replies to this topic
  • jayh300

Posted November 09, 2009 - 09:13 AM

Well, i have had my wr a few months now and for the most part, I really like it. The e start works great and the bike really does almost everything very well. I am having a little problem with stalling it on slow technical hill climbs. Mostly when you get down to first gear rock climbing stuff.. I am thinking a Rekluse would take care of that, but they are pretty pricy. It is stock geared so I was thinking about changing the rear sprocket a tooth or two to see if that would help. The bike is plenty fast as is.. I looked on steahly's website for a flywheel weight, but they only list a + 2 oz, which tells me the one in there is pretty heavy as is...

I realize the problem here is poor clutch management, just trying to get it better. The bike came with a magura hyd clutch kit that i have not put on yet. The clutch pull is just not that bad on this bike as is..
The inst. were not to good, but I taked to magura and they were very helpful, I just have been busy getting seat time so far..

any thoughts from the wr guru's

thanks in advance
jay

• kskyles

Posted November 09, 2009 - 09:21 AM

i don't know if the magura hydro will really help your stalling issues. the wr flywheel is also pretty heavy, so i don't know if there is anything to gain by doing that. for me, it was mostly just learning more clutch control...

now that being said, i just put a rekluse in my new-to-me bike, and i'm in love. i don't think it gets any better than the z-start pro. very expensive, but it's straight-up awesome.

so, if you don't want to spend the $$ for the rekluse, then i think a ton of practice is the best way to go.

• jayh300

Posted November 09, 2009 - 09:28 AM

that is kinda my thoughts too.. I just got real spoiled to my 300 smoker that would never shut off..... NEVER..... no matter what...

time to start saving up !!

• panaman

Posted November 09, 2009 - 10:11 AM

i never really have any problems going slow and stalling it..... The only bike I've owned that I had a problem with was my 2001 RM250... i even put a 11oz flywheel weight in that bike and it still sucked

• jayh300

Posted November 09, 2009 - 10:26 AM

i never really have any problems going slow and stalling it..... The only bike I've owned that I had a problem with was my 2001 RM250... i even put a 11oz flywheel weight in that bike and it still sucked

i do notice the more aggressive i ride it, the less it stalls. and just a small feather of the clutch usually takes care of it. I was really trying this last weekend to figure out where/why it was doing it. for example this only happened twice in 40 miles sunday... it was just at the worst times of course.
It is usually my fault.... too lazy riding.. death gripping the bars. brain fade..

• panaman

Posted November 09, 2009 - 10:33 AM

i do notice the more aggressive i ride it, the less it stalls. and just a small feather of the clutch usually takes care of it. I was really trying this last weekend to figure out where/why it was doing it. for example this only happened twice in 40 miles sunday... it was just at the worst times of course.
It is usually my fault.... too lazy riding.. death gripping the bars. brain fade..

well it will only happen at the worst times... nobody stalls the bike on straight flat 4 foot wide section of trail :smirk:

• tribalbc

Posted November 09, 2009 - 10:41 AM

Throw on a one tooth smaller countershaft sprocket and see what you think. It's cheap and if you like the improvement you can decide from there how many teeth you want to add to the rear to get your optimal results.
-1 tooth in front= +4 in the rear.
On my 07 stock is 13/50.
I went to 12/50 for a while for the tight stuff.
After adding YZ exhaust and increased low end I went to 13/52.
Now with my HC piston and YZ cams I have the extra grunt that I'm going to go 13/51.

In the end it still comes down to clutch control, though with lower gearing you will need it alot less.
Get in a habit of always keeping 1 or 2 fingers over the clutch. Clutching will become a habit you don't even think about :smirk:

• jayh300

Posted November 09, 2009 - 11:00 AM

that is a habit i am working on tribal... just not comfortable yet. I will start out with 2 fingers on the lever, then look down about 4 or 5 miles and have none... We try to ride the hardest trails we can find, and this is a bad habit I have gotten into...

One good thing on the wr.... one push of the button and I can usually lug it out of anywhere by myself...
it is just kinda frustrating. I hate not making hills/obstacles on the first attempt. Especially ones I ride all the time.

• kskyles

Posted November 09, 2009 - 01:25 PM

you know, just a quick thought, but how is your jetting? when i first got my bike it would flame out now and again. after spending some time with the jetting, it was good to go.

also, the poster above has a good point - swapping that front sprocket is a cheap mod to try.

if that doesn't do it for you, the rekluse is a lazy riders dream. it really is cheating....and i love cheating now.

• jayh300

Posted November 09, 2009 - 01:28 PM

jetting seems to be very good.. it has a jd kit on it by the previous owner.

i fit that lazy rider image...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted November 09, 2009 - 01:55 PM

Throw on a one tooth smaller countershaft sprocket and see what you think. It's cheap and if you like the improvement you can decide from there how many teeth you want to add to the rear to get your optimal results.
-1 tooth in front= +4 in the rear.
On my 07 stock is 13/50.
I went to 12/50 for a while for the tight stuff.
After adding YZ exhaust and increased low end I went to 13/52.
Now with my HC piston and YZ cams I have the extra grunt that I'm going to go 13/51.

In the end it still comes down to clutch control, though with lower gearing you will need it alot less.
Get in a habit of always keeping 1 or 2 fingers over the clutch. Clutching will become a habit you don't even think about :smirk:

Agree with all of this. Not really a fan of going down to the 12 front, but a cheap way to find out if that helps you or not. I'm thinking your ideal ratio might be somewhere around +2 on the rear. Also, make sure your idle is at a decent level. That helps more than you would think.

• jayh300

Posted November 09, 2009 - 03:01 PM

thanks brett.. good thoughts.

• GCannon

Posted November 09, 2009 - 03:09 PM

Agree with all of this. Not really a fan of going down to the 12 front, but a cheap way to find out if that helps you or not. I'm thinking your ideal ratio might be somewhere around +2 on the rear. Also, make sure your idle is at a decent level. That helps more than you would think.

I also have had great luck with turning up the idle, LOL, you will know it is just about high enough when it is forcing you into the downhill switchback turns too fast after you start riding down the hill you just climbed:banghead:

• BOBR

Posted November 09, 2009 - 03:13 PM

I had an 06' before my 08' and I really did not like the power delivery on that m/c. They made the power so linear the it seemed completely neutered. I put on a pipe and it made it much easier to ride in the tight stuff.

• jayh300

Posted November 09, 2009 - 03:21 PM

I had an 06' before my 08' and I really did not like the power delivery on that m/c. They made the power so linear the it seemed completely neutered. I put on a pipe and it made it much easier to ride in the tight stuff.

this one actually runs pretty good. It has an m4 exhaust, ais removed, jd jet kit. I really think my buds 04 pulls a little better than mine, but am not sure.

• jayh300

Posted November 09, 2009 - 03:22 PM

I also have had great luck with turning up the idle, LOL, you will know it is just about high enough when it is forcing you into the downhill switchback turns too fast after you start riding down the hill you just climbed:banghead:

i hear ya G.

• firffighter

Posted November 09, 2009 - 04:36 PM

I ride really tight stuff here in Oregon and 1 tooth smaller on the front or 2 larger on the rear really helps. With this gearing you are able to lug around in 2nd and use 1st for really steep stuff.

I agree that jetting plays a huge roll. Last weekend I went down with the bike in gear and it sat there on its side and idled the whole time.

With jetting spot on and a small gearing change I am able to lug this bike around just as well as my XR400 which is the king of lugging!

• jayh300

Posted November 09, 2009 - 05:02 PM

I ride really tight stuff here in Oregon and 1 tooth smaller on the front or 2 larger on the rear really helps. With this gearing you are able to lug around in 2nd and use 1st for really steep stuff.

I agree that jetting plays a huge roll. Last weekend I went down with the bike in gear and it sat there on its side and idled the whole time.

With jetting spot on and a small gearing change I am able to lug this bike around just as well as my XR400 which is the king of lugging!

checked again tonight to make sure on gearing... 14 - 50 so i think i will round up a 13 and give it a try, or maybe a 52 which ever one they have..

that is what i am looking for firffighter, exactly..

• kskyles

Posted November 10, 2009 - 08:37 AM

checked again tonight to make sure on gearing... 14 - 50 so i think i will round up a 13 and give it a try, or maybe a 52 which ever one they have..

that is what i am looking for firffighter, exactly..

that sounds like great gearing for singletrack. i should have tried that set up. i've got stock gearing and tried turning up the idle a little bit, andt that scared the religion out of me. i must have had it up to high, but the bike would push me through corners. i just didn't have the gumption for it.

• jayh300

Posted November 10, 2009 - 09:29 AM

that sounds like great gearing for singletrack. i should have tried that set up. i've got stock gearing and tried turning up the idle a little bit, andt that scared the religion out of me. i must have had it up to high, but the bike would push me through corners. i just didn't have the gumption for it.

i agree with that completly... I called our local yamy store and of course they have neither sprocket front or back... i will get it ordered today and hopefully be able to ride it again soon. We are getting close to winter here, so who knows. The last 2 weekends have been beautiful..

the 450 still kinda gets my attention at times. I need to learn to ride it harder/more aggressive. It is a handful... The main thing, on the 2 smoke 300 a handful of throttle is always the right thing, on the 450..... that is a different story.:smirk:

thanks for the input ..
jay

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.