110-Mile Street Ride, Oil In the Airbox..... Why?

1 reply to this topic
  • Dube2

Posted November 09, 2009 - 07:48 AM

So I took my 05 Dual Sport on a road trip this weekend. 110-miles round trip. When I got home I saw I had oil dripping from the airbox drain. Not too much, but more than I've evern seen before. Keep in mind the road trip was mostly freeway speeds and between 65 & 70MPH. She ran fine with no issues, then I saw the oil.
I know:banghead:, I have stock gearing and not the ultimate bike for these kind of rides, i was in a jamb and needed some transportation. So why did the airbox get this additional amout of oil?

Edited by Dube2, November 09, 2009 - 08:35 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted November 09, 2009 - 09:34 AM

I think this is just a result of extended high rpm riding. The baffle at the top of the valve cover does not seem to be able to handle it all. This is no different than a lot of bikes where the exit off the valve cover is actually higher than then end of the hose. I have always routed these lines out of the airbox and up and capped them with a Uni filter and have never seen a drop of oil afterwards. I don't like losing any oil on a bike that only starts out with about a quart. The downside is that you can now smell the oil when you are sitting at idle, but it's no big deal.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.