Oil Radiator for XR 650 R

4 replies to this topic
  • July

Posted April 24, 2003 - 05:30 AM

I am very interested in buying the Oil Radiator I saw in Enduro Magazine for my XR650 R 2001. This is a French magazine and I would like to know if this can be found in US too.

I will ride a 3000 miles rally next july and this would be perfect to ride faster and safer. My XR usually overheats after long periods with full throttle open. Specially on top speed for more than 15 minutes (100 mph).

Does anybody know where I can find this Oil Radiation for the XR around US ?

• JackAttack

Posted April 24, 2003 - 05:36 AM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dutch

Posted April 24, 2003 - 06:51 AM

I have not seen the cooler you refer to. If you are over heating there may be other problems, that shouldn't happen. You could "T" into the oil return line that runs up the frame on the right side and install a cooler into the system. That is a low pressure/high flow line so find a cooler the size you need and plumb it in. Are you running radiator guards? Jetted too lean? High pressure cap? Looked at the thermostat?

• qadsan

Posted April 24, 2003 - 08:58 AM

As Dutch said, make sure you're not jetted to lean, especially in the main jet since you say you're overheating at WOT. Check your spark plug to see if you're running lean at WOT and make changes accordingly.

You may also be able to adapt a XR250/XR400 oil cooler to your bike with a little bit of work and that should further help with oil temps while moving at speed.

• July

Posted April 24, 2003 - 09:18 AM

Thanks. I strongly think that carburation is OK but I will check again. Good to know that the 400 have the oil cooler. I will try to adapt it. I will also put a ventilator on the radiator to low speeds.

Its worth to say to XR 650 owners that the bike is umbelively &%$#@!y strong !! Last sunday I was in a 200 mile race on the south of Brazil (lot of sand and fas tracks) and in the mile 50/60 I run over a "caw" ! The only damage was a hole in the right side radiator (belive I was at least at 60 mph). So I had to ride for the next 150 miles with low water level and I still pushed the bike. I did the 9th place in 80 pilots.

Today I opened the engine to chech it out and the pistons, valves and everything is perfectly fine. I will only change the rings, but everything else is OK.

The bike is really a war tank !!

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.