Settings for Scott's Damper

10 replies to this topic
  • Jonesy920

Posted April 24, 2003 - 05:18 AM

Just trying to set up the Scott's , there are three different adjustments. It was suggested to me to run the lo speed basically off with the high speed on all the way for sudden jolts, rocks, roots etc. What about the angle of use setting ??? Any suggestions ?? How are you guys running them ??

• Fryboy

Posted April 24, 2003 - 05:43 AM

Hi Jonesy,

I run my high speed stock. It does fine just the way it is. The other setting (low speed) I tighten all the way then back off 7 clicks. I back off a few extra clicks every once in a while if it gets real tight and the bars seem hard to turn.

This past weekend I rode some pretty tight single track and the setting felt perfect.

Go ahead and experiment with it a bit but I doubt you will have to adjust the High speed setting. Enjoy your purchase! You will be stoked very soon! :)

• Jonesy920

Posted April 24, 2003 - 08:02 AM

That sound like the way I am leaning.. Did you adjust the effective angle of dampening ?

• Fryboy

Posted April 24, 2003 - 08:44 AM

Did I adjust the effective angle of dampening? Huh? Not sure what that means :) :D

In other words, no I didn't. :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 24, 2003 - 09:25 AM

I like high speed at max and low speed somewhere in the middle position. Full rotational range of dampening is the way I like it set up. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jonesy920

Posted April 24, 2003 - 10:06 AM

Yeah you can adjust the deflection angle with the adjustment screws on the sides. IE: when the bars are turned past 25 degrees the damper no longer is active.
LOCATED ON BOTH SIDES, these are what control the distance of damping force (or
sweep), from the center line out to either side until it releases. The stabilizer is then free to
move to the steering stop. This allows for easy steering in tight turns.
In order to determine where your sweep control is set you’ll notice a machined
bevel on one side of the slot head groove, that is the POINTER END. Don’t confuse the
threaded hole as the pointer, it’s the beveled side of the head of the sweep control.
Always look at each sweep control as the FACE of a CLOCK.
If setting is at 3 o’clock, the right-side valve would face toward the FRONT of
the bike and the left-side valve would be facing towards the BACK of the bike.
At the 12 o’clock setting both would be facing UP.
At the 6 o’clock setting both would be facing DOWN.
SWEEP VALVE ( both-sides)
9 o’clock damping
is 34 degrees.
12 o’clock damping
is 44 degrees.
3 o’clock damping
is 54 degrees.
6 o’clock damping
is full 78 degrees.
Sweep controls located on
each side are normally set
at the twelve o’clock
Key Feature: This prevents arm pump commonly created in other stabilizers.

-8- <pre><font class="small">code:<hr> </pre><hr>

• Dougie

Posted April 24, 2003 - 01:25 PM

Scott's has always suggested, to me anyway, to leave the high speed and sweep settings at stock positions, which I do. I run the slow speed setting around 8 and adjust from there for the conditions. I back it off to around 13 or more in really tight stuff or at tracks and go up to 6 if it is open and fast.

• sabin

Posted April 24, 2003 - 08:35 PM

Can't believe it, but I use it exactly the same as Dougie. I tried with more sweep, but I get airpump in tight stuff.

• Fryboy

Posted April 25, 2003 - 03:00 AM

Hey Jonesy,

Thanks for the explanation of the deflection angle. :) You broke it down nicely.

• Jonesy920

Posted April 27, 2003 - 12:56 PM

I stole it off the Scott's sight :)

• Fryboy

Posted April 27, 2003 - 03:12 PM

I stole it off the Scott's sight

Ya, I was gonna say you sounded like a .... well a Scott's salesman. :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.