YZ 426 Suspension To Do or Not To Do?

5 replies to this topic
  • Johnny_W

Posted August 11, 2000 - 12:48 PM

I am debating whether to spend the $$ and get the suspension done on my 426. I have talked to a few people and most seem to feel that the stock suspension is better that any aftermarket suspension. A few people have even said they wished they had not spent the $$ and left it the way it was. Besides, I am not sure I would be able to tell the difference. I had the Pro Circuit Works suspension on my CR 250. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

• Thumper448

Posted August 11, 2000 - 05:45 PM

Johnny,

Before you send your suspension off to a tuner, you really need to know what it is that you would like your suspension to do better. Since every rider has different preferences, without some good input from you a tuner could actually make your bike worse. On the other hand, if you know what it is that you require to make it better, I would think that any of the highly recommended tuners could help you out.

Make sure you are at least riding with the correct spring rates. Then note where your clickers, oil level and sag are at now and start playing with them until you start to get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Also, get someone to video tape you through different sections of the track and on different types of tracks. When watched in slow motion this will allow your tuner to see how your suspension is working.

Best of Luck,

Stace

------------------
Pretty fly for a fat guy!

• seadub

Posted August 20, 2000 - 07:18 PM

If you are in the San Diego area, go to Precision Concepts and talk to Bob Bell.
Figure out where you do the most riding, skill level, what you want your suspension to do better and have an accuate body weight with all your gear on, including camel back filled, and he will guide you in the right direction. My "new" 98 YZF had some suspension problems and he fixed them with a 6.0 rear spring. He does superior work, it's garanteed. He worked magic on my '96RM fork.

[This message has been edited by seadub (edited 08-20-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted August 21, 2000 - 01:40 PM

seadub

i have a WR & i weigh 200lb's. i'm running hare & hounds with a variety of hard & gloop riding. i have a 5.5 spring fitted & i'm still not happy.

how much do you weigh for you to need a 6.0 & what's it like?

• Johnny_W

Posted August 21, 2000 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for your input. I pretty much know how I would like my suspension to react. What I was more trying to find out was: Have those people that had their suspensions done noticed a marked difference. Many I have spoken with said that the aftermarket suspension work was not as effective as the stock suspension. Sure, there may have been a communication gap between the rider and the suspension shop, and that is why these people are not happy with the aftermarket work.

Or maybe, I am just trying to justify getting the work done and convincing the wife it was money well spent!!
JW

• seadub

Posted August 21, 2000 - 05:34 PM

I ride primarily in the desert in Southern California. The original owner had tsuspension work done by FMF and then I put the 6.0 spring and set the compression, sag and rebound myself. The bike is superplush in the whoops, skates over sand, the rear end tracks straight. I weigh 240 in full riding gear. My 200 pound firends also like the suspension setup.

Originally posted by Taffy:
seadub

i have a WR & i weigh 200lb's. i'm running hare & hounds with a variety of hard & gloop riding. i have a 5.5 spring fitted & i'm still not happy.

how much do you weigh for you to need a 6.0 & what's it like?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.