2006 YZ450F Valve Clearance

1 reply to this topic
  • FlashGordon

Posted November 08, 2009 - 09:37 PM

I was under the impression that the valve clearance for a bucket and shim set up got tighter over time due to valve stretch. On my 2006, I went from .009" on the Exhaust to .010" for both exhaust valves in about a year with 50 miles or so every other weekend. The intake on one stayed the same at .0055", one went from .0055" to .008", but the center one went from .0055" to ,010". Spec is .00039 to .00059.

Strange thing is, I measured the gaps, then measured the shims to see what I needed. I was able to swap two, and needed to buy two. When I re-assembled, 3 of those measured as expected, but the the center Intake, which shim was measured at .074" and replaced with a .079" still had a measured gap of .008", which is .002" out of spec.

Pretty weird that the one valve that was almost .005" out of spec, did not work out when I replaced the shim wit one that was .005" thicker, going from a 185 (.074") to a 200 (.079").

Anything I should be looking for on this valve that I may be missing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2009 - 10:34 PM

Two things come to mind. Generally, in order for a YZF valve train to gain clearance, something has to wear in a way that allows the cam and lifter to be farther from each other. Normally, the heel of the cam never contacts anything, so only the lifter becoming worn would do this, and that rarely ever happens to any significant degree. What can happen is for the upper half of the cam bore to wear in the cap, allowing the cam to lift away from the tappets as you check clearance.

The second way excessive clearance can occur is for the valves not to close correctly. Weak springs, carbon near the valve faces or on the stems, or bent valves are the usual cause. Carbon seems a likely suspect because the clearances are evidently not stable and consistent. If it's carbon, you can often bounce the valve open a time or two using a punch and cause it to settle in.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.