Most common oil leak location on new DR650's

11 replies to this topic
  • 996DL

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:23 AM

This past Friday a friend and I had both our DR650's out, for probably one of the last rides before winter. His low mileage 09 had some oil residue on top of the fins just above the header pipe. We'll pinpoint the location next spring and have Suzuki address the fix on warranty. However, which is the most common leak on a new DR ? The intake rocker cover appeared dry, with the exception of a little dust clinging to the sealing edges of the cover. I'm guessing it's the silicone sealing of the actual cam cover to be the culprit, although the left front cylinder head bolt could also be the cause ?

So, of all you owners of late model DR650's that developed an early upper topend oil leak, which was the most common failure point: rocker inspection covers, cam cover, or was it oil getting past a cylinder head bolt ?...

Minor issue, but with winter arriving here within days, we just don't have the time to address the search.

Thanks all !

996DL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlackBeast

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:52 AM

Both the '07 & the '09 models will have a metal base gasket and is seldom the problem these days. The leak you describe is possibly from the chain tension gasket. We had the same problem with one of ours, used some baby powder to find the exact weep, then cleaned with brake cleaner and replaced with new gasket, it's about a $2,50-$3.00 part.
Hope that helps.

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:02 AM

When new my '06 had a slight oil weep on the valve inspection cover, can't recall which. When I was checking valve clearance I wiped them clean (both surfaces) and torqued them evenly. No more leaks. (DO NOT over tighten)

No other leaks on my bike:banana:

• 996DL

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

The leak you describe is possibly from the chain tension gasket.

Not when I described the leak as "on top of the fins just above the header pipe." Mostly I was just curious how rare it is for the heads actual cam cover's silicone sealing to fail, or whether the left front cyl's head bolt, had ever been known to get oil past. When we address this in spring with it's first valve adjustment, I'd personally be suprised if it's anything other than a weep, from the intake valve inspection cover...

Edit: Make that "on top of the fins just above the header pipe's entry into the head..." The way I previously described it, could easily been understood to mean near the cam chain tensioner. :smirk:

996DL

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

To adjust valves you do not need to remove entire valve cover .... only the inspection covers. Easy. Checking valves can be done in 10 minutes once fuel tank is off.
Add 15 minutes if adjustment is needed. :smirk:

• NordieBoy

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

The cam cover is only sealed with gasket goo.
Mine is weeping slightly but I have no idea of the history of this engine and if anyone has had it apart and re-sealed it correctly.

The engine leans forward and to the left when on the stand. Any leak from up top will end up near the header.

• ncdr22

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:10 PM

Mine (and my buddies) weep from the rubber plug on the right side above cooling fins.....I just considered it "normal". Not sure what that plug is for.........is there a bolt/screw under there?

• mxrob

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:22 PM

Mine (and my buddies) weep from the rubber plug on the right side above cooling fins.....I just considered it "normal". Not sure what that plug is for.........is there a bolt/screw under there?

Cam-shaft bore end seal.... or as Suzuki affectionately calls it "Plug, head" :smirk:

• dflow

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:29 PM

It's the seal for the cam shaft end journal. My new to me '06 weeps from there and from the lower oil cooler hose but not where it bolts to the cooler or case. Still need to work on these leaks.
My '05 which I sold never weeped oil at all, not bad for 27K miles.
My friends '04 used to weep from the cam shaft seal and stopped recently on it's own.

• caymanwent

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:03 PM

On my 07, I have had a couple of leaks..the first was from the cam cover,..I pulled it off and discovered the only thing that the factory used was a VERY THIN layer of black silicone, I was able to remove this by simply rubbing it off with a cloth. I then used copper silicon RTV to reseal it and it has not leaked since. The other leak was the ACCT, which is another common leak on the DR. Did the same thing. Put the cylinder at TDC, pulled the ACCT and removed the stock gasket material. Used the same copper based RTV to seal it up and it seems to be holding seal very well...The only other area of concern could be the valve adjustment covers, but these use an o ring to seal...they might need to be resiliconed from time to time to keep them sealing up good....

• kingpinn

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

dr650s 06 cam chain tensioner gasket leak.

• 996DL

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

To adjust valves you do not need to remove entire valve cover .... only the inspection covers.

I wish you would have told me that, before I pulled the motor out of the frame ! :ride: :smirk:
Been doing valve adjustments for a few decades, thanks though.

996DL

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.