Are YZ426s duds from factory?

27 replies to this topic
  • tek_01

Posted November 07, 2009 - 03:29 AM

Hey fellas i have been talking to a few guys and im also looking at either getting a yz400/426/450. From a couple guys that i have spoke to said that the 426's were riddled with problems, like 2nd and 3rd gear going every 6 months etc.

Ive been searching on here and google for common problems on yz426s and i cant seem to find any solid evidence. Only thing i can find is the clutch gets grabby but can be fixed with new parts from an 03.

So my question is before i actually buy one, should i not get a certain model? also heard the 03 450's were no good either?

Seems like the yz400s were solid from what i can gather
To be honest i dont mind small fixes but stuff that involves splitting cases etc im not willing to do
any advice helpful
thanks

• usp4u

Posted November 07, 2009 - 05:33 AM

If you are looking for a bike that will require as little maintnence as your XR, none of them will be. It's just not the nature of any of the "modern" 4 strokes. That said, all the YZ's have a well deserved reputation as the most reliable. They are all good and each model update was an improvement over the previous. I've never owned a 400 or 426 myself, but in regaurd to the '03 I can tell you this...
I ran a modified '03 engine in my Hybrid race quad for 4 yrs. with never a single problem. If there is a real test for a dirtbike engine and transmission, it's that. Add 100lbs. and a lot more traction for the quad coupled with a modified motor, its a recipe to damage a trans. Never had a single issue in 4 years of MX. The only "issue" with the '03 is the aggressive power delivery.

• tmc55

Posted November 07, 2009 - 08:04 AM

I have a 2000 yz426f and it is a beast with no problems at all i love it.

• GENE426

Posted November 07, 2009 - 08:09 AM

My 2002 YZ426F was a great bike with no problems except that they dont have auto Decompress cam
so starting is a tad harder than a 03 or newer 450.
They were a little heavier than the newer bikes BUT I loved mine

• tek_01

Posted November 07, 2009 - 12:23 PM

[/QUOTE]f you are looking for a bike that will require as little maintnence as your XR, none of them will be. It's just not the nature of any of the "modern" 4 strokes.[/QUOTE]

I understand this 100% and im very handy working on bikes and cars. My Xr was immaculate compared to a a few bikes i have seen around that age.
I am willing to do much more regular maintenance on the YZ. I just dont want to buy a bike that has a problem from factory that i dont know about. Like the 96 model XRs had countershaft problems which was upgraded in 99. Thats the sort of stuff im talking about
thanks so far for, and keep it coming

• supermoto400

Posted November 07, 2009 - 08:13 PM

I can tell you from personal experience just how tough the Yamaha engine/trx. is. I purchased my '99 WR400 new back in '99 and in the last 10 years it has been through an amazing amount of punishment including Hare Scambles, Enduro, MX, Dual Sport (yes, it's plated), and 3 seasons of SuperMoto. Through out all the high RPM pavement action along with all the other abuse the valves have been adjusted a single time. I've proactivley replaced the water pump once, replaced the clutch twice (fiber plates), chain & sprockets, oil & filters... that it. From what I understand the newer 426 addressed some of the weakness in the 400 and should prove to be even tougher. I will be burried with this bike, it's amazing!

• MEBANE NIGHT

Posted November 08, 2009 - 05:51 AM

never had a gear problem with mine in a little heavy but you will get used ti it..

• mxmaddman

Posted November 08, 2009 - 08:14 AM

The guys you talked to have no idea what they are talking about. 426's are legendary for reliability and performance. If you take care of them they last.

• Mark Grant

Posted November 08, 2009 - 08:17 AM

My buddy bought one new in 02, hasn't done anything but maintain it and it still runs better than some new 450's that we ride with. Those are some of the best modern 4t's ever made. They are not duds. You need to jam a hot cams ext. cam in to get the auto decompressor, then it's all good.

• tek_01

Posted November 08, 2009 - 12:31 PM

Well i found a good deal and purchased an 05 450f yesterday night =) going to pick it up today! cant wait...just like a kid with a new toy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mikeb12

Posted November 08, 2009 - 03:39 PM

my buddy rides a 426 and it is as reliable as a rock.

• milk

Posted November 08, 2009 - 09:12 PM

my buddy rides a 426 and it is as reliable as a rock.

that's a confusing analogy, i guess it depends on what you want to do with the rock eh? :ride:

i just got a 2002 yz426 mself about a month and a half - two months ago. not a lot of time on it yet but i traded a 2005 drz250 for it and couldn't be happier. no electric start so i had to get used to that but coming off of the drz racing it all summer this thing is a dream to ride. it's lighter and talk about a horsepower increase. well i guess that goes without saying.

but anyway when i first got my 426 it was evident that the po didn't have very many hours on it but i went over the bike completely anyway. aside from the clutch cable needing replaced it and the idle and fuel mix being set properly it ran good. now after getting used to the decompression lever and the starting procedure thanks to the sticky in this forum, and checking the valves and replacing the spark plug it starts and runs great. haven't had a problem with it yet :smirk: looking forward to a full racing season with it next season

• clintong

Posted November 15, 2009 - 04:00 AM

i had a yz 426 for around three years. only issue was the clutch was a bit grabby but who cares when all you need to do is wrap it on and dump it. plug did fowl ocasionaly but fitted an irridium ngk and never had the issue again. appart from that no problems what so ever. great bike, likes to power stand in third which can be a little daunting when you come out of a corner and shes trying to throw you off the back, but hey it all adds to the excitement. only reason i got rid of her was i brought a brand new ktm 525. i loved the yzf but nothing can compare to the monster talk the big boys throw at ya
hope i have helped. regards clint

• ninthrazor

Posted November 18, 2009 - 10:41 PM

Hey fellas i have been talking to a few guys and im also looking at either getting a yz400/426/450. From a couple guys that i have spoke to said that the 426's were riddled with problems, like 2nd and 3rd gear going every 6 months etc.

Ive been searching on here and google for common problems on yz426s and i cant seem to find any solid evidence. Only thing i can find is the clutch gets grabby but can be fixed with new parts from an 03.

So my question is before i actually buy one, should i not get a certain model? also heard the 03 450's were no good either?

Seems like the yz400s were solid from what i can gather
To be honest i dont mind small fixes but stuff that involves splitting cases etc im not willing to do
any advice helpful
thanks

I have a 2000 YZ426F and I lvoe this bike. I upgraded from a 1998 YZ250 (2-stroke) and it was a bitter sweet upgrade. The weight of the bike on the trails is a bad factor, but the power more than makes up for it. i have enver had any issues in the last 2 years I have owned my 426. Then again, I put the wrendh time in on almost every bolt before every ride. I change the oil regularly and have no evidence of any internal motor damage at all. i lveo my bike and until i upgrade to a 450F, this will be the bike I will have for years to come.

• Florida_426

Posted November 19, 2009 - 03:47 AM

Well, he has gotten a 450 but I'll put in here that my 02 426 has been very reliable and a blast to ride. Regular maintenance per the manual with good oil and other fluids make a big difference. Went to Renthal bars, chain and sprockets, added a Dr.D hot start trigger and 756 tires. I did replace the clutch with a complete Hinson basket, inner hub and pressure plate and EBC clutch plates form the TT store at 3 years as a precaution. What a fun bike to own!

Bill

Edited by Florida_426, November 19, 2009 - 08:59 AM.

• bill97gtp

Posted January 11, 2010 - 10:04 PM

Been riding my 2000 yz 426 about ten hours every weekend rain or shine.only thing I've had to do was keyway and change oil......and tires too

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 11, 2010 - 11:15 PM

i have had my 01 for 2 years and have had no problems. Love it.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 12, 2010 - 09:26 AM

Well i found a good deal and purchased an 05 450f yesterday night =) going to pick it up today! cant wait...just like a kid with a new toy

these motors blow up every 3hrs....:banghead:

just kidding.....all yamis if maintained correctly are bulletproof...including your 05. If any of them are not maintained correctly they all will eventually blow up

• pembell

Posted January 12, 2010 - 11:37 AM

I just bought an '02 426 from a friend. He knew the guy who had it before him - no problems for either of them.

Great bike.

• Bambislayer

Posted January 12, 2010 - 11:48 AM

the 1st gen Yamaha 4 strokes (98-02) are probably the most reliable 4 stroke MX bikes out there. Yamaha had to over build and over engineer the bikes to ensure they were totally bulletproof because if "their" wacky idea of running 4 strokes in motocross resulted in all sorts of problems then it would not catch on. a negative side effect was their weight. they are tanks by current standards.

Honda definitely put the shot across Yamaha's bow with the 02 CRF that has led us to the ultra expensive yet ultra lightweight modern 4 strokes we have now.

you can find 02 426s for cheap and if you find one with low original hours on it that has been taken care of it can be a real bargain because they all cost essentially the same=cheap

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.