quick yz cam timing question before i but the cam caps back on?

14 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted November 06, 2009 - 03:37 PM

does my cam timing look right for yz timing? my bike is an 01 wr426f and i replaced the cam chain and tried to yz time the bike. need quick help so i can button her up and test things out. thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 06, 2009 - 04:45 PM

dropped that little clip on one of the cams into the motor. hopefully ill be able to get it out. dam it!!!! my magnet that i have is to large to fit it the space it fell, down along the cam chain guides is where it dropped into. anybody every drop it in there and have luck getting it out with a flexible magnet? i would really rather not have to take the rotor and staror back off. hopefully its laying where i can get to it with a smaller flexible magnet. also i still need to know if the timing looks good. thanks

• tcmII

Posted November 06, 2009 - 07:00 PM

I have. I have a magnet that is about 1/2 in diameter on a handle. Luckily I stuck it in all of the open areas and one of them worked. I got it at the local autoparts store. Hope you have the same luck.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 06, 2009 - 09:36 PM

i think i should be able to fish it out. i went and bought a smaller magnet. didnt go back out and mess with it though. i put the cam caps on and didnt torque them down and the exhaust cam cap wasnt setting flush so i decided to take it bach off to make sure that little clip disnt come out of place on the cam. while pulling the cap back off the clip dropped into th engine on the fltwheel side. if i cant grab it with a magnet ill just pull the cover off again. still not real sure on the alignment of my cams. i know there is 12 pins between them and thats right for yz timing and it looks pretty good to me so i think there in the right spot????

• Parx_400

Posted November 07, 2009 - 10:43 PM

I did the same thing with my old 400. Ended up having to take the head off to get it out.

BTW, I thought yz time was 13 pins. I know it is on ther\ 450

• mxmaddman

Posted November 08, 2009 - 10:19 AM

The lobes look to be in the correct alignment. how about the lower line on the flywheel?

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 08, 2009 - 04:34 PM

it was on the I mark right after the H when i took the picture. i had to remove the flywheel again cause i dropped one cam clip down into the engine. got it out. but i over torqued down the three bolts that came with the puller onto the flywheel and the threads on the flywheel stripped and i had the plate part of the flywheel puller stuck to the flywheel so i sawed the heads off the bolts and got it off. i can either drill the rest of the bolts out and re tap the holes i stripped or buy another rotor for 150 bucks. im leaning toward a new one because i dont have a tap for it and it got scractched a little sawing the bolts off on the outside of it. some one said i could heli coil it but im not sure how much those cost and if its even worth doing it rather than buying a new rotor. can i use new clips that go on the cams and the groove in the cam caps in my old cams? ones got a nic on it so its not perfectly smooth. i was thinking if i ordered i new rotor i would just buy those clips also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cjard

Posted November 09, 2009 - 10:19 AM

If you take a look at my thread re timing my 01 YZ426, you'll see some nice hi res pics. Compare my cams and yours; you can see that my punch marks on the exhaust cam are in a different place to yours (and if your exhaust cam was marked up with where my punch mark your engine would be timed like mine is.. i.e. YZ timing)

My thread:
http://www.thumperta...ewpost&t=847051
(you posted in it :smirk: )

cj

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2009 - 03:19 PM

If you take a look at my thread re timing my 01 YZ426, you'll see some nice hi res pics. Compare my cams and yours; you can see that my punch marks on the exhaust cam are in a different place to yours (and if your exhaust cam was marked up with where my punch mark your engine would be timed like mine is.. i.e. YZ timing)

My thread:
http://www.thumperta...ewpost&t=847051
(you posted in it :smirk: )

cj

Your info does not expressly apply to his situation, since he was retiming a WR cam to YZ timing.

• cjard

Posted November 10, 2009 - 05:06 AM

I think you misunderstood the intention my post.. I have pics of a YZ cam, he has pics of a WR cam. If he looks at my pic and imagines that he has a YZ cam instead of a WR one then the indent would align with the top of the head..

He can use my pics and his pics to compare the difference of where the punch mark is and check that, if his machine contained a proper YZ cam, it would be timed up as per a YZ, no? Or thought about it another way, if he uses my pics to put a dot of white correction fluid on his cam where the indent is on a YZ, and then times to the white dot he'll arrive at the conclusion that the exhaust cam in the WR is on YZ time.

I thought he was looking for a double check that he hadnt timed up by moving the WR exhaust sprocket one tooth in the wrong (anti-clockwise) direction.. But if this post has helped clear up any confusion, then thumbs up!

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2009 - 10:20 AM

I think you misunderstood the intention my post..

I don't think so. The timing mark alignment on either engine is identical in stock, original form, regardless of whether it's a WR or a YZ. The only difference is in the position that the OEM WR camshaft is installed into the sprocket.

In his case, in which he was resetting a WR cam to YZ timing specs, the intake marks are used as intended, but the exhaust cam is re-indexed one tooth retarded from its original marked position. Thus, the pictures of your correctly aligned timing marks don't really address his particular situation.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 10, 2009 - 05:59 PM

will oil getting poured on the spark plug foul it? i was pouring oil on the cams and some got in the spark plug hole. im waiting on a new rotor and still have the valve cover off so ive been pouring some oil on the cams to protect them and covering the engine with plastic. i was wondering if i might have foulded the plug. hope its still good because i dont have a new one.

• matt4x4

Posted November 11, 2009 - 07:59 AM

ok, if oil got in the spark plug hole, I would presume you don't have a plug in the bike and the oil ran into the cylinder, if the oil ran into the access shaft and around an installed plug, you wouldn't foul it, you would protect it from rusting on the outside of the bike and the oil will eventually run out the drain hole in the side of your head.
if you want, you can spray some cleaner down the hole (with the plug in only though) and the oil will run out the side hole.

ALWAYS blow compressed air into that hole before removing the plug but make sure you have the spark plug wire removed first.

• grayracer513

Posted November 11, 2009 - 11:25 AM

I think he means that he poured oil down into the spark plug well and onto the exterior of the plug while he had the cover off. Just wash it off with carb spray after the cam cover goes back on and let it run out the drain hole on the side of the head.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 11, 2009 - 02:12 PM

that is what i mean so it should be ok?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.