When is the 2010 450 hitting the east coast?

32 replies to this topic
  • Mike546

Posted January 29, 2010 - 05:53 AM

Keep an eye on eBay, I've see a couple go through for $7900 shipped anywhere in the US. After I paid tax on mine it was only a few dollars less.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 29, 2010 - 07:03 AM

I called ss powersports in Ky. and he has just one and will not get any more. It will cost $8500.00 out the door tax and all. It will be about a 7 hour drive for me though.

Does anyone know of a shop down in North carolinia or south carolina that has one ready to be sold?

• Mike546

Posted January 29, 2010 - 11:45 AM

I called ss powersports in Ky. and he has just one and will not get any more. It will cost $8500.00 out the door tax and all. It will be about a 7 hour drive for me though.

Does anyone know of a shop down in North carolinia or south carolina that has one ready to be sold?

Why would you have to pay tax if you buy it out of state. What kind of price is the first one. If it's 7 hours each way thats a long haul.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2010 - 12:57 PM

Why would you have to pay tax if you buy it out of state.

If he goes to Kentucky to get it, he won't be out of state. If you came to California to buy the bike, I guarantee you'll either pay the sale tax or you'll go home empty handed. You probably wouldn't have to pay the $50 for the ORV sticker, but the tax and title you're stuck with.

• Mike546

Posted January 29, 2010 - 01:13 PM

If he goes to Kentucky to get it, he won't be out of state. If you came to California to buy the bike, I guarantee you'll either pay the sale tax or you'll go home empty handed. You probably wouldn't have to pay the $50 for the ORV sticker, but the tax and title you're stuck with.

He's from Virginia.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2010 - 02:07 PM

And you're from New York. The entire transaction takes place in Kentucky. He pays the tax if it's charged against the sale. If I come to New York and by a spark plug, I pay the sales tax in spite of the fact I live in California. Sales tax is sales tax.

He wouldn't have to pay current year state registration fees, but probably would have to pay for ownership documentation.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted January 29, 2010 - 03:02 PM

The way I understood him is that I pay virginia sales tax. Why else would he have asked me what the sales tax was in VA?

I asked him what the OTD price would be and he asked me were I lived and I told him Virginia and then he asked me what the sales tax was out here and I didnt know right off but thold him I thought it was 8%.

He then done some figureing and said it would be roughly $8500.00

I went to my shop at home here and Robert (my riding friend that owns the shop) said the one he ordered he got it for me at $7500.00 OTD. Thats hard to beat so I guess I will just have to wait, but he said he would like to have another one in the shop to sale and would like to buy it from someone but he couldnt see putting $8000.00 to $8500.00 in it cause he said it would be to hard to sell.

So if I could find one somewhere for his OTD price fairly close (say no more than a 4 to 5 hour drive) it would be kinda worth it for me to get it since it may take a little while for his to come in.

I called several places today 3 to 4 hours away down in north and south carolina and some places had 2 or 3 of them on the floor and some places didnt have any in yet either. The one that did have them in like the one that had two of them on the floor had deposits on them of $100.00 but hadnt heard anything from the guy's and they have had them in for two weeks.

One Yamaha dealer down Charlotte North carolina had one on the floor ready to be sold but wanted $8700.00 said if I were in the shop right now he could work the price better and come down on it but I doubt he would come down under 8 grand.

One shop in South carolina said his two were coming in feburary but he wouldnt expext it until late march or even april by the way they ship since he said the shipping date was just an estiment.

Maybe since my shop here at home said the delievery date was going to be late december/January it may be here in feburary hopefully next week.

At this point who knows........May be yamaha should have done these new 450's like they done the V-Max's and took order's with at least 10% down payments and made just those for people who wanted one.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2010 - 03:30 PM

The way I understood him is that I pay virginia sales tax. Why else would he have asked me what the sales tax was in VA?

That's important in many cases, depending on your state of residence. If he writes it up that way, you'll only pay the tax in VA. If he did not write the sale up as having VA collect the sales tax, you could be double dipped. That sort of thing happens to Californians all the time if they aren't aware of it ahead of time. If the sale occurs out of state, they'll collect a "use tax" that's the exact equivalent of the CA sales tax when you bring the vehicle home and register it.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 29, 2010 - 05:08 PM

I thought it was different for major purchases. I don't pay for the taxes out or state. However, I am supposed to report the purchase in my state and pay the tax.
I know this is true for a vehicle. I bought one in North Carolina. Paid no taxes there but had to pay the VA tax when I went to get it registered in VA.

In other words, if I go to another state and buy this bike, I don't have to pay sales tax on it. Which means when I come back to Virginia with it, as long as I keep my mouth shut and just use it to race and ride MX, I am good to go.

And if this is the case, when people make large purchases, why don't they just go to other states and not pay sales tax. Unless the shop selling it is responsible for reporting the purchase.

• Mike546

Posted January 29, 2010 - 06:47 PM

And you're from New York. The entire transaction takes place in Kentucky. He pays the tax if it's charged against the sale. If I come to New York and by a spark plug, I pay the sales tax in spite of the fact I live in California. Sales tax is sales tax.

He wouldn't have to pay current year state registration fees, but probably would have to pay for ownership documentation.

He's not buying a spark plug, He's buying a motor vehicle which has to be registered and sales tax paid in his state of residence. If he chooses not to register it he can save the tax. That's the way it works in NY, I've bought bikes in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania and never paid tax unless I decided to register it.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2010 - 09:31 PM

It all depends on what is actually being taxed, and it's going to vary a lot from state to state. California is a product of 30+ years of more or less uninterrupted liberal control, and they tax everything. Here it's a sales tax, and it's no different for a spark plug or a Mercedes SL550. You pay 8.25% to the state on everything you buy including motor vehicles (which does not keep you from paying other taxes on the motor vehicle, BTW), and if you should happen to bypass the tax by buying from a private party, they call it use tax and get it from you anyway.

Depending on which other state you come from, retail dealers are sometimes allowed to have the buyer fill out a sales tax form for his home state instead, and California will then waive the tax. There's a fee for that, of course.

California is not likely to be the only state that does this, either, so it's wise to check the situation out before you cut the deal.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 30, 2010 - 06:39 AM

Our sales tax in VA ,I found out is 5% One thing I wanted to ask that I just remembered was........... My friend bought his boy a YZ 85 for him last year off my buddy down at the shop.

Later in the year robert that owns the shop told my friend he needed to have the bike registered. I believe that is what he called it. Said it was something new that all shops had to start doing in VA.

i dont think he had to pay anyhing and this took place like 6 months after he had bought the bike from him. I remember it had somthing maybe to do with the DMV maybe. Or it might not have I cant remember

• Mike546

Posted January 30, 2010 - 07:11 AM

As long as he had the receipt that showed he had already paid tax in Virginia he wouldn't have to pay again when he registered the bike. If he bought it from a private party or from out of state he would pay the tax. Here in N.Y. if you only ride on private MX tracks you don't need to register the bike so buying out of state or from a private party has an advantage.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.