2009 YZ450F with HPSD dampener

13 replies to this topic
  • saccityfire

Posted November 05, 2009 - 07:53 PM

2009 YZ450F with 2009 CR450 HPSD. It took a while to fit it but the work was worth it. I rode today at Mammoth Bar in Cali and it feels great. Dampener is confidence inspiring and I'm gonna mess with raising the forks just a bit to get a steeper steering angle with the new found stability. Only advice is run it soft. I started on 3 in from full soft and it was a bit too much (resisted turn in), backed off to 2 and look out!!

Here's a pic of the dampener mounted.

http://www.flickr.co...N05/4078918305/

I drilled and tapped the front of steering tube and used the Honda post slightly modified. (see note **)

Then created the bottom mount point out of 2" by 1/8" angle aluminum drilled and bolted to bottom triple above fender.

Placed "electronics" in area between engine top and frame.

Front number plate only needs some rear webbing removed and is completely unchanged visually from the front.

** If I had it to do over, I would bolt an angled piece of 1/4" aluminum that is shaped to make front of steering tube square to front of bike (it's angled). This will save modification time to Honda mount piece and give a thicker mounting point (1/4 plus steering tube thickness all drilled and tapped)

Blue lock-tite on all bolts.

It takes some work and fabrication. Don't do this unless you are confident with measuring, drills, taps etc.. Otherwise :smirk:

:ride:

• jasonlion54

Posted November 06, 2009 - 01:07 AM

Do you have any more pictures? What did you do with the CDI?

• rufusz

Posted November 06, 2009 - 04:14 AM

Hi

I believe the mounting of the damping unit to the triple clamp is a really weak spot. Try to make a mounting like in the attached image from alu. You can file it yourself if you don't have access to a machine shop or don't have a friend who can do it. That single sheet of alu doesn't have enough resistance against twisting. Better use stainless steel.

Posted Image

Side view. Hatched is tripleclamp and steerings temp, gray is alu block, blue are screws (2-2 in from each direction). M6 at least.

• saccityfire

Posted November 06, 2009 - 09:14 AM

Here are some more pictures.

http://www.flickr.co...10@N05/?saved=1

RUFUSZ, What makes you think the triple clamp mount is really weak? it is solidly bolted from the bottom with the front two fender bolts and sits flush against the front of the triple. I moved handlebars a lot to inspect for any movement of mount and there is no flex, especially as the dampener only moves about 1" of travel on full turn to locks and the forces aren't that strong. I will inspect before every ride just as I inspect all items on my bike. While I really do appreciate any and all feedback, IMO your proposed mount will not allow the bottom pivot of the dampener to work thus causing a constant twist of the dampener shaft leading to premature wear. Additionally, the dampener is designed to mount at an angle to the steering tube not vertical so your design would be further difficult to use. Please correct me with science if I'm wrong.

Edited by saccityfire, November 06, 2009 - 09:41 AM.
Added more pictures

• cowboyona426

Posted November 06, 2009 - 09:24 AM

saccityfire, how much did the damper set you back? I always thought this would be a good mod on my bike, glad to see someone actually made it work!

• saccityfire

Posted November 06, 2009 - 09:45 AM

I paid $250 for dampener and 1 machined honda conical aluminum mount. Found it online new for $219 after the fact.

The parts were about $20

Total $270.

It really does make a big difference in stability. It does require some patience and skill to get it to fit. see my notes on how I would modify the top mount.

• saccityfire

Posted November 06, 2009 - 09:47 AM

I will find a better way to mount the CDI. This was temporary cause I wanted to ride BAD!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted November 06, 2009 - 10:13 AM

Looks pretty slick to me, nice work.

• saccityfire

Posted November 07, 2009 - 07:44 AM

Just ordered my MRD pipe. 96db with spark arrestor insert. hopefully this will be better than the stock with promoto billet spark arrestor installed.

Any opinions on this order?

• RJacks

Posted November 08, 2009 - 04:58 PM

Damper, not dampener.

• saccityfire

Posted November 08, 2009 - 07:30 PM

Actually the device is a damper that works as a dampener as it makes it possible for me to ride longer. The longer I ride the sweatier I get thus "dampener".

• Windseeker

Posted March 17, 2010 - 05:49 PM

can anyone please give the Honda original part no for the damper? Thanks. Will try to fit it on 2010.

• rmx250rider

Posted March 17, 2010 - 08:02 PM

I paid $250 for dampener and 1 machined honda conical aluminum mount. Found it online new for $219 after the fact.

The parts were about $20

Total $270.

It really does make a big difference in stability. It does require some patience and skill to get it to fit. see my notes on how I would modify the top mount.

$95.00 shipped from mxbonz

• Windseeker

Posted March 18, 2010 - 01:17 AM

Thank you - hope that will come through and reach me in mother russia :banana:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.