GYTR 4.83 oz flywheel

31 replies to this topic
  • Adammoto

Posted November 05, 2009 - 08:48 AM

Is anyone using this flywheel? I see lots of recommendations from gray and others recommending the heavier 9.21 oz GYTR flywheel, but no comments on the lighter one. I'm looking for a modest increase in flywheel over the stock, not a trials bike.

A friend of mine has Steahly's lighest (7 oz.) flywheel on his YZ250F - and that amount of increase is about right. Not sure how the GYTR flywheels compare to the Steahly though.

• grayracer513

Posted November 05, 2009 - 09:09 AM

A friend of mine has Steahly's lighest (7 oz.) flywheel on his YZ250F - and that amount of increase is about right.

That should tell you something right there. Having used DRD 4oz and GYT-R 5.5 ounce flywheels on my '03, I can tell you that they have very little noticeable effect, and I consider them a waste of time.

The YZ450 is a bigger engine than the 250F, and has a smaller flywheel as built. In fact, the flywheel is smaller than your gas cap, if you've never seen one. The 450 crank is heavier, of course, but the engine is way down on rotating mass for its size. The GYT-R off-road (9oz) flywheel on my '06 takes NOTHING away from the engine in terms of snap, and in fact, it will actually pull a little harder than my son's bike with the stock flywheel when run side by side. It does give it the ability to pull harder at a lower speed, run smoother at a lower speed, and stall less often. IMO, the bike should have been built with at least this much weight on it.

• cowboyona426

Posted November 05, 2009 - 09:17 AM

What gray said!!!

• Adammoto

Posted November 05, 2009 - 10:16 AM

Sold.

Thanks guys.

• pbviking

Posted November 05, 2009 - 07:03 PM

That should tell you something right there. Having used DRD 4oz and GYT-R 5.5 ounce flywheels on my '03, I can tell you that they have very little noticeable effect, and I consider them a waste of time.

The YZ450 is a bigger engine than the 250F, and has a smaller flywheel as built. In fact, the flywheel is smaller than your gas cap, if you've never seen one. The 450 crank is heavier, of course, but the engine is way down on rotating mass for its size. The GYT-R off-road (9oz) flywheel on my '06 takes NOTHING away from the engine in terms of snap, and in fact, it will actually pull a little harder than my son's bike with the stock flywheel when run side by side. It does give it the ability to pull harder at a lower speed, run smoother at a lower speed, and stall less often. IMO, the bike should have been built with at least this much weight on it.

Gray,
Is this the fly wheel weight you currently have? http://www.yamaha-mo...5/0/detail.aspx

I was thinking about buying and then changing the gearing to some like a 13/46. Would the bottom pull be similar to the 13/49 gearing with the stock fly wheel? I am not sure how much the flywheel makes off the bottom.

• FinchFan194

Posted November 05, 2009 - 10:15 PM

I have the heaviere GYTr weight and run 13/47 on my 08 and I am in love with the combination.

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2009 - 08:31 AM

Gray,
Is this the fly wheel weight you currently have? http://www.yamaha-mo...5/0/detail.aspx

I was thinking about buying and then changing the gearing to some like a 13/46. Would the bottom pull be similar to the 13/49 gearing with the stock fly wheel? I am not sure how much the flywheel makes off the bottom.

That's the part number, but the picture is of the earlier unit for the '03-'05 model. Which year model do you have?

• pbviking

Posted November 06, 2009 - 07:07 PM

That's the part number, but the picture is of the earlier unit for the '03-'05 model. Which year model do you have?

have an 07 yz450

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2009 - 08:57 PM

The improvement to low end pull is kind of a subtle thing. It shows up one day when you find yourself thinking that the bike bike seems to really be running smooth and pulling hard at low speed, and you don't remember when it had that much grunt. Then you realize it's the flywheel doing it. I don't know it's three teeth worth or not, but it's certainly significant.

• rexbond007

Posted November 06, 2009 - 09:29 PM

i have run the off road heavy gytr fly weight since day one. for my 07 and it was the best investment i ever made!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pbviking

Posted November 06, 2009 - 10:12 PM

thank you guys

• BlackT5

Posted November 07, 2009 - 07:40 AM

In regards to the heavier flyweel, any drawbacks once on a Motocross track? Is it harder to pop the front wheel up? What is the drive like out of turns?

I know its alot of questions but I've always wanted to know. I've been thinking about changing the flywheel for a while. Especially since I an a novice rider.

• grayracer513

Posted November 07, 2009 - 08:17 AM

In regards to the heavier flyweel, any drawbacks once on a Motocross track? Is it harder to pop the front wheel up? What is the drive like out of turns?

In order, no, no, and the drive leaving turns is improved because low end power is improved, the bike pulls harder sooner, and traction is improved.

• mavis0826

Posted November 07, 2009 - 09:28 AM

would a 07 wr450 flywheel work in a 09 yz450? Whats to difference in the two in terms of weight?

• mywifefarts

Posted November 07, 2009 - 09:46 AM

In order, no, no, and the drive leaving turns is improved because low end power is improved, the bike pulls harder sooner, and traction is improved.

Would there be significantly more engine braking coming into corners compared to using less flywheel weight?

• grayracer513

Posted November 07, 2009 - 11:06 AM

Would there be significantly more engine braking coming into corners compared to using less flywheel weight?

Actually, adding rotating mass works in opposition to engine braking, since the additional inertia tends to keep things in motion. The difference, which probably does exist, is not noticeable, really.

• mywifefarts

Posted November 07, 2009 - 12:51 PM

Actually, adding rotating mass works in opposition to engine braking, since the additional inertia tends to keep things in motion. The difference, which probably does exist, is not noticeable, really.

Wow!. in light of all this info I can't figure out why we all aren't using more flywheel weight.:smirk: I did try a 9oz. weight on my '04 YZ250 and was pleased. It was noticable when riding sand tracks as well. Particularly in the corners.

• FinchFan194

Posted November 07, 2009 - 02:11 PM

I am in love with my GYTr offroad FWW. It made the bike so smooth off the bottom great traction and it still pulls hard up top no prob.

• tek_01

Posted November 08, 2009 - 02:23 AM

What other options are there for FWW for yz450s? anything heavier ? or you wouldnt consider anything heavier? other makes of flywheels available?

• DPW

Posted November 08, 2009 - 06:24 AM

I ride only MX and have the heavier GYTR Off-road flywheel weight on my '08 and the same weight was on my '06. I highly recommend it there is zero drawback and for the price and ease of install it's probably one of the best mods for the bike.

Like Gray' said the bike probaly should have come stock with the flywheel.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.