2005 WR450F....power??

12 replies to this topic
  • Paperclip441

Posted November 04, 2009 - 06:55 PM

Posted Image

My beautifull WR450F...
The only problem is that i feel my bike is not so powerful as it should be.
I have watched many motocross / motard videos with WR450's and it looks like the bike's is going on rearwheel in every gear, just turning the throttle

My bike doing easy powerwheelies (no clutching) in the two first gears, then i can gear away all the way to 4th/5th gear
But when i use 3rd gear i have to clutch and pull the handlebars hard to get it up.... mostly of the time in 3rd, i dont get it up.

I have done Airbox mod, grey whire, throttlestop mod and exhaust baffle mod.
The exhaust baffle mod, gave me alot of more power than original, but i feel its still not enough.
It seems like it runs fine when the engine are cold and hot.
It always starts on first atempt.

So my question must be... are my bike totally normal or is there something wrong with it?

• YZEtc

Posted November 05, 2009 - 03:33 AM

What size sprockets are you running? :smirk:

• Paperclip441

Posted November 05, 2009 - 04:38 AM

13-42 i think...

Is it posible that i need re-jetting even when my bike runs fine?

• YZEtc

Posted November 05, 2009 - 05:00 AM

Certainly possible. :smirk:

• CanadianWR450

Posted November 05, 2009 - 04:30 PM

are those bikes in the video's your watching pretty much stock like yours?
Or, do they have cam's, big bore kits, full race exhaust....you get the idea....

Also, suspension plays big part. I find hard/or firm suspension = wheelies, while soft suspension = not as easy to pull the front......

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 05, 2009 - 05:10 PM

same problem on my wr426f. i have yz426f suspension on mine so the suspension is firm. i cant get the wheel off the ground in third either. my old yz426f would do power wheelies in third though. im thinking about trying to yz time my cams and see if it helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Paperclip441

Posted November 06, 2009 - 03:26 AM

Is there big difference from exhaustbaffle mod, and a aftermarket exhaust?
And would the AIS mod gain alot of power?

• klossWR450

Posted November 06, 2009 - 06:28 AM

I take it you run 13-42 with 17" SM wheels, I have 14-42 on mine 07 SM and it lifts front in 1st and 2nd just by accelerating from low revs(no throttle snaping required just accelerates so hard it lifts the front), in 3rd gear would lift if I snap the throttle and pull the handlebars, in 4th or 5th I've never pulled a wheelie but wasn't tempted really and I'm no good at it, the bike has FMF powercore with quite end tip, powerbomb header, airbox opened and jeting done by a dealer, I never used the clutch for wheelies on the WR though as I'm trying to be gentle on the gearbox, I rode mates 07 YZ450 and it does in 4th what mine does in 2nd gear, not as fast in top than due to different gearbox and bike purpose, hope that helps

• wartsnuff

Posted November 06, 2009 - 08:36 AM

I have 08 WR450, and i can wheelie 4th gear no problems without using the clutch to do it..

not sure if this infomation helps

i am stock, cept for a JD jetting kits, and stock exhaust insert.

gears stock

cheers
Warts

• Paperclip441

Posted November 06, 2009 - 08:44 AM

I take it you run 13-42 with 17" SM wheels, I have 14-42 on mine 07 SM and it lifts front in 1st and 2nd just by accelerating from low revs(no throttle snaping required just accelerates so hard it lifts the front), in 3rd gear would lift if I snap the throttle and pull the handlebars, in 4th or 5th I've never pulled a wheelie but wasn't tempted really and I'm no good at it, the bike has FMF powercore with quite end tip, powerbomb header, airbox opened and jeting done by a dealer, I never used the clutch for wheelies on the WR though as I'm trying to be gentle on the gearbox, I rode mates 07 YZ450 and it does in 4th what mine does in 2nd gear, not as fast in top than due to different gearbox and bike purpose, hope that helps

Getting my new Exhaust on Sunday or Monday... so hopefully there will be some action then.
But still it sounds like you're bike is a lot more powerful...
In 2'nd i have to snap the throttle to lift the front.
and in 3'rd its almost impossible still with clutch.... i can do it if i sit way bak on the bike pull hard, and snap the clutch out and i have to do it on the right RPM to get the power.

Maybe i have to bring the bike to a dealer and make them re-jet it... after i mount the new exhaust.
I don't know whats inside the carbulator or what i need. cant cost that much

• Fast Forward

Posted November 06, 2009 - 08:59 AM

My previous bike was a 2005 WR450. It had a Yosh exhaust, YZ needle and correct jetting, air box mods, AIS elimination kit, and 14-50 gearing. It would pull 4th gear wheelies with very little effort. Gearing will play a big role in the ease of wheelies.

• klossWR450

Posted November 07, 2009 - 01:07 PM

t33zr, my bike might have some more power/torque because of the exhaust but if I remember it felt pretty strong with stock one too, yes you should rejet when a free flowing exhaust(I guess that's what you're getting?) is fitted, mine was done by the dealer because I was buying the exhaust from them, otherwise I would play and do it myself, agree with FastForward- gearing is the key, check out this guys rear sprocket

• cherrypicker7

Posted January 12, 2010 - 04:01 PM

I don't know what you gearing is over there but mine (stock) is 14/50 which is 3.57-1, the 12/42 is 3.23, that might be why it is difficult to get it up in 3rd. I bought this bike used, so it may also have some internal work done, but it didn't have any of the free mods, or the GYT end cap. If you haven't done the AP mod, or installed a JD Jetting Kit, that might also be a good place to start. Good Luck and try not to loop it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.