Timing chain advice please.

12 replies to this topic
  • mywifefarts

Posted November 03, 2009 - 08:36 PM

I'm going to change out my timing chain this winter. Just wondering what the comon opinion here is. should I go aftermarket or OEM Yamaha?

• 426 NOOB

Posted November 03, 2009 - 08:45 PM

i would say go oem and ive seen gray say the same every time

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2009 - 07:53 AM

Here is what I said:

http://www.thumperta...652#post8699652

• mywifefarts

Posted November 04, 2009 - 01:54 PM

I apologize.:smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2009 - 02:26 PM

I apologize.:smirk:

...for...?

• mywifefarts

Posted November 04, 2009 - 04:01 PM

...for...?

For the time you wasted posting a link to a thread I could have searched for.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Family Man

Posted November 04, 2009 - 04:02 PM

you can get the oem on thumpertalk for around 16 buck the pro x is around 70 on rockymountainmc.com

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2009 - 04:24 PM

you can get the oem on thumpertalk for around 16 buck the pro x is around 70 on rockymountainmc.com

And to elaborate on that a bit, let me say this:

To me, what you get for sure out of buying the Pro X is that you know absolutely who the vendor is. With an OEM chain, you don't, and it's pretty certain that you never will. Now, I very seriously doubt that the Pro X specification is any better than what Yamaha asked their vendor for, but there is a strong likelihood that Yamaha got less than they asked for from that vendor for at least some of the chains delivered them between late '06 and '08.

If you are a component vendor, and you want to continue to do business with ANY major Japanese manufacturer, supplying them a big batch of substandard stuff is not a long term strategy for success, and if that was what happened with the cam chains, I am very confident that Yamaha has probably already taken action on the matter.

Could Borg-Warner, Japan build a bad chain? Of course they could. Their reputation, however does not suggest that they will, though.

So, here it is. If your confidence in the OEM chain is at an uncomfortable level, and it's worth $50-70 to get it back, then the Pro X chain is what you should use. Otherwise, there shouldn't really be that big a difference.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 04, 2009 - 06:21 PM

where can you get a chain for 16bucks i ordered an oem one from the tt store and it was about 40 bucks.

• tribalbc

Posted November 04, 2009 - 06:47 PM

Paid $13.65 for mine

http://www.yamahaspo...d/2/Yamaha.aspx

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2009 - 07:24 PM

where can you get a chain for 16bucks i ordered an oem one from the tt store and it was about 40 bucks.

That's because you don't own a 450.

• Family Man

Posted November 04, 2009 - 09:19 PM

Yeah, I just ordered on tonight And it was 16 bucks.

• mywifefarts

Posted November 05, 2009 - 03:59 PM

And to elaborate on that a bit, let me say this:

To me, what you get for sure out of buying the Pro X is that you know absolutely who the vendor is. With an OEM chain, you don't, and it's pretty certain that you never will. Now, I very seriously doubt that the Pro X specification is any better than what Yamaha asked their vendor for, but there is a strong likelihood that Yamaha got less than they asked for from that vendor for at least some of the chains delivered them between late '06 and '08.

If you are a component vendor, and you want to continue to do business with ANY major Japanese manufacturer, supplying them a big batch of substandard stuff is not a long term strategy for success, and if that was what happened with the cam chains, I am very confident that Yamaha has probably already taken action on the matter.

Could Borg-Warner, Japan build a bad chain? Of course they could. Their reputation, however does not suggest that they will, though.

So, here it is. If your confidence in the OEM chain is at an uncomfortable level, and it's worth $50-70 to get it back, then the Pro X chain is what you should use. Otherwise, there shouldn't really be that big a difference.

Thanks! That answers any question I had on the subject.

I do love when you "elaborate". :smirk: You always shed light on a topic and at the same time usually answer questions I wasn't even aware that I had!:ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.