Fork springs on 08 wr 450

9 replies to this topic
  • calikev

Posted November 03, 2009 - 04:14 PM

HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE THE FORK SPRINGS ON 08 WR 450. DO I HAVE TO TAKE THE FORKS OFF DO I HAVE EMPTY ALL THE FLUID OR DO I JUST UNSCREW THE CAPS AND PULL THEM OUT OR WHAT. ALSO DO I NEED A SPECIAL TOOL FOR THE FORK CAPS AND DO I NEED A FORK OIL LEVEL MEASURER WHAT IS THE BEST BRAND OF SPRINGS ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRIECIATED:bonk:

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 03, 2009 - 05:45 PM

here's some vids 4 ya

I went to a .48 front 7.5wt. oil, 5.8 rear. The front is a Factory Connection, the rear is a Race Tech, it works ok for me and my riding area/skills/age and weight 215 without gear! -- some people re-valve -- some people put yz forks on -- the list goes on depending on the money you want to spend and your needs/riding type etc. Check out the suspension forum:ride:

• WR450FGreg

Posted November 03, 2009 - 07:04 PM

HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE THE FORK SPRINGS ON 08 WR 450. DO I HAVE TO TAKE THE FORKS OFF DO I HAVE EMPTY ALL THE FLUID OR DO I JUST UNSCREW THE CAPS AND PULL THEM OUT OR WHAT. ALSO DO I NEED A SPECIAL TOOL FOR THE FORK CAPS

Check your Owners manual, it explains it all.

In essence, I think no, you should be able to collapse the forks in the bike enough to extract the springs without pulling them apart or draining the oil. Do it slowly so you don't bring too much oil out with the spring.
(Also, just be careful the bike doesn't drop in a big hurry and damage something! think about it before you start.)

All you'll need is a socket for the fork cap itself ( i think 22mm from memory) and an open ended spanner (I think 19mm) to hold the nut on the damper rod. Plus of course a 12mm socket to loosen the upper triple clamp bolts to reduce the pressure on the top of the fork tube as you undo the cap.

The hard part might be checking the oil level after the springs are out. It's better if the forks are perfectly vertical when checking this.

Greg

• slygary

Posted November 04, 2009 - 01:41 AM

Just changed the fork and shock springs on my 09 wr450f today. Eibach springs 0.48 forks and 5.8 shock. I weigh 96>100 kg. Was so easy to do, some people make it sound realy hard and scare you with their explanations. Better to take your forks out of the triple clamps to be 100% safe. Look through your owners manual and once you have the fork cap off and see the inside you will see how easy it is.

• Demo_Slug

Posted November 04, 2009 - 09:09 AM

I changed the fork springs on my 08 without removing the forks from the clamps. Time permiting, I would have rather have done it the right way and changed the fluid.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • atitagain

Posted November 04, 2009 - 09:30 AM

If you still have the stock oil in them, change that ASAP! Getting rid of the stock "fish oil" made a big difference in my forks. :smirk:

• kingjewells

Posted November 04, 2009 - 09:49 AM

If you still have the stock oil in them, change that ASAP! Getting rid of the stock "fish oil" made a big difference in my forks. :smirk:

X2-You'll be happy you did.

• Wrfrk

Posted November 04, 2009 - 10:37 AM

Out of curiosity, can you see the valving/piston with the springs and fork oil removed?

• tribalbc

Posted November 04, 2009 - 11:40 AM

Out of curiosity, can you see the valving/piston with the springs and fork oil removed?

No you have to remove the bottom cartridge.

• WR450FGreg

Posted November 05, 2009 - 01:38 AM

Getting rid of the stock "fish oil" made a big difference in my forks

No, I think there is a better description of the substance Yamaha sees fit to put in their WR450F forks....
It's not exactly an oil, I'd describe it as a tacky chain lube for the forks!

It's all stringy, just like bloody chain lube! What the ??

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.