YZ400 Accelerator pump problem

5 replies to this topic
  • YZBrad

Posted November 02, 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hey guys hows it going? I have a 1998 YZ400 that has been sitting for a while. I decided to freshen everythign up, rebuild the carb, top end, new valves, valve job. Got the carb back on there and put fuel in it and have been pumping the throttle for a while and still am not getting any spray from the accelerator pump. Any ideas? Aside from a bad diaphram. How far is the plunger supposed to move when you open the throttle, it only seems to move a millimeter or two before it bottoms out.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:27 PM

Check for a plugged discharge port, stuck check valves, or a ruptured diaphragm.

There's more info about the 400 pump under the "Taffy Mod" in the Common Threads sticky.

• rmx250rider

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:30 PM

I am wondering the same thing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZBrad

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:49 PM

Check for a plugged discharge port, stuck check valves, or a ruptured diaphragm.

There's more info about the 400 pump under the "Taffy Mod" in the Common Threads sticky.

Thanks, Ill check out the Taffy Mod. The diaphram is fine, it was just replaced. My concern is the pushrod doesnt look like it is moving enough to pump the diaphram. Like I said above, it only moves about a millimeter or two. The linkage seems to be correct though.

But Ill head out there right now and check out the discharge port and check valves.

• Thinblueline

Posted November 10, 2009 - 06:02 PM

Did you get this figured out? I had the same problem and fixed it today for free. The spring is weak behind the black AP arm. I was able to in essence wind the spring up and have it tucked under the silver arm which comes down and moves the black arm. ill try to get you a pic. I guarantee this is your problem. I was getting a bog 1/4 throttle when I checked the AP squirt, it was non existent. This fixed it perfect!! better then wiring it up. Now I just have to do the taffy mod and im set, the bike feels like a new animal! GL

• YZFan

Posted November 14, 2009 - 03:51 AM

On the 98 and 99 the pump rod is exposed and gets dirty and rusted. Remove it clean it and reassemble. The 98 and 99 carbs are different then the later bikes. Good luck

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.