Athena vs. Cylinder Works

9 replies to this topic
  • Zakrad_u

Posted November 02, 2009 - 01:09 PM

Is there any differences in reliability with the 478 big bore kits? Any other major difference that sets one apart from the other, other than the $150 less price tag?

Thanks, Zak

• Jake92

Posted November 03, 2009 - 07:37 AM

Bump. I'm interested too.

• jonha

Posted November 03, 2009 - 04:21 PM

I believe the Athena kit has larger water jackets and thicker liner material. The works is just a stock type cylinder with a new coated bore.

• Zakrad_u

Posted November 04, 2009 - 05:46 AM

I believe the Athena kit has larger water jackets and thicker liner material. The works is just a stock type cylinder with a new coated bore.

So if i'm going to get a big bore, just go for the Athena?

• motocrsr82

Posted November 05, 2009 - 05:51 PM

I had an athena kit on my 03 honda crf450. It was flawless get the kit, get a jd jetting kit for your carb set it up like james tells ya it will be perfect and enjoy. I ported my head on the 03 made a huge difference. Unbeleivable torque monster.

Flyn Ryan

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbodin18

Posted March 29, 2011 - 05:43 PM

It looks like my 04 yz450f cylinder is toast, so I'm trying to decide what to do. I see that a stock cylinder is $250 plus roughly $200 for piston kit and gaskets. The Cylinder Works big bore kit is $550 at rocky mountain. I am 6'4" 220 so I could definitely benifit from more power. Which option maintains some reliability, is best bang for buck, and I can run with 91 gas? I ride mx and trails at 4000 ft and higher.
1) all stock
2) stock cylinder/higher compression piston (13 or 13.5)
3) big bore kit (are there any other mods required for this upgrade? is the cylinder works kit a solid product?)

• jbodin18

Posted March 29, 2011 - 06:11 PM

or maybe bore out my current cylinder with langcourt and get a big bore piston from athena? also just found an athena big bore kit for $600 at motosport.com. thanks guys.

• twomancrew

Posted March 30, 2011 - 06:24 PM

I have two YZ450 08's. One has the Cylinder Works 478 big bore. The other has the Athena 478 big bore. Have 40 plus hours on each. No performance difference. Both drink oil on hard days, both sip oil on intermediate rides. If I was going to keep a bike long term I would get the Athena.

• Gunner354

Posted March 30, 2011 - 06:53 PM

I have two YZ450 08's. One has the Cylinder Works 478 big bore. The other has the Athena 478 big bore. Have 40 plus hours on each. No performance difference. Both drink oil on hard days, both sip oil on intermediate rides. If I was going to keep a bike long term I would get the Athena.

Pretty sure the Athena has one compression ring. I would stay away from that. The reason for oil consumption and sooner ring replacements.
Not familiar with the Cylinder Works but if it uses the two compression rings like the oem I would choose that one.

• lanny574

Posted March 31, 2011 - 06:04 AM

not sure on reliability, but last weekend I rode an 07 with the Athena Kit on it, with a 14-53 sproket set up it was nasty, power everywhere, rode bike in 3 rd gear entire time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.