During valve clearance check....

19 replies to this topic
  • zimak

Posted November 02, 2009 - 11:00 AM

On the new to me 05 WR450 I noticed something a bit off.

You have the plug firing marks that look like I-I and then the timing mark.
When I hit the timing mark I noticed that the 2 dimples on the cams were not lined up with the cylinder head.
It took nearly another 30 degree turn of the crank to get those 2 dimples to line up with the cylinder head at which point the timing mark was long gone.

Should I reclock?

• tribalbc

Posted November 02, 2009 - 11:04 AM

How far off are they at TDC? Will moving the cam sprocket one tooth on the chain put the mark closer?

• zimak

Posted November 02, 2009 - 11:23 AM

When I line up the timing mark the lobes are where they are supposed to be and the valves are still dead on to spec (love the WR).
The dimples are about 1 tooth up on the left and 1 tooth down on the right.
When I line up the dimples though the timing mark is gone and the manual specifically says they should all 3 line up at the same time.

• tribalbc

Posted November 02, 2009 - 11:38 AM

How does it run?
Timing mark and dimples should line up, or be pretty damn close as manual states. Sounds like your timing is off if it looks like one tooth on both would line them up.
Can you post a pic?

• zimak

Posted November 02, 2009 - 11:56 AM

I'm at work now but I'll get a pick up tonight if I get home in time. I just bought it and only test road it around a neighborhood real fast to make sure it shifted well and no trans problems. For the price I figured I could fix everything else.
It wasnt babied or modified but it wasnt completely neglected either. Felt pretty week but the jetting was way off also.
Have no contact with the previous owner as he's moved the day I bought it (reason for selling) so I'll definitely get some pictures up before my first ride out.

• zimak

Posted November 02, 2009 - 11:58 AM

Will be doing a compression check also as soon as I get an adapter for my gauge.

• zimak

Posted November 02, 2009 - 10:43 PM

Really hard to capture on the camera. They are off, not by much but definitely dont both ailgn exactly with the top when at TDC.

Posted Image

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 03, 2009 - 12:50 AM

Looks pretty darn close to me, the cam sprockets look good. A stock wr450f is very mellow until you do the mod's and put a slip-on pipe on it!

• tribalbc

Posted November 03, 2009 - 06:40 AM

Try just moving the intake cam back one tooth and see if that lines up perfect on the cylinder head. If so then rotate your exhaust back one as well. There should be 14 pins on the chain between the 2 12:00 dots on the cams like there is now.

It looks close from the photo but if moving one tooth back puts you right on then there's your ticket.

• Wrfrk

Posted November 03, 2009 - 12:39 PM

I remember the first time I checked the valve clearance on my WR I noticed mine was off by about that much. It concerned me as well but the valves measured in spec and the bike runs good. On other bikes I've found that if the cams are off by even one tooth, in many cases the bike won't run very good if at all.
You can try and move the cams to line them up like it's stated in the book but I'd bet they won't line up any better than where you're at right now.
If you try please report back your findings, if you can line them up better I'd like to know about it and how it runs after. If the results are posative then I'm getting back into my bike and fixing it...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zimak

Posted November 03, 2009 - 12:44 PM

Looks pretty darn close to me, the cam sprockets look good. A stock wr450f is very mellow until you do the mod's and put a slip-on pipe on it!

I stole it for $2000 cash, bone stock minus throttle stop and pea shooter removed.
Been working on her day and night for 5 days now...wait til you see the results.
Should be pretty lively when all said and done. All I'm waiting on now is the damn AIS blockoff to get here and will be read to start and go test ride.
Will post with pics soon.

• zimak

Posted November 03, 2009 - 12:46 PM

I remember the first time I checked the valve clearance on my WR I noticed mine was off by about that much. It concerned me as well but the valves measured in spec and the bike runs good. On other bikes I've found that if the cams are off by even one tooth, in many cases the bike won't run very good if at all.
You can try and move the cams to line them up like it's stated in the book but I'd bet they won't line up any better than where you're at right now.
If you try please report back your findings, if you can line them up better I'd like to know about it and how it runs after. If the results are posative then I'm getting back into my bike and fixing it...

After all the mods and work I've done I'm going to take her out for a maiden ride to get the chain stretched and adjusted (new) and then back to the house. I'll then move the cam one tooth to align it and see if there is any difference. Will keep this thread going and photo/write it up as it goes.

• biggziff

Posted November 13, 2009 - 04:41 AM

I just bought an 05 WR450 as well. Paid $1800 and it has many mods. Other than some scratched plastic it's about like new. I've ridden it a bit now and am pretty happy with the performance.

• 2in2out

Posted November 13, 2009 - 07:02 AM

Where did you get that deal? I surf CL every day looking for a deal like that, and no one is budging at all.

• matt4x4

Posted November 13, 2009 - 07:04 AM

Those marks look pretty close to being correct - remember that a stretched cam chain is going to put the cams in a different place at TDC due to teh chain being a little longer - I'd change the cam chain out - it may still be original.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 13, 2009 - 08:38 AM

I stole it for $2000 cash, bone stock minus throttle stop and pea shooter removed.
Been working on her day and night for 5 days now...wait til you see the results.
Should be pretty lively when all said and done. All I'm waiting on now is the damn AIS blockoff to get here and will be read to start and go test ride.
Will post with pics soon.

I highly recommend a Dr.D s.steel slip-on for your 05, seen them on the net for $300 or so or a used 03-05 yz's exhaust. Set your AP timing , o-ring mod. etc.

• biggziff

Posted November 14, 2009 - 04:46 AM

I highly recommend a Dr.D s.steel slip-on for your 05, seen them on the net for $300 or so or a used 03-05 yz's exhaust. Set your AP timing , o-ring mod. etc.

What is the O ring mod? My 05 came with a FMF 4 slip on. Any real advantage to the exhaust you mentioned?

• ww44wrf450f

Posted November 14, 2009 - 06:28 PM

On my 06 -- the Dr.D slip-on with the mods, ais kit and sprung gives me a 4th gear gas only wheelie and a 5th with a very hard pull on the bars.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=624773

http://www.southbayr...ead.php?t=10730

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=349760

http://www.thumperta...isplay.php?f=64

• biggziff

Posted November 17, 2009 - 06:26 PM

Mine (05) will already wheelie in 4th so maybe it's been done already.

On my 06 -- the Dr.D slip-on with the mods, ais kit and sprung gives me a 4th gear gas only wheelie and a 5th with a very hard pull on the bars.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=624773

http://www.southbayr...ead.php?t=10730

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=349760

http://www.thumperta...isplay.php?f=64

• SAthump

Posted November 17, 2009 - 07:50 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]The marks look right, if you move the cams a tooth you'll notice how far off they appear vs. what you have now.[/COLOR]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.