Permatex copper gasket spray

23 replies to this topic
  • fridayman

Posted November 02, 2009 - 03:48 AM

Does anyone know of an on-line store that sells this stuff and can ship internationally (UK)?

• E.Marquez

Posted November 02, 2009 - 04:12 AM

http://www.crcind.co...ng=3&country=GB

This is for CRC, makers of the K&W brand copper coat.

• E.Marquez

Posted November 02, 2009 - 04:15 AM

Last time this came up a few months ago, I contacted Permatex, and was told they do not ship the aerosol copper coat to the UK.

Not positive on the K&W brand, I never asked

• fridayman

Posted November 02, 2009 - 04:58 AM

[COLOR=black]Last time this came up a few months ago, I contacted Permatex, and was told they do not ship the aerosol copper coat to the UK.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black] Not positive on the K&W brand, I never asked[/COLOR]

I had the same conversation with Permatex. I suspect that on-line stores probably won't want to ship any aerosol products. I was at the dhl office on Saturday and there was a guy sending stuff to his son in Iraq and they wouldn't take it because it had aerosol deodorants in it.

I put a call in to the CRC outlet near me and he is looking to see if he can get hold of the K&W aerosol for me. It sounds like it is a US product so I may have to buy a whole box of it.

Do you know if Loctite 3020 is the same, or would do the same job?

• E.Marquez

Posted November 02, 2009 - 06:03 AM

Well, I caveat all the following with. I have not tried using this product. But from the MSDS and Technical data sheet http://www.akd-tools.gr/xmsAssets/File/TDS/LOCTITE/loctite_3020.PDF
http://www.kopaz.com.tr/bayilikler/loctite/tds/3020-EN.pdf

I would say that if I could not get one of the other copper coat products, I would try the Loctite 3020.
It seems to be intended for use in an a like use.. So it’s worth a try. I think it is more of a adhesive then sealer though, so it may not work as well as the copper products.. No way to know without trying.

• Dr Honda

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:38 AM

Here is the EU MSDS:

http://www.brammer.c...octite 3020.pdf

Just a quick read over it... there is no mention of copper. In my last job, I had to write MSDS sheets for our products... and if it was going to the UK... I would have to add any "Heavy Metals" in the MSDS. (or any metal salts, or Azo metal complexes)

Just my opinion here... it is only a spray glue used to hold large paper based gaskets in place for industrial use, and not for a metal head gasket. It would be fine for holding the case cover gaskets on for assembly. BUT... I have not personally used the product, so I don't know for sure.

Last clue is the color is listed as "Clear/red." Coper coat is very copper colored after 2 or 3 coats.

Just my 2 cents... take it for what it's worth.

• fridayman

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:44 AM

Not to worry. I found a race shop over here that has some. I should have it tomorrow, so just waiting for the bb kit to arrive.

• E.Marquez

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:49 AM

Tony; True it is not a copper based sealant.. but according to the product sheet, it is specified as a sealant and used in applications such as head gaskets.
“TYPICAL APPLICATIONS
Loctite 3020 is recommended for use on all types of pre-cut
gaskets, transmission gaskets, head gaskets, clutch
assembly and differential gaskets, made of rubber, cork,
paper, metal and asbestos. It holds the gaskets in place
during assembly and improves gasket performance in
operation.”
I do agree, it is primarily a gasket holding product.. So, second best in my mind for the intended application.

Here is the EU MSDS:

http://www.brammer.c...octite 3020.pdf

Just a quick read over it... there is no mention of copper. In my last job, I had to write MSDS sheets for our products... and if it was going to the UK... I would have to add any "Heavy Metals" in the MSDS. (or any metal salts, or Azo metal complexes)

Just my opinion here... it is only a spray glue used to hold large paper based gaskets in place for industrial use, and not for a metal head gasket. It would be fine for holding the case cover gaskets on for assembly. BUT... I have not personally used the product, so I don't know for sure.

Last clue is the color is listed as "Clear/red." Coper coat is very copper colored after 2 or 3 coats.

Just my 2 cents... take it for what it's worth.

• Dr Honda

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:52 AM

Sure... but the copper helps fill the little iregularities, and transfer heat.

• E.Marquez

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:54 AM

Not to worry. I found a race shop over here that has some. I should have it tomorrow, so just waiting for the bb kit to arrive.

Which product did you find? and if you could, ask where they sourced it from?
I may do a Why/How to article that addresses treating head gaskets,,, as it seems to be an often confused deal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • E.Marquez

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:56 AM

Sure... but the copper helps fill the little iregularities, and transfer heat.

Which part??? I thought your observations were dead on.. That product is not really in the same class as the copper coat,, It is more a adhesive..:smirk:

• fridayman

Posted November 02, 2009 - 09:17 AM

[COLOR=black] Which product did you find? and if you could, ask where they sourced it from? [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] I may do a Why/How to article that addresses treating head gaskets,,, as it seems to be an often confused deal. [/COLOR]

I forgot the name, but it is an aerosol copper gasket sealant. I'll post up the name when it arrives tomorrow.

• tarka

Posted November 02, 2009 - 11:54 AM

Please do as mine is gonna be done any day and its 94.5mm. So im gonna need it too and cant find it either. Would be much appreciated :smirk:

• Julle74

Posted November 02, 2009 - 12:02 PM

I used the Loctite 3020 http://www.akd-tools...octite_3020.PDF on my 94mm bore. Nothing else could be found to use here in Sweden. Have ride 3000km whitout any issues now.

• E.Marquez

Posted November 02, 2009 - 09:40 PM

I used the Loctite 3020 http://www.akd-tools...octite_3020.PDF on my 94mm bore. Nothing else could be found to use here in Sweden. Have ride 3000km whitout any issues now.

Well thats good to know,,, what CR are your running? as head gasket treatment is not really needed for 94mm and below bores and or non high compression motors,, Can it hurt? no,, just not really needed.

• packman

Posted November 02, 2009 - 11:19 PM

Never used it, have had the head of mine twice in 34,000 miles just used the headgasket with everything dry no problems.

• E.Marquez

Posted November 03, 2009 - 02:44 AM

Never used it, have had the head of mine twice in 34,000 miles just used the headgasket with everything dry no problems.

Can you quantify your observations so readers know if they are relevant to the discussion :ride:

What size bore is your motor?
What is the CR?
If 94mm or less, 12.3:1 or less, then treating the head gasket does not apply :smirk:

• tarka

Posted November 03, 2009 - 04:17 AM

So if mine will be a 94.5mm with 12.5:1 (using single layer base gasket) I will have to user copper spray. If I use a 3 layer base gasket would the CR be 12.3:1? And if so, is this a more reliable route as far as head gasket sealing issues go? Also would i notice less performance with lower CR?

• E.Marquez

Posted November 03, 2009 - 05:01 AM

So if mine will be a 94.5mm with 12.5:1 (using single layer base gasket) I will have to user copper spray. If I use a 3 layer base gasket would the CR be 12.3:1? And if so, is this a more reliable route as far as head gasket sealing issues go? Also would i notice less performance with lower CR?

DRZ with standard CR piston, single layer base gasket, 12.2:1 CR
DRZ with standard CR piston, three layer base gasket 11.3:1 CR

If your running a bore greater then 94mm, a high compression pistion,, (as in 13.5:1) then use of head gasket treatment may be in order.

Edited by E.Marquez, November 03, 2009 - 05:24 AM.

• tarka

Posted November 03, 2009 - 05:24 AM

Hmmm, he advertises the wiseco piston as high compression. I contacted him and he says its 12.5:1. Eddie Says that CR is with a single layer gasket. Would there be less chance of gasket issues with a 3 layer? Im assuming the CR would end up at 11.5:1?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

$2000 for a decent DR-Z 400s...need a reality check!? by sbscale0309

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ 400 lower footpegs at last by vinco

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

what's the most comfortabe seat/seat mod for DRZ400 by the doog

• Hot  107 replies
Wiki
Lighten up your DR-Z400S - last post by motoinmoab

Lighten up your DR-Z400S

Wiki Articles
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.