Need some advice setting up an 07/08 wr450 for the baja 1000

12 replies to this topic
  • mikeythefokker

Posted November 01, 2009 - 07:06 PM

I know that almost everyone seems to run hondas in Baja, but 3 of my friends and I all have 07 and 08 wr450s. That would already save us a ton of dough in that we could cherry pick all of the best parts from each bike(steering stabilizers, exhaust, suspension, desert tanks etc), and we would have 4 or 5 sets of wheels ready to go. I see that lots of the baja bikes are set up pretty specifically, and was just wondering where my best place to spend a few bucks would be? I want to do yz cams and a yz piston in the motor, but I will be using oem yamaha parts to do it, and I have always been a little bit timid about heavily modified motors. A slow bike that keeps running is faster than a fast bike that breaks down. I'm concerned about how much power I will be able to get out of the stator with baja designs mod, and what lights I will be able to run with it. The other thing that I was curious about was cooling. Would an event like baja necessitate an oil cooler setup, or a radiator fan? I am only concerned with the oil cooler setup because it adds another 2 hoses to the mix that could be severed in a crash, and cause a dnf. Please share any baja bike setup tips.

• tribalbc

Posted November 02, 2009 - 06:22 AM

Aren't WR and YZ pistons one and the same :smirk:

An oil cooler would be a good idea in extra oil capacity alone in a race like Baja.

I don't think a rad fan is going to do a whole lot for you at Baja speeds (fast)

This all comes from someone who's never ridden in Baja :ride:

• wondermuscle

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:10 AM

I know that almost everyone seems to run hondas in Baja, but 3 of my friends and I all have 07 and 08 wr450s. That would already save us a ton of dough in that we could cherry pick all of the best parts from each bike(steering stabilizers, exhaust, suspension, desert tanks etc), and we would have 4 or 5 sets of wheels ready to go. I see that lots of the baja bikes are set up pretty specifically, and was just wondering where my best place to spend a few bucks would be? I want to do yz cams and a yz piston in the motor, but I will be using oem yamaha parts to do it, and I have always been a little bit timid about heavily modified motors. A slow bike that keeps running is faster than a fast bike that breaks down. I'm concerned about how much power I will be able to get out of the stator with baja designs mod, and what lights I will be able to run with it. The other thing that I was curious about was cooling. Would an event like baja necessitate an oil cooler setup, or a radiator fan? I am only concerned with the oil cooler setup because it adds another 2 hoses to the mix that could be severed in a crash, and cause a dnf. Please share any baja bike setup tips.

I raced a WR in 2008 and it was my favorite baja race bike to date. I'm jealous, and still sidelined, recovering from a shattered wrist.

Keep the bike reliable, you dont want a bike that will be the reason for a DNF. I have raced down there with a nearly stock WR and it has plenty of power, no need for any engine mods, just the free mods.

Put the IMS oversize tank with a dry break, unless you don't have dump cans.

No need for a fan, the bike won't overheat. No need for a rad fan nor do you need an oil cooler. Start the race with fresh oil and make sure to check it during the race.

Clean air filters are key, you will probably have to change one after the summit or maybe after the mike's loop depending on how much dust you have been in.

Run a steering stabilizer, I have used scotts for years and had no issues. You can't go wrong with a GPR either.

Get you suspension dialed for the majority of the team. It should work best for the guy doing the San Felipe loop, set the sag for his weight. Get the suspension revalved and get rid of the yamaha harsh mid valving.

Run a dunlop 739 in the rear and a Pirellie MT 18 (its called something different now). Bridestone medium tubes work well if you aren't going to run Bib's. If you run bibs, change the rear at valley T and you might need to change the front at Santo Tomas depending on how much you abuse it on rocks.

Good LUCK! Let me know if you have more questions. :smirk:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:16 AM

Having done Baja for the last 4 years on my WR's here is what I would do:

1) Have the suspension done

2) Stabilizer, pipe, free mods, skid plate, rad guards

3) Ergo's - make sure you spend the time/money to get everyone comfortable with the seat setup/bar/grips/hand guards

4) Heavy Duty tubes and desert tires (this is a MUST)

5) Extra set of wheels (front and rear) (make sure they have #4) (also make sure the rear wheel has the same size sprocket as the one on the bike)

6) Gearing - if it was me racing, I would run a 14 up front and a 50 in the rear

7) Do not worry about extra oil. The race is only 670ish miles. In 07 we went 1300 miles and never changed the oil...I have done numerous multi day rides and never change the oil...Just make sure to run a good quality oil.

8) You mentioned the YZ cams...while the power gains would be great, consider the E-start issue. Is that worth it? To me, the stock cams with a fully uncorked and piped bike is more than enough to hit 95+ mph. Oh and the YZ piston is the same as the WR

9) Stators (my favorite subject :smirk:)

• What are you running for lights, how many and what watts are they?
  • PM me and we can discuss this more if you want
10) Dont waste your time with a rad fan, the WR already has a catch can so your good to go

When its all said and done, you will end up with a bike like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by 123BigcoopDawg576, November 02, 2009 - 07:27 AM.
WonderMuslce also has some GREAT suggestions!

• thumperjp

Posted November 03, 2009 - 01:06 AM

I had tried 2007 Baja1000 with my WR450F.
http://kakaricyo.coc...om/photos/bike/
The bike was 106X in the album. 401X at 2009 Baja500.

1. IMS tank
2. Scott's Stabilizer
3. GYTR AIS removal kit
4. Gray wire mod
5. Rewind coil and make harness for dual HID system ( ask BajaDesign )
6. YZ header pipe and silencer
7. 2006 YZ450F forks and rear shock
8. Works-connection radiator guards
9. 14-47 secondary ratio
10. Valve clearance adjustment Intake: 0.18mm Exhaust: 0.28mm

My bike run great!

Have Fun:thumbsup:

• shutch4251

Posted December 14, 2009 - 02:56 PM

maybe dumb newbie or uneducated question but what are the free mods? I understand a majority of the other mods listed, but free mods got me! Are they removal of the rev limitor, jetting, etc?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted December 14, 2009 - 03:14 PM

maybe dumb newbie or uneducated question but what are the free mods? I understand a majority of the other mods listed, but free mods got me! Are they removal of the rev limitor, jetting, etc?

Here ya go http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440631

It's at the top of that post and that post is at the top of the WR forum

• Bandit9

Posted December 14, 2009 - 09:43 PM

When its all said and done, you will end up with a bike like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is a badazz looking WR.:moon:
What graphics are those??

• thumperjp

Posted December 15, 2009 - 05:12 AM

Throttle stop screw, jetting and plugs after removing AIS system are in the GYTR AIS removal kit. Read the manual and insert it.

You have to disconnect a gray wire in the clear color six pin connector inside the left number plate.

and remove the plastic like snorkel with 5 screws at the top of air box.

and change exhaust.

I recommend to change everything in the same time.

that's almost free mods. :moon: GYTR? it's not free...

• stev0

Posted December 20, 2009 - 12:11 PM

Good post!

• RSAthump

Posted January 12, 2010 - 04:03 AM

i agree excellent! We have the Kalahari Desert 1000 Race down here, Ive gone twice and raced my WR.. the stock suspension let me down when the pace picked up..
Its a 1000km race you do on your own about 600 miles...

• stev0

Posted January 12, 2010 - 04:30 AM

where can I get more info on the race?

• wondermuscle

Posted January 12, 2010 - 07:50 AM

where can I get more info on the race?

I think this is it....
http://www.toyotadesertrace.com/

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.