Your Fav Folding Levers

9 replies to this topic
  • BlackT5

Posted November 01, 2009 - 01:45 PM

I think I may want to replace my levers with folding units because I have bent two stock clutch levers. Here is my problem. Most folding levers do not have the same pivot ratios and do not work correctly. Most of my friends recommend ASV. I do not care for ASV because they feel sloppy after a few rides. I saw in the GYTR catalog that Yamaha has a folding clutch lever the has the correct pivot ratios but is much more expensive than most.

What should I do:

1: Keep purchasing stock levers
2: Buy the GYTR levers
3: Buy another aftermarket lever

Thanks Guys!

• FinchFan194

Posted November 01, 2009 - 03:58 PM

My buddy just got Zeta folding levers they look sharp and had a good feel. I think they were pretty cheap too.

• geshields

Posted November 01, 2009 - 05:51 PM

I have the ARC Axis Clutch perch and the ARC brake lever and they have paid for themselves many times already. :smirk:

• rickallen124

Posted November 01, 2009 - 06:33 PM

I have the GYRT ones and really like them. Good levers for the money.

• YamaLink

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:01 AM

I was the guy with the curly Q clutch lever and front brake lever that shoulda broke off but somehow I defied the laws of metallurgy. You know the kind, where you can get half of your pinky on the lever to apply the brake. Good times.

Eventually I wised up. I like the ARC.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2009 - 09:35 AM

I was the guy with the curly Q clutch lever and front brake lever that shoulda broke off but somehow I defied the laws of metallurgy. You know the kind, where you can get half of your pinky on the lever to apply the brake. Good times.

YZ OEM levers seem capable of being bent into any bizarre shape imaginable if it's done with a single impact. Trying to straighten them is another matter :smirk:

KTM has for years been drilling a small hole a quarter inch or so inboard of the ball on the end to cause them to break at that point rather than bend into a pinky ring or break the perch. It doesn't solve every problem, but it does help some.

Four or five years ago, I bought two sets of ASV refurbs from their store on eBay for less than half the new price. All 4 were the C5 series. One of the clutch levers was a blade-only conversion for the stock perch, while the other was a Pro Perch w/hot start. They have been on two bikes each since that time, and have survived numerous crashes without incident. Not one ride day has been ruined by a broken lever, and not a dime has been spent on levers since I installed them.

There may be better, but there are certainly worse.

• Jim813

Posted November 02, 2009 - 10:53 AM

I choose to run wrap-around handguards. This way the levers stay out of harms way when you fall, don't get covered in mud if you lay the bike over, and don't let branches push in the brake or clutch lever while riding outside of the motocross track. Of course, there are compromises that are made running wrap-around handguards, but there is to almost anything.:smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2009 - 11:07 AM

I choose to run wrap-around handguards. This way the levers stay out of harms way when you fall, don't get covered in mud if you lay the bike over, and don't let branches push in the brake or clutch lever while riding outside of the motocross track. Of course, there are compromises that are made running wrap-around handguards, but there is to almost anything.:smirk:

My son doesn't like hand guards, but I started running them myself some time ago to protect my fingers during a crash, either from the lever closing on them, or from getting smacked by the bar end. They also have the benefit of protecting the grips and throttle tube, as well as the levers, of course, from damage in a fall, and I find myself fearlessly using the handle bar ends to protect the rest of the bike during a low speed tip over.

• JJRace

Posted November 02, 2009 - 06:53 PM

Most sanctioning bodies do not allow handguards that attach at the bar ends for safety reasons.

I have always run the ASV levers. Never had a problem and they have far less slop than OEM units. In fact I still have my first set on my son's 80 now which are 7 years old

• Jim813

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:14 PM

My son doesn't like hand guards, but I started running them myself some time ago to protect my fingers during a crash, either from the lever closing on them, or from getting smacked by the bar end. They also have the benefit of protecting the grips and throttle tube, as well as the levers, of course, from damage in a fall, and I find myself fearlessly using the handle bar ends to protect the rest of the bike during a low speed tip over.

I find the same benefits :thumbsup:I find it great to be able to hold on to the bars in a low speed tip-over, such as a tight turn on a motocross track, to keep the bike from stalling. The grips becoming slippery with dirt is never a problem either.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.