03 450F valves

5 replies to this topic
  • OnTheEdge

Posted November 01, 2009 - 11:34 AM

I'm looking at doing my intake valves on my 450. I was looking at the thumpertalk store under the OEM stuff and have a couple questions.

1. What do I need to replace?
- Valves (for sure)
- springs?
- retainers?
- seals?
- seats?
- anything else?

2. is having to lap the valves typical or something that rarely needs to be done?

I guess I have one more question. When doing valves, is it best to do intake and exhaust at the same time, or only when needed? I still have good clearance on the exhaust side.

Thanks for the help!

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 01, 2009 - 03:24 PM

your not suposed to lap titiaium valves. i think the 450 would have titium valves. you can lap stainless steel valves. also i think you would have to have your seats cut for new valves right? if the seats have been cut too much you have to replace the seats.

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2009 - 04:33 PM

1. What do I need to replace?
- Valves (for sure)
- springs?
- retainers?
- seals?
- seats?
- anything else?

2. is having to lap the valves typical or something that rarely needs to be done?

I guess I have one more question. When doing valves, is it best to do intake and exhaust at the same time, or only when needed? I still have good clearance on the exhaust side.

Valves, springs, seals, and keepers (cotters). Have the guides inspected when you have the seats refinished. The seats MUST be reground or recut, but titanium valves MUST NEVER be lapped.

Read:
http://www.wiseco.co...alveInstall.pdf

If you're OK with taking the head off a second time to do the exhausts, you can do it on a when-needed basis, yes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OnTheEdge

Posted November 03, 2009 - 12:35 PM

Thanks... You mention having the seats refinished and after reading the wiseco pdf I get it. Do I take the head off and bring the valves to the shop to have them refinished?

Also, do I need to get new gaskets?

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 03, 2009 - 12:40 PM

you could send the head somewhere like engine dynamics or millinium technology and they could do it or your local dealer. i would put new gaskets on it if it was me. i think the valve cover gasket is reusable.

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2009 - 12:48 PM

Thanks... You mention having the seats refinished and after reading the wiseco pdf I get it. Do I take the head off and bring the valves to the shop to have them refinished?

Yes.

Also, do I need to get new gaskets?

Of course. The cam cover gasket is usually reusable.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.