04 WR450 lost 1/2 of it's power

6 replies to this topic
  • ertxc

Posted October 31, 2009 - 09:11 PM

Problem with my 04 WR450 (which has a 480 kit). Took the head off only to check the wear on the bore and piston (which was fine). On my 1st ride afterwards, went one mile rather slowly, and the bike lost about 60% of its power all of a sudden, sounds like its not hitting on all the power strokes. Been fooling with it in the shop, it will start up, but sounds like crap and won't idle below about 1/4 throttle. Took the valve cover and verified that the cams and chain are fine. The compression release works like it should. Plug is fine, tried another one. Spark is real strong.
Any ideas?

Edited by ertxc, November 02, 2009 - 06:22 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 31, 2009 - 11:36 PM

Cam chain timing is off by one tooth.

• bloodline

Posted November 01, 2009 - 04:34 PM

Cam chain timing is off by one tooth.

what he said :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ertxc

Posted November 02, 2009 - 06:22 AM

Interesting you said that. When I pulled the valve cover off I did notice that the intake cam was off by one tooth (was POSITIVE I did not put it together that way, how could it have slipped?) I retimed it, started it again, and it still runs like crap.

EDIT! (11/8) : Found the problem, the pilot jet fell out, was laying loose in the bowl. Sure didn't run good at all w/o a pilot.
Thanks for all the replys

Edited by ertxc, November 08, 2009 - 03:42 PM.
Found the problem,

• bloodline

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:38 PM

I was positive too...

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 03, 2009 - 07:41 AM

streched cam chain causing slip, bad chain tensioner, valves may need adjusted, carb probolems maybe??????????????????????

Edited by bakeyz426f, November 03, 2009 - 12:20 PM.

• jayh300

Posted November 03, 2009 - 12:16 PM

the cam sprocket can spin on the cam, usually due to the cam seizing in the head...
hope not, but have seen a few do that...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.