Man oh man, WR450 Rebuild or Hybrid Engine Swop?!

7 replies to this topic
  • stev0

Posted October 31, 2009 - 03:33 AM

My WR ran a big end...Doh... I suspect water swallowed somewhere or even dirt through the filter or even oil pump failure... but... now im sitting with a couple of idea's in my head.

I love my 450... but I would like a little less maintenance too. I dont use it for racing, so mainly outriding ect.

I thought about a 660/700Raptor motor they have awesome wheel buckling torque, but I also think it can be expensive. Other engine's could boil down to the TTR600/XT600E/XTZ660 Tenere

So what about making the bike less racey, maybe lowering the Compression, adding more oil and so on?

Otherwise, im going to redo everyhting, ceramic coat most of the internals and just expect another rebuild in 6000miles.

• William1

Posted October 31, 2009 - 06:55 AM

Before you consider any engine swap, consider the weight of the donor engine. To get an idea of the effect, compare the mass of a 250F to a 450F. If you are after reliability and want to keep the weight down, something like a DRZ might be more appropriate or a large bore DP bike. But if you refuse to give up on a 450 MX engine, then accept the lifespan.

• stev0

Posted October 31, 2009 - 07:05 AM

I dont think it will be that much heavier? 20-30lbs? Could turn a great enduro bike into an awesome xr/690/te killing trail bike with a 660 engine!

• Wrfrk

Posted October 31, 2009 - 08:52 AM

Just curious, what yr is your WR?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stev0

Posted October 31, 2009 - 09:45 AM

2006, just under 7k miles.

• stev0

Posted October 31, 2009 - 09:48 AM

Before you consider any engine swap, consider the weight of the donor engine. To get an idea of the effect, compare the mass of a 250F to a 450F. If you are after reliability and want to keep the weight down, something like a DRZ might be more appropriate or a large bore DP bike. But if you refuse to give up on a 450 MX engine, then accept the lifespan.

Recently all my mates with drz are having engine trouble... before that i would of bought a drz with a smile for just that. But even so, 10 000miles out of a drz or 10 000 out of wrf, id so keep with the yammie... Just a day night difference between the two... the drz is so boring to ride...

• FzerozeroT

Posted October 31, 2009 - 03:33 PM

Hi, do you also have an hour meter? I don't know what your average speed is but for me with 1350km and 55 hours you would have put ~400 hours on that motor - good effort!

• stev0

Posted November 01, 2009 - 12:09 AM

im guessing between 400-550hours on the motor.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.