17mm Triple-Clamps on 07' 450

34 replies to this topic
  • pat caudill

Posted October 30, 2009 - 04:45 PM

Okay, need some help with this decision. After having read the latest DirtRider magazine, I'm seriously thinking about going with the suggested 17mm clamps that RaceTech used on the 06' magazine test ride. Anyone out there gone this (or a similar) route? From what i'm gathering, the stockers are at 22mm. Am I correct or incorrect. Mostly am just riding single-track or cross-country, no MX, but would really like the bike to turn much better than it presently does. Input, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance...:smirk::worthy:Pat

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2009 - 07:27 PM

Stock clamps are 25mm.

• socalracing

Posted October 31, 2009 - 06:49 AM

I have the 17 MM clamps on my 08 YZ450 made by Ty Davis and it's the best thing I've done to my bike. I do a little motocross but mostly woods riding and it's amazing how much better it turns, but does not effect high speed handling. It was worth every penny.

• pat caudill

Posted October 31, 2009 - 09:07 AM

Thanks to both comments. First off, (SoCalRacing) who suggested to you about going the 17mm versus another angle? Am just somewhat scared to go too far with altering the geometry. Pat

• Ga426owner

Posted October 31, 2009 - 09:42 AM

some folks like 17mm some don't
I went with AppliedRacing 24mm clamps based on advice from DRD as well as a SDG Tall seat. This flattens the seating area allowing you to shift weight to the front easier with less effort. Both of these changes totally changed the way my bike turns, for the better

• socalracing

Posted October 31, 2009 - 01:46 PM

I had access to several different angle clamps and the 17MM was the best by far.

• nickeenoo

Posted October 31, 2009 - 06:00 PM

I would like more info on this topic as well. I will likely be getting a set of triples in the near future.

Socalracing,

What made the 17's "best by far"? Do you have more info on what you liked or didn't like about the different offsets?

Thanks,

Nate

• Two-Six

Posted October 31, 2009 - 06:09 PM

I have an 06 that is stock besides bars and the suspension is done. I fell the bike doesn't need clamps to get it to turn. If your YZ450F doesn't turn it's the rider not the bike.

When I was in C class I used to ride a YZ250F and I thought the bike handled like crap and it was the bike's fault that I couldn't hit a corner. I focused on my technique and the better my technique was the better it cornered, damn who would have thought! I finally got it into my head that it's all the rider and not the bike. 2 years later I am riding a stock YZ450 and race A class.

• nickeenoo

Posted October 31, 2009 - 10:02 PM

I have an 06 that is stock besides bars and the suspension is done. I fell the bike doesn't need clamps to get it to turn. If your YZ450F doesn't turn it's the rider not the bike.

When I was in C class I used to ride a YZ250F and I thought the bike handled like crap and it was the bike's fault that I couldn't hit a corner. I focused on my technique and the better my technique was the better it cornered, damn who would have thought! I finally got it into my head that it's all the rider and not the bike. 2 years later I am riding a stock YZ450 and race A class.

If the stock bike turns fine and it's all rider, why did Chad Reed run a 22.5 offset and James Stewart run a 20 offset? Not trying to start an argument here but the two fastest guys to ride a late model Yamaha didn't think the stock offset was perfect. Also Doug Dubach, who arguably has more time on Yamaha's than anyone else on the planet chooses a 24 mm offset. What gives? Do all these guys need to work on their technique?

Not saying technique isn't important because it certainly is, but sometimes it's not the rider it's the bike.

• lightestYZF

Posted November 01, 2009 - 05:44 AM

You really need to be careful trying to compare offsets on factory bikes to stock bikes. Real offset is the total of the triplecrown PLUS the axle offset on the forks. If you use larger diameter factory forks (that have more axle offset) to get back to stock geometry you have to use less offset on the triple crown. So you see those 22s or so on the factory bike and think changing makes you the same but maybe you need those factory forks too :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nickeenoo

Posted November 01, 2009 - 05:57 AM

Good point about the factory bikes (and I knew someone would bring that up). I was just making the point that it's not always rider technique in regards to getting a bike to turn. I also believe that rider preference has a lot to do with it. Sometimes you just don't like how the bike does something so you have three choices: 1) get rid of the bike, 2) deal with it, or 3) change the bike.

Nate

• Two-Six

Posted November 01, 2009 - 01:46 PM

If the stock bike turns fine and it's all rider, why did Chad Reed run a 22.5 offset and James Stewart run a 20 offset? Not trying to start an argument here but the two fastest guys to ride a late model Yamaha didn't think the stock offset was perfect. Also Doug Dubach, who arguably has more time on Yamaha's than anyone else on the planet chooses a 24 mm offset. What gives? Do all these guys need to work on their technique?

Not saying technique isn't important because it certainly is, but sometimes it's not the rider it's the bike.

Oh don't get me wrong, I never said the bike turned perfect. I think the only bike that turns perfectly is a CR125, but that has nothing to do with this topic.

I was just saying I don't think the bike needs clamps to make it turn good. If your 450 climbs out of ruts and understeers, get the sag set, get a good front tire, and if that dosen't work then the riders techniqe is at fault.

I never said that clamps will not make a improvment, I'm sure they do. I am just letting everyone know to make sure the rider's technique is good before they waste 400 on clamps.

• pat caudill

Posted November 01, 2009 - 02:27 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback. For me, this particular bike is anything but confident inspiring when running on tight slick (clay based) single-track trails, and I've already gone to the Bridgestone 403/404 combo with a 110 rear. Know doubt this bike rocks on nice banked MX track situations, but after having ridden for 2 years now, and having done every other suggested alteration, I'm most likely going with the triple-clamp mod unless someone out there can give me good reasons not to....Pat

• Two-Six

Posted November 01, 2009 - 02:41 PM

What is your tire pressure set at? what is your sag set at? how tall are you and what bars are you running?

• nickeenoo

Posted November 01, 2009 - 04:06 PM

Oh don't get me wrong, I never said the bike turned perfect. I think the only bike that turns perfectly is a CR125, but that has nothing to do with this topic.

I was just saying I don't think the bike needs clamps to make it turn good. If your 450 climbs out of ruts and understeers, get the sag set, get a good front tire, and if that dosen't work then the riders techniqe is at fault.

I never said that clamps will not make a improvment, I'm sure they do. I am just letting everyone know to make sure the rider's technique is good before they waste 400 on clamps.

Good point on fixing the other stuff first. I'll second that technique and bike setup makes a big difference. My problem is that I have ridden several of my buddies other makes of bike and I know what a well turning bike feels like. My YZ450 is so perfect in so many ways, I just wish it turned a little better.

Nate

• Two-Six

Posted November 01, 2009 - 04:44 PM

Good point on fixing the other stuff first. I'll second that technique and bike setup makes a big difference. My problem is that I have ridden several of my buddies other makes of bike and I know what a well turning bike feels like. My YZ450 is so perfect in so many ways, I just wish it turned a little better.

Nate

I agree, I just wish my bike wouldn't sign off so quick, thats my only problem with it. But I do know that no 450 has better suspension and realiability.

• Aka.Goose

Posted November 01, 2009 - 04:51 PM

Nate...My yz was a completely different beast for the better after going with 24mm Applieds, tall rubber mount clamps, Scott's Submount damper, raise the forks in the clamps 8mm, carmichael evo's rotated slightly forward, tall seat, levers pointing a bit further down to the ground (helps me keep my elbows up), and damn near stock clicker settings, MX31 rubber...
Lot's of changes, lots of money, but a COMPLETELY different handling bike...Freaking love this setup...
The only bike I liked better in turns was set up amost exactly the same as mine (Nick's 07 yz450f), accept it had the drd radiator lowering kit and lot's of expensive suspension work...

I personally wouldn't go so drastic to the 17mm, but I would do the 22mm...
Without spending any money, I think just raising the forks 10mm, and rotating your bars forward will even help a little,
then just get way up far forward and really push your weight into the outer foot peg hard...

• nickeenoo

Posted November 01, 2009 - 05:52 PM

Goose,

In hindsight do you wish you went with the 22's?

• Aka.Goose

Posted November 01, 2009 - 07:01 PM

Goose,

In hindsight do you wish you went with the 22's?

Hard to say man...I'd definitely want to give the 22's and/or the 17mm a try before making a choice that much different from stock...
But, in my case, I changed so much all at once that it was a HUGE HUGE difference, so it'd be really hard for me to tell exactly what it was that made it magic...I'm REALLY REALLY happy with the setup as it is now, and the few friends that have ridden it really like it as well...One friend is really bummed he spent lots of money on an 08 CR450F and likes the handling characteristics of my bike way better...I love the setup as it is now, only thing planned is a suspension upgrade, but I'm happy with stock (even like the stock settings best) so it's hard to dole out cash for that until it's really needed...

• sic

Posted November 01, 2009 - 08:50 PM

well, I bought the Rekluse E-axle for my '06 YZ450 several years ago. raced some serious motocross with it and found this out.

The least offset the E-axle allowed me to dial in (i think its 22.5) was fantastic as soon as I put it on !! I mean it just railed around my yard. I expected headshake at the track but it was just as stable as the stock 25mm. However, the bike now had a weird tendency to want to knife the front end after I landed jumps (front end just wanted to slap to one side and stay there). It was quite unnerving and it interfered with my lap times. I backed off the E-axle, bit by bit, and finally found what i thought was the perfect setting. That perfect setting turned out to be the stock 25mm. After a few months I just pulled that useless thing out and put the stock axle back in since it was just emulating stock now anyway.

my experience.

Sic...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.