What kind of battery charger

4 replies to this topic
  • Beta_Man

Posted April 22, 2003 - 01:54 PM

I just killed the battery on my wr 450 and was wonder what kind of battery charger i can charge it with. or what kind i should buy. also what setting should i charge it at.

• Jim_Patterson

Posted April 23, 2003 - 02:27 AM

Mine did the same, either killed by me or the dealer. I read up on these batteries and they are a unique battery. If you buy a new replacement battery they come dry or precharged. Precharged are the easiest to work with. If you get a dry type the electrolyte must be put into the battery very slowly (about 30 minutes) to keep air bubbles out. Then the battery should set for 30 minutes and then you permanently seal it. The kit gives you everything you need to do this. Both then need a charge before using. Car charges should not be used unless set at 2 amps or less and time not to exceed the times shown on the battery case. The best bet is to charge with a battery tender brand or another brand I belive is called the optimizer III.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FNG241_WR450F

Posted April 23, 2003 - 04:35 AM

I left my ignition switch on the first day I brought my bike home. Killed the charge. I bought the 'Battery Tender" brand charger from Bob's Cycle supply on line. Worked like a champ. No probles since. It has a maintenance feature on it, so you can leave it hooked up with no problems and it will only charge when the battery needs it.

• Lon13

Posted April 23, 2003 - 12:36 PM

Mine is on a Battery Tender right now. When I'm not on it, it's on the Tender.

• brentcarl84

Posted April 23, 2003 - 02:10 PM

I use a battery charger that has a 2 amp setting. It would be a good idea to get a charger that has a few different settings for a 12 and 6 volt battery. Use a charger that has a trickle charge capability.
Hope this is helpful.

Carl

WR450F-baffle removed

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.