yz426f will not start

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted July 29, 2000 - 11:09 AM

I finally bought my first 4 stroke. I have had it about 5 weeks, only about 3 tanks used. Last time i took it out, it started up no problem, when i pushed the choke back in it stopped, i could not start it back up again. I have the air screw 2 turns out, clip in 5 position, ride at sealevel in washington state. It always started on the first kick before, i bought the yzf so i wouldnt have to work on it alot, and reliability. Any help would be very helpfull.

• MikeOK

Posted July 29, 2000 - 06:14 PM

Yo Darre- don't fret, my '26F was hard to start the first 10 hours or so. A friend of mine also has one and he told me that EVERY time the throttle was blipped (engine dead) it would foul the plug the next time he started it. I haven't fouled a plug on mine (yet) but the manual does say this will happen. This is the first thing I would check. Yamaha will sell you some overpriced pug removal tool but I understand you can get to it with a ratchet and a union. Hope this helps, this is a great bike once you get used to it's quirks...

Mike
Oklahoma

• MotoGreg

Posted July 30, 2000 - 02:24 PM

I was at the track this morning and a guy asked me to help him start his one day old 426. He said it started fine cold but wouldn't restart warm. The only way I could get it to fire was with the throttle barely cracked because the idle was set so low. I turned up his idle screw and then it seemed to be fine.

BTW- His kickstarter went down and got stuck on the footpeg everytime I kicked it, that doesn't happen with my 400. Is that normal or maybe his kickstarter was bent or something?

------------------
MotoGreg - The voice of a new millennium
'99 WR400 - 'cause thumpers rule!
'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna trade it for a dope 916)
You can visit my photo album for $1 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK
Sportbike fans, join us at www.insanespeed.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaveJ

Posted July 30, 2000 - 09:40 PM

I received a spark tool with my 426. Never had to use it. Kick starter never sticks.

And my bike was also hard to start when it was new, and I have found that a faster idle setting allows the bike to start much easier than a slow (lower) one.

• Hick

Posted July 31, 2000 - 08:32 AM

Originally posted by darre:
I finally bought my first 4 stroke.

Your problem may not really be a problem. The YZF is a tempermental starter. Mine starts fine when cold or hot but if I stall it before it warms up it can be a handful.

If not completely warm I too have found that turning up idle (or barely cracking throttle at end of kick stroke) helps my bike fire up.

Also, in warm weather I forgo the choke altogether and blip the throttle just before kicking to squirt some gas into the cylinder.

So I think maybe after your bike breaks you in a bit more :) your starting woes will subside...

• MikeOK

Posted August 02, 2000 - 05:06 PM

This is a bit off the original topic, but my '26F idle was set way too low when I brought it home. The manual says 1700-1900 RPM, and after I did that mine rarely stalls except when I do something silly to make stall hehe...

Mike

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.