426 as a trail/everything bike? Gears too high?

8 replies to this topic
  • Jcvibby

Posted October 30, 2009 - 01:41 AM

I have been riding trails and riding anything else I can find. I have been stalling my bike 4 or 5 times every time I go out. It seems my first couple of gears are pretty high for my general/trail uses. Have you found this too and what can you do to lower the gears for easier trail riding? Thanks guys

• rufusz

Posted October 30, 2009 - 01:54 AM

I've put an 13 tooth in front, stock back, and it's much better. I have to use the clutch also a lot less.

• gottaroost

Posted October 30, 2009 - 03:54 AM

Like mentioned above, the sprocket change for low grunt, nice low dollar.

I did the cheape$t adjustment of all and simply raised up the idle so it would not stall in tighter stuff. It never once overheated doing that "mod". I guess if overheating comes along you can try Engine Ice or something similar in rad.

Also there are lots of discussions on having a flywheel weight or Rekluse clutch.

• steam

Posted October 30, 2009 - 06:47 AM

I run a '00 426 in the woods up here in BC. I use 13/51 gearing which allows you to poke along in 1st and 2nd gear on the tight stuff. Just don't expect to pull your buddies with 6 speeds on the fire roads. The 426 motor will actually pull down a lot lower than you think without stalling if you have the correct jetting. I flywheel weight never hurts as well.

good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nathanpa01

Posted October 30, 2009 - 09:56 AM

13T front and practice throttle control. Its all in the wrist.

• DrThumper

Posted October 30, 2009 - 11:37 AM

When I first started racing my 426 in the woods I went to a 52 rear. Since then I have done some carb work (leaning it out, PowerNow, accel pump cover) and slowly went back down to a 50. Currently living in the Rocky Mountains, many steep rocky hillclimbs, I'm fine with it, although a couple buddies with 426s and 450s with a little less experience are still using 51-53's.

All stock front sprockets.

• DrThumper

Posted October 30, 2009 - 11:38 AM

I run a '00 426 in the woods up here in BC. I use 13/51 gearing which allows you to poke along in 1st and 2nd gear on the tight stuff. Just don't expect to pull your buddies with 6 speeds on the fire roads. The 426 motor will actually pull down a lot lower than you think without stalling if you have the correct jetting. I flywheel weight never hurts as well.

good luck.

Yep, like he said!:smirk:

• Jcvibby

Posted October 30, 2009 - 12:24 PM

So I am off to the local motorsports shop to look at new rear sprokets.

• cowboyona426

Posted November 03, 2009 - 11:58 AM

I ran 13/52 on my old 00 426 and it was a monster in the woods in the PNW. I think you'll like that setup or something close to it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.