Crown King

10 replies to this topic
  • Govnor

Posted October 29, 2009 - 09:19 PM

Looking to do the Lake Pleasant to Crown King route soon. Anyone know if there is snow up there...northen AZ just got some. Has anyone done this route in a while? How's the trail?

Thanks!

• redrooster65

Posted October 30, 2009 - 05:36 AM

I haven't done the route, but I can tell you it will be dry.

• CCCoyote

Posted October 30, 2009 - 05:58 AM

It's pretty easy right now, someone's been up there playing with a dozer and grader.

• G-Man

Posted October 30, 2009 - 06:11 AM

Old Post on GoMX

With the recent cold snap in the Valley of the Sun I was invited along to go for a ride up to Crown King with a “Secret Riding Club”.
On the way up we encountered this funny white stuff that Zonies don’t see much of.
Posted Image
Some of the boys topped off their tanks, I got some batteries as my camera was dead.
Posted Image
I wanted to have lunch at the local Brothel errrrr I mean Saloon, but alas I was outnumbered.
Posted Image
Posted Image
We ended up at “The Mill” which is a 100 years old. Good food indeed.
Posted Image
This contraption believe it or not was used to crush rocks to look for ore.
Posted Image
They don’t make them like they use to holds true with this Mill. Does this look like it was made in China? :smirk: lol
Posted Image
With our bellies full, we prepared for the descent. :ride:
Posted Image
The leaders decided to take a different way out. Only problem was there was a trail covered in snow that went up a fairly steep hill. At one point it reminded me of that BlackWater race with bikes and bodies scrambling around clawing for traction with the wheels spinning endlessly.
This is the top as another rider makes it over…..
Posted Image
The crew waiting for the “Snow Fleas”….
On my first snow –covered hill early on in the ride I encounterd an incline that was nothing more than a fire road. I discovered a bald rear knobby (My B to V tire) was not a good choice and literally had to get off the bike and push while spinning the wheel in 4th gear…..
Posted Image
This is how most of the trail was, slippery with jagged rocks to puncture your tube. :lol:
Posted Image
It was definite jacket weather especially in the shade where there was ice that really got your attention.
Posted Image
That's all folks.....

• cb60130

Posted October 30, 2009 - 08:42 AM

I too have been there with a little of that funny white stuff on the ground... Makes it interesting for sure... as long as you can duck waddle along and keep moving the snow won't get the best of you....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• 451sonex

Posted October 31, 2009 - 04:13 PM

Great photos and thanks for sharing!

I noticed most of the bikes don't look street legal, Do the LEO's look the other way up at Crown King? I have a legal DS, but would like to take my 15 year old son up there (from Lake Pleasant) but am worried about him getting a ticket.

• CCCoyote

Posted November 02, 2009 - 12:49 PM

I noticed most of the bikes don't look street legal, Do the LEO's look the other way up at Crown King? I have a legal DS, but would like to take my 15 year old son up there (from Lake Pleasant) but am worried about him getting a ticket.

On the trail itself you won't have an issue, but from LP to CK rock you could encounter an LEO.

Here some pics from our snow ride last February:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We got the Honda with the swiss cheese case home on 2 stroke oil!!!

• JumpinJack

Posted November 02, 2009 - 08:10 PM

CK is posted as street legal only, starting about a mile outside of town when coming in from the Senator Hwy. Not sure how aggressive they are about it, but the USFS LEOs and YCSO Deputies are there pretty regularly. I'd also be curious if anyone has had any experience there recently.

• G-Man

Posted November 02, 2009 - 08:43 PM

Wow Frank that's quite a picture story, what's the story on the wheel repair?

Some of those guys look familiar.... lol :smirk:

Thx

• CCCoyote

Posted November 03, 2009 - 09:24 AM

Wow Frank that's quite a picture story, what's the story on the wheel repair?

Thx

Just a flat on the very same bike that would later shove a rock through the case. Not quite sure why those darn MX kids are so against skid plates.

Some of those guys look familiar.... lol :smirk:

Yes, I really need to upgrade on the company I keep:smirk:

• CCCoyote

Posted November 03, 2009 - 09:28 AM

CK is posted as street legal only, starting about a mile outside of town when coming in from the Senator Hwy. Not sure how aggressive they are about it, but the USFS LEOs and YCSO Deputies are there pretty regularly. I'd also be curious if anyone has had any experience there recently.

I've had a place up there since '94 and been goin up there since '68. On busy weekends there is usually a YCSO deputy up there, bit it's been my experience they don't hassle you unless you are acting like a jacka$$. I've seen a lot of qwad guys get citations and I witnessed one guy on a bike get a ticket (doing wheelies down main street). Just keep in mind if you catch the LEO on a bad day there is a whole slew of tickets he can write if so inclined.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
California-Southern

Good shop to rebuild a crank in/near the Antelope Valley by Birdy426

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • 16 replies
Where 2 Ride

Cal City MX Park

Garnett Avenue, California City, CA, USA

Forums
Photo
California-Southern

Cost Register a Beta 450 enduro as dual registration by Surfmicah

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • 13 replies
Where 2 Ride

Clay Pit SVRA

4861-4871 Larkin Road, Oroville, CA 95965, USA

Where 2 Ride

Crossroads OHV Area

Parker Dam Road, Earp, CA 92242, USA

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.