advice on 09 yz450 exhaust

14 replies to this topic
  • TH moto

Posted October 29, 2009 - 08:15 PM

Just purchased new yz450f a week ago (its true on the deals, 5499 otd) and have been considering a full exhaust system from mrd or dr d, but checking to see if anyone has had good luck with any muffler system that retains the stock header.

Looking for something that has spark arrestor capability as I ride tracks a lot but also get out into the mojave desert as well as ocotillo and other areas that may sometimes require a spark arrestor.

any info would be appreciated.

TH

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2009 - 08:42 PM

The DRD is an excellent system, and can be bought with a USFS spark arrestor. It will seriously wake up an '09.

On the budget end of the scale are the spark arrestor end cap kits from DRD and Pro Moto Billet (PMB). The interesting thing is that the most restrictive of the two internal cones on the '08-9 muffler is affixed to the stock end cap, so you get rid of it in the process, and this, according to at least one gentleman who has removed the cone, improves performance a great deal in the bargain. If you're looking for a cheap solution, that might be a good one.

Retaining the stock header will save money, and almost anything you replace the unmodified stock muffler with will improve performance, but the stock header is too large in diameter to be optimal with freer flowing pipes. You'll still get a very significant gain, though.

• micahmorgan

Posted October 30, 2009 - 05:09 AM

I am in the exact same position. My final price for my 09 YZ 450F was $4950 plus $300 for shipping. Since I got it out of state and I'm in Nevada, I don't have to register or pay taxes. The law is changing to make us register our bikes, but not yet.

I've been looking at exhaust options for a week. With the different companies, types, materials, and price, there are a lot of options. My two big questions are 1) Should I get a new header and if so, should I go stainless? and 2) How do I get this fixed the cheapest?

Gray, I read in another post somewhere, you said something about the header being too big for the engine displacement (or something like that). Since the header is pretty big, a restrictive muffler might not be so bad. Several people I know agree and recommend that I (now we, me and TH Moto), buy a whole complete set. Well, it's not their money. I'm leaning towards just switching out the end cap.

I'll keep checking this thread for advice.

• opie

Posted October 30, 2009 - 05:22 AM

I'm with Gray. I put a Dr. D on my bike and it definitely woke it up. I was able to find a used titanium system online that was like new for $400. :smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2009 - 06:17 AM

My two big questions are 1) Should I get a new header and if so, should I go stainless? and 2) How do I get this fixed the cheapest?

Gray, I read in another post somewhere, you said something about the header being too big for the engine displacement (or something like that). Since the header is pretty big, a restrictive muffler might not be so bad.

The '08 header is as big as it is in order to compensate some for the restrictive muffler. It isn't quite as simple as just increasing the internal volume of the pipe in front of the muffler, though. But even assuming you went to a very open flowing muffler, the difference between yours and a smaller diameter header would not be so great as to warrant paying $2-300 to replace just that.

As to the question of Ti vs. stainless, you have to ask, "what do I get from titanium?" Well, Ti is a little lighter, is very durable from a heat and vibration standpoint, and looks really cool turning different colors all the time, and it is lighter by 20-30%, but is any of that worth paying 40-100% more for it vs. stainless if your budget is tight?

The flip side is that stainless is tougher as far as dents and such because it's generally made heavier than Ti.

With the info from users regarding the '08-9 muffler with the rear cone removed, I'd be tempted to give the end cap approach a try myself. Another way you could go is to buy a used or on sale complete pipe online, and sell your complete shorty setup to offset the cost. A lot of people seem very taken with the "shorty" look, and it would probably sell fairly well.

Not sure what you mean by "get this fixed" in your second question.

• micahmorgan

Posted October 30, 2009 - 08:40 AM

-
Thanks for the info. That's great advice.

Not sure what you mean by "get this fixed" in your second question.

True ... that's a little confusing. I mean how can I get a better pipe with a spark arrestor and not have to pay big bucks.

Thanks again.

• salasmauricio

Posted November 26, 2009 - 05:18 AM

The DRD is an excellent system, and can be bought with a USFS spark arrestor. It will seriously wake up an '09.

On the budget end of the scale are the spark arrestor end cap kits from DRD and Pro Moto Billet (PMB). The interesting thing is that the most restrictive of the two internal cones on the '08-9 muffler is affixed to the stock end cap, so you get rid of it in the process, and this, according to at least one gentleman who has removed the cone, improves performance a great deal in the bargain. If you're looking for a cheap solution, that might be a good one.

Retaining the stock header will save money, and almost anything you replace the unmodified stock muffler with will improve performance, but the stock header is too large in diameter to be optimal with freer flowing pipes. You'll still get a very significant gain, though.

My bike is working great with the stock header and both of the inner cones removed.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=851003

MS

Edited by salasmauricio, November 26, 2009 - 08:37 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nwbikerider

Posted November 26, 2009 - 08:18 AM

FMF 4.1 retains the stock header and has a S/A insert. I've been pretty happy with mine, but it's not the quietest.

• mxracer206

Posted November 26, 2009 - 01:36 PM

Can't beat the DRD stainless head pipe and aluminum can for performance and durability. I know Pro-Circuit also has a slip on for the stock header but in my opinion the DRD is better than that or the FMF performance wise. If that end cap and cone mod works well then I bet there are plenty of shorty systems available.

• saccityfire

Posted November 26, 2009 - 10:01 PM

I ran the stock exhaust with the pro moto billet spark arrester end cap on and stock stainless perforated end cone and solid end cone removed on my 09 YZ450 and never rode it stock. It was weak in the low to low mid and pulled very linearly from the mid to upper end. I was having to clutch constantly to keep in the power and decided to get the MRD 96db procomp stainless system with spark arrester.

All I can say is WOW! This pipe makes this bike rip from way down low to to moon. No more clutch slipping and a lot more grinning. Serious, serious difference in power and delivery.

I noticed when changing the stock header for the MRD that the inlet to the MRD is perhaps 2/3 the inside diameter of the stocker. Perhaps using an appropriately sized stainless steel washer between the header and exhaust port would increase the back pressure in the stock header and would help when using a slip on.

The stock pipe is 8 lbs 7 oz and the MRD is 10 lbs.

Would I give up the MRD and go back to stock? Never! I highly recommend the MRD whole system and think it is worth every penny of the $479 I paid including shipping to my door.

Oh yeah, I didn't re-jet at all and it runs great. It does start a touch harder when cold (seems lean) but fires on 1 kick when hot.

Good luck on your choice.

• FinchFan194

Posted November 26, 2009 - 10:11 PM

Go to Ebay and select stores and search LeoVince. They have an outlet store with full systems Ti/CF for 300-350! Neverminde here is a link-http://stores.ebay.com/lvexhausts_Dirt_W0QQ_fsubZ626386016QQ_sidZ823669316QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 01, 2009 - 10:44 AM

I agree. Probably one of the best mods you can do. I just ordered my ti / ti dr d yesterday. you can't go wrong.

• hadameo

Posted December 01, 2009 - 07:31 PM

I run a fmf with a power bomb and it woke this bike up,put the torque right where i ride(middle to top)and yes it has a spark arrestor:thumbsup:

• saccityfire

Posted December 01, 2009 - 10:27 PM

The DrD ti/ti is $710 on Ebay and the MRD stainless was $479 to my door. I'm adding $180 to my savings from not getting the DrD and spending it on the Smartperformance Del Taco kit for my 09 YZ450 forks and shock. I talked to Dave today and he said $420 total.

The MRD kicks A$$.

That's $900 well spent!

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2009 - 11:58 PM

The DrD ti/ti is $710 on Ebay and the MRD stainless was $479 to my door.

Apples to apples, the DRD stainless full system is $495 from the TT Store. I note that DRD's prices went up on their site, so you might call the store to check whether that price still holds.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.