04 CR125 vs 97 YZ125

30 replies to this topic
  • RCPH

Posted October 29, 2009 - 06:30 PM

Opinions ?

If both are mint, both under $1300.00

The CR I hear has a peaky (maybe weak) engine but great handling. I should add, that the 04 engine was a one year deal only, with the powervalves the way they were.

The YZ won bike of the year, and was best in class in almost all catagories, but is older year wise. Not condition.

• dmm698

Posted October 30, 2009 - 12:39 PM

get the cr, assuming its been maintained well. The 97 yz will seem a lot more outdated. I've heard that the cr 125s arent very powerful compared to others, but the bike has teh aluminum frame, and is only like 5 or 6 years old now. The yz will probably need alot more replaced judging by the age of it. Also the suspension should be far superior on the 125.

• moto_x2005

Posted October 30, 2009 - 12:41 PM

get the cr.. they handle good, top end motor but with mods and gearing changes can be made fast..

• JayN

Posted October 30, 2009 - 08:18 PM

i had a 97 yz125 till last year, had it for a few eyars and it was fast for a 125. mine had a PC pipe and thats it. if oyur not concerened with the "look" of the steel frame, theni would grab the yz. much better bike. maybe just do a top end rebuild and check all the bearings.
killer bike.

• shrubitup

Posted October 31, 2009 - 09:28 PM

Cr125R if you can make the motor work. It'll take money and effort so realize that. $1,300 is WAY too much for a '97 YZ125.

• RCPH

Posted November 01, 2009 - 08:01 AM

Cr125R if you can make the motor work. It'll take money and effort so realize that. $1,300 is WAY too much for a '97 YZ125.

What would be done to make the motor work ? Big bore ? Port/polish ect ?

For whatever its worth, the YZ is like a time capsule to 97. Its showroom perfect and needs absolutly zero, and could sit on the dealer floor as near new.

Big thanks for the comments thus far !

• shrubitup

Posted November 01, 2009 - 09:29 AM

You could prolly get more parts for the CR since it is more modern but they did their final change to it in 2005. You'll need a JD jet kit and a +2 on the rear sprocket for the CR. Some people report that the crankcase volume was too great and you'll need to stuff it to remedy this. Eric Gorr will no doubt have some solutions. Ride the bike first with the above simple mods to see where it is lacking for you.

The YZ may be mint but it is still 13 years old. Once you shag it it'll be just like all the other 13 year old YZs out there - worth well under $1000.

• moto_123

Posted November 01, 2009 - 10:27 AM

It also depends on your skill level. I've ridden both, and the YZ is much more forgiving. The power is smoother so it's much easier to ride.

• shrubitup

Posted November 01, 2009 - 10:46 AM

From a Dirt Rider review of the '05 YZ and CR (which are not even the same bikes compared to what you are considering but look at what they say about the CRs handling).

Handling
Over the last few years, just about the only compliment the CR received addressed its incredible handling. The CR has always been at the top of the podium in this department, and the '05 is no different. Its front tire stays planted, and once you pick the line you want, the CR stays put. The YZ does the same, but the blue machine feels lighter, so making changes to your line is easier as it feels more flickable. Both bikes are settled in corners, though the CR sits a little higher than the YZ, and the red bike definitely doesn't push or get vague whereas the YZ sometimes can. The CR offers more feedback. Both bikes have very comfortable ergonomics; but the CR is much roomier, and the ergonomics on the Honda were clearly preferred by our taller test riders.

More reading: :smirk:

FIFTH PLACE
2004 HONDA CR125
In a class where power is everything, the CR125 remains slightly off the pace. Don’t be fooled, however; the Honda is a damn fine machine, it just lacks the same motor excitement that some of the other bikes in the class possess. Still among the best-handling bikes available, however, the CR125 has a ton of potential. The quality of the bike is still second to none, and they’re among the easiest bikes to work on and maintain.
Honda made some noticeable improvements to the power plant over last year’s bike, but our testers agree that it still comes up a little bit short. The immediate hit off the bottom is pretty good, but it doesn’t take long before the red rider signs off. The powerband is smooth and doesn’t do anything unpredictable; it’s just slightly down on power all the way around. Have no fear, however, as there’s no doubt that improvements can be made to spice up the lives of those who choose the CR125 because of its impeccable handling prowess. If you’re among those that value handling above all else, look no further.
That’s right, the CR125 proudly profiles what is possibly the best-handling chassis, and best-suspended bike in the class. So smooth and so predictable is the Honda that every test rider raved about the confidence boost they experienced while on the machine. The Showa suspension package is well-balanced and soaks up just about anything in its sight. Tracking is as predictable as you can get, and cornering on the CR is a blast. The bike’s stability allows riders to enter corners with a ton of speed and aggression. “This thing corners like it’s on rails,” said every test rider that’s thrown a leg over it. Whether high-speed sweepers or wet, rutted corners, the CR turns like a champ!
All in all, the Honda CR125 is a very good bike; it’s simply slower than the others in production form. Most 125cc pilots are concerned with the overall power output of theisteeds above all else, so when stacked up against the others, the Honda’s power kept it from climbing any higher in our shootout

• RCPH

Posted November 01, 2009 - 11:24 AM

Thanks ! Believe it or not I read those as well. My concern is how reviews get done somtimes. Ive seen many circumstances where a bike might be down 1hp to another so they will call it slow in comparison.

I have loved all my past Hondas. The last I owened were a 92 and 93 CR125 and there engines were fantastic. If the 04 Engine had close to that amount of power, that would be more than enough. Coming from a 450, Im sure all the 125s will feel kinda weak. Is the 04 engine though like 5 hp down from the others or something ?

• shrubitup

Posted November 01, 2009 - 11:42 AM

Thanks ! Believe it or not I read those as well. My concern is how reviews get done somtimes. Ive seen many circumstances where a bike might be down 1hp to another so they will call it slow in comparison.

I have loved all my past Hondas. The last I owened were a 92 and 93 CR125 and there engines were fantastic. If the 04 Engine had close to that amount of power, that would be more than enough. Coming from a 450, Im sure all the 125s will feel kinda weak. Is the 04 engine though like 5 hp down from the others or something ?

Nah, can't be and is hasta be faster than your 94 model too. Jetting jetting jetting is paramount important on this bike.

• JayN

Posted November 01, 2009 - 03:30 PM

Nah, can't be and is hasta be faster than your 94 model too. Jetting jetting jetting is paramount important on this bike.

i don't know man, the early 90's hondas were some of the fastest hnoda made. they got slower with years.

• mxdude629

Posted November 03, 2009 - 04:45 PM

i love yamahas and I had a 97 yz.......Id get the honda.

• fivepointnine

Posted November 04, 2009 - 09:21 AM

from 96-2001 the YZ125 was esentially unchanged, and alot of the parts will work up until 05, my 99 had 2003 YZ250f forks on it for example. Yamaha gets my vote! much more usable powerband

• KaptainKoolz

Posted November 04, 2009 - 12:20 PM

yz's are great bikes but the price just isnt there..and cr's have a :smirk: motor comapred to newer yz's...i would keep looking around unless you really like the cr...they do handle pretty well:goofy:

• YFZ450_725

Posted November 05, 2009 - 05:58 AM

How many of you have ridden a 04 CR, and arnt just relaying magazine info?

My friend had one, and hauled ass. Sure, compared to my RM, the CR was rather peaky, but with any skill at all, you can keep it on the pipe and ripping. One thing I did notice upon riding it though, if you made a mistake, momentum was GONE. Down shift and a lot of clutch to get going again. For racing, it would be a little tough if you screw up, to keep up with the pack, but if you can run it smooth, like my friend did, that bike can fly.

• shrubitup

Posted November 05, 2009 - 09:26 AM

My friend had one, and hauled ass. Sure, compared to my RM, the CR was rather peaky, but with any skill at all, you can keep it on the pipe and ripping. One thing I did notice upon riding it though, if you made a mistake, momentum was GONE. Down shift and a lot of clutch to get going again. For racing, it would be a little tough if you screw up, to keep up with the pack, but if you can run it smooth, like my friend did, that bike can fly.

Hey, I'm a YZ guy and I told him to get the CR. If the bike is mint - it's a palette waiting for his paint - or something. :smirk:

• mxdude629

Posted November 05, 2009 - 10:29 PM

thats what I was thinking I know this chick that could run mid pack novice on a 03 cr. Its all rider skill and you know what they say. its easier to make a bike faster then to make a bike handle better.

• RCPH

Posted November 06, 2009 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for all the help everone. For whatever its worth I have chosen and bought the 04 CR125.

This may be in on going project as I have also bought a 1992 CR125 Engine (IMHO the most powerful 125 engine Honda has ever made) to put in the 04 chassis.

But before I do, It will be shipped to Eric Gorr@Forward motion for a 144 over borr kit and a port and polish full rebuild ! This should be one excellent handling, powerful late model CR. I cant wait to see/ride the final result !!

• shrubitup

Posted November 06, 2009 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for all the help everone. For whatever its worth I have chosen and bought the 04 CR125.

This may be in on going project as I have also bought a 1992 CR125 Engine (IMHO the most powerful 125 engine Honda has ever made) to put in the 04 chassis.

But before I do, It will be shipped to Eric Gorr@Forward motion for a 144 over borr kit and a port and polish full rebuild ! This should be one excellent handling, powerful late model CR. I cant wait to see/ride the final result !!

:ride:

:smirk:

Ride report and pics to follow. :lol:

Related Content

Reviews

Kawasaki KX250F 2014 by Michael499

Kawasaki KX250F 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

99 Cr125r not running correctly by josephduckworth

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Just got my first WR450 - 2005 by graytshirt

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Problem with 14 450s by boegey

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

anybody ride a 2015 yet? by pavetim

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX450F
  • Hot  58 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.