7 replies to this topic
  • ralphfurley

Posted April 22, 2003 - 08:15 AM

Are the 2 rear rim locks standard for the new breed of
4 strokes?? (yzf wrf crf drz)
My cr500 and xr600 did'nt have em.

• FTD

Posted April 22, 2003 - 08:38 AM

I always use just one lock. It is SO much easier to change a tube on the trail and I have never had a problem with spin.
Hoss :)

• MOmilkman

Posted April 22, 2003 - 09:11 AM

I know the new 4 strokers have more hp than a xr600 but I dont know why in the world a cr500 wouldnt have 2!!! :)

• DesertChris

Posted April 22, 2003 - 10:26 AM

If I had to guess I would say it has more to due with balancing the wheel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Junior_Vet

Posted April 22, 2003 - 11:31 AM

If it means anything my YZ came with 1 rim lock and the WR came with 2 rim locks. Is that because of the 18" vs 19" rear tire? Or just the off road vs MX thing?

• MOmilkman

Posted April 22, 2003 - 05:22 PM

Im betting it has to do with the Off-Road vs MX thing.

Isnt there any "rim lock" experts on here that would know? LOL :)

• Chas_M

Posted April 22, 2003 - 07:27 PM

Desert Chris is right on regarding wheel balance with two rim locks. If you ride desert or do any high speed riding, you will need to balance both front and rear tires. A single rim lock (front or rear) creates roughly a four oz. out of balance wheel which will cause instability, shimmy, thumping tires and/or wandering at high speeds.

• Burnrider

Posted April 23, 2003 - 05:41 AM

Where we ride some use two if they run real low tire pressure. Others because they want to ride on a flat tire back to the truck.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.