1998 WR400F shifting issue

1 reply to this topic
  • wrtard

Posted October 28, 2009 - 07:31 PM

The bike has been running fine for months now. It endured long streches of higways at speeds of 60mph, and good dirt roads; but now, I am having problems shifting. Everytime I shift-up I can feel the next gear grind. So, shifting from 1st->2nd, it feels like it shifts into 2nd, and then it grinds a bit on the 3rd.

Tomorrow a friend will help me take it a part to peak into the transmission. I figured, why not ask here first. Oh, and I've searched for such issues and no luck
Some threads suggest bent or worn out forks, but those gents were having different simptoms. I can change into any gear, except the grinding of the next gear part. :bonk:

Yelp :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted October 28, 2009 - 08:19 PM

Maney reasons 4 this 1 ake sure shift lever isnt hiting ing cover 2nd shift forks are bent 3rd tran gear that moves erom 2nd to 3rd has 4 lock fingers on each side of the gear they get raunded off i just went through that if you deside to split the case midwestactioncycle.com has a web site go to then uper left corner click oem parts type in form make mod year go 2 traney prety cool 4 any shows all it will help ABOUT A 2 OR 3 HOUH JOB LOL

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.