How to Spend $200

7 replies to this topic
  • Sierra Golf

Posted October 28, 2009 - 07:11 AM

Alright, I am about to be the proud owner of an 06 WR450F. I am looking forward to the additional power and reduction of weight compared to my old baby (DR-Z 400S). Don't get me wrong, I loved the DR-Z, it is a very reliable and solid bike. But I just want to get more out of the dirt.

So, I have found a bike that is pretty much bone stock. I have 200 in my budget to put into it right away after bringing her home. This is 200 on top of oil and filter change that will take place anyway. Hand guards? Skid plate? To all of you 450F owners in the know, I could use some of your advice. Where should my 2 bills go?

• tribalbc

Posted October 28, 2009 - 07:34 AM

If you ride woods then you nailed it. Handguards and skidplate should be your first choices. If you can only afford one than I would prioritize the handguards to save the hands.

• CORider63

Posted October 28, 2009 - 07:52 AM

1. Make sure all of the "Free Mods" have been done. Read the stickies at the top of this forum.

2. Set the sag according to specs. WRs seem to be VERY touchy about correct sag when it comes to the front end washing out.

3. Dunlop 756 front tire. (Or equivalent. You can easily find numerous other recommended tires in this forum.)

4. Handguards.

5. Skid Plate.

• spin9

Posted October 28, 2009 - 08:07 AM

My personal favorite for the WR skid plate is the devol. They bolt right up to the orignal mounts for the glide plate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Charles De Mar

Posted October 28, 2009 - 08:18 AM

Free mods! If your only spending $200 get a YZ needle and some jets. That will leave you more for skid plate, hand guards and decent tires. I found raising my bars relieved some stress on my back from standing hunched over.

• BAHeron

Posted October 28, 2009 - 09:00 AM

Change the rock they call a seat to a softer one (your ass will thank you later) and Barkbusters.The free mods do enough get out any have fun.

• ww44wrf450f

Posted October 28, 2009 - 11:45 AM

If your weight is over 185lbs. I would say front and back springs, or a used yz's exhaust pipe.

• bg10459

Posted October 28, 2009 - 05:53 PM

Handguards for sure, but I would put radiator guards before skid plate.
IMO, protect your investment first, then make it handle, then make it fast.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.