426 Starting Issues

5 replies to this topic
  • sepia

Posted October 26, 2009 - 11:43 PM

Just had the bike overhauled.. now fowling plugs after one ride then failing to start. The bike shop has played with carb as was leaning out at top end. The mechanic is a very good well respected chap and is a little mistified as to why... now going to play with carb again. It appears that the carb is running to rich?? Any other suggestions out there.

• grayracer513

Posted October 27, 2009 - 06:18 AM

Be certain that you are running a CR8-E, or equivalent heat range plug, or one of the upgrades (iridium, etc.). CR9's will foul.

• mammothmxrider

Posted October 27, 2009 - 06:20 AM

For some reason the yz's 426 four strokes are a pain to start. It's even more of
a pain when your motor is hot and you stall it. I always ride were there's a hill just
in case I need to bump start it. What I've been doing is turning off the gas at the
petcock and let the motor run some of the gas out of the carb before turning off
and storing the bike. It's all about timing when kicking it over. I make sure the pistons
at top before the big kick. Running high octane gas also helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rufusz

Posted October 28, 2009 - 04:33 AM

426's start easy when the pilot circuit (idle fuel/air mixture) is set-up properly. Search the forum, you will find a lot of info on this one.

IMO, disregard the previous post, except the part with the piston at TDC (if you don't have an autodecomp. cam).

And what do you do with the fouled plugs? Clean and put them back in? How do you clean them? Don't use steel or brass or any metal brushes !

• grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2009 - 06:18 AM

... disregard the previous post, except the part with the piston at TDC ...

Disregard that part, too. The piston needs to brought brought up against compression, then moved slightly closer to TDC, but not up to or past it.

426's do start reliably when the plug is in good condition and the carb is correctly adjusted. They are, however, quite fussy about their routine. Also remember that the carb has an accelerator pump, and you squirt gas into the engine every time you twist the throttle. The old two-stroke twist while you kick thing will keep the bike from starting indefinitely.

• JJRace

Posted October 29, 2009 - 07:19 AM

might help if you post the jetting of the carb. more than likely it is to rich or you have a problem with oil control in the motor (ie something not assembled or seated properly)

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.