08 yz 450 f Advice

15 replies to this topic
  • slimjaty

Posted October 26, 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hey all just got a 08 450 and had to tell someone about the sweet deal i got and ask for some advice. I got this bike for 3800 dollars and it only has 16 hours on it looks brand new and is the limited edition white runs amazing not one complaint. I was just wondering what u guys think of this bike and what kind of upgrades u guys do. Thanks J.T.

• Lankyrider

Posted October 27, 2009 - 12:35 AM

It's an awesome bike. If you have the US model (which i quess you have) it's a must to change the stock exhaust. You must also consider to change the rear sprocket with a bigger one to make it a little bit snappier.:bonk:

• DPW

Posted October 27, 2009 - 04:25 AM

Great bike, I've had mine since Nov '07 no complaints. My advice before you start buying and swapping stuff go ride the bike and see how you like it.

• erprob

Posted October 27, 2009 - 08:37 AM

It's an awesome bike. If you have the US model (which i quess you have) it's a must to change the stock exhaust. You must also consider to change the rear sprocket with a bigger one to make it a little bit snappier.:bonk:

Those are the first things I would change. Second of course is the suspension work. I just had mine all done and it makes a big difference.

Rob

• YamaLink

Posted October 27, 2009 - 08:47 AM

Ride it as-is for now. Set up the sag, dial in the clickers and see if you need some minor handlebar positioning.

Then if you have some coin laying around, the popular choices for more power "snap" are an exhaust and maybe a 1 tooth larger rear sprocket as others have suggested.

Disclaimer: I do have a aftermarket exhaust, but I truly do not know why because it's not like my cornering speed is just so darn good that I need more bark and pull after perfectly hitting my lines corner after corner. :bonk:

• grice

Posted October 27, 2009 - 10:23 AM

They bike is awsome stock. I have Rekluse exp core, enzo susp, Dr. D pipe, Dr. D radiator lowering kit. Skid plate and hand gaurds, 18" rear wheel. TM chain guide, thing is awsome. Waiting on my flywheel weight.

• YamaLink

Posted October 27, 2009 - 12:38 PM

Whoa, off-road dream bike! What fww did you get? Steahly?

They bike is awsome stock. I have Rekluse exp core, enzo susp, Dr. D pipe, Dr. D radiator lowering kit. Skid plate and hand gaurds, 18" rear wheel. TM chain guide, thing is awsome. Waiting on my flywheel weight.

• Lankyrider

Posted October 27, 2009 - 02:10 PM

Second of course is the suspension work. I just had mine all done and it makes a big difference.

As most people say the 08 suspension is one of the best out there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • psmith85

Posted October 28, 2009 - 08:08 PM

Change the fork oil so that you have a 'fresh' point of reference and then dial in the suspension and get the handlebars adjusted for you. Get fresh tires, esp the front tire as tires can make all the difference with this bike. Then spend time riding the bike and getting use to the handling and power before you start thinking anything else.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 29, 2009 - 08:51 AM

I would buy a new chain and sprockets - stock chain is junk. Ride it, set up the suspension for you before spending on any other bling. It makes no since to put a bunch of money in it - you will never get the money back, ever. If you hate the power(determine it is a little too soft) consider a better pipe (stock pipe is very restrictive) and that is it.
I wish I could have taken my own advice......on my 03 and 06:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2009 - 09:26 AM

I would buy a new chain and sprockets - stock chain is junk.

The chain is indeed junk, but if you rid yourself of it soon enough, and use a good enough replacement chain, the stock sprockets will last at least a year.

• slimjaty

Posted October 30, 2009 - 07:48 AM

Ok thanks guys got new tires o ring chain renthol sprockets stock front 51 on back the shocks feel pretty good but not to sure what I'm lookin for front seams to push alot

• rdefonce

Posted October 30, 2009 - 09:05 AM

Ok thanks guys got new tires o ring chain renthol sprockets stock front 51 on back the shocks feel pretty good but not to sure what I'm lookin for front seams to push alot

Backing off on fork compression damping might help reduce the front end push. My '08 450F was at stock settings, but got better and better as I turned down compression damping. (of course, if you are an "A"class MX rider that might be a mistake!)

About the pipe replacement, you don't need a complete exhaust to gain the low-to-mid-range thrust, just the muffler. The stock header is fine, mated to my FMF Q4 muffler.
FWIW I also have the complete FMF Megabomb/Factory 4.1 system, which works good but not much different than stock header/Q4 muffler. Needless to say, just buying the muffler is a LOT cheaper!

• YamaLink

Posted November 01, 2009 - 06:34 AM

What psi your front tire at, and where have you set the rear sag?

• slimjaty

Posted November 01, 2009 - 07:51 PM

by backing off do u mean softening and do i adjust from the top of the forks or the bottom i have everything set on 7 clicks out not sure on psi and the sag is around 3 and a half inches

• rdefonce

Posted November 02, 2009 - 09:30 AM

by backing off do u mean softening and do i adjust from the top of the forks or the bottom i have everything set on 7 clicks out not sure on psi and the sag is around 3 and a half inches

Yes, backing off compression damping might help. The top is the compression damping adjustment. 7 clicks out is WAY too stiff for me. (my suspension is stock, not re-valved)
I'm 165 in street clothes, and for moto, 3 clicks from full-soft worked wonders. Sometimes I even go full-soft compression damping, depending on the track.

psi . . . YamaLink is talkin' about tire pressure.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.