Stabilizers: Scotts or GPR or ????

3 replies to this topic
  • BrentKesterson

Posted October 26, 2009 - 05:35 PM

I have been riding all my life (okay, 40 of my 46 years), but have never ridden a bike with a stabilizer. Had a couple of BIG tank slappers in a desert race Saturday so I am going to buy one for my 08 WR 450 soon.

But which to choose?

Scotts advertises that theirs has a high speed valve to absorb the big hits more, which sounds like a good idea. And they say theirs "only dampens away from center and free valves back to dead center". I'm not sure how much sense that makes. I figured you would want the assist of getting the bars back to straight.

Any input is appreciated.

• Chas_M

Posted October 26, 2009 - 07:33 PM

You have touched on two of the main advantages of the Scotts damper. Do a ThumperTalk 'Search' on dampers to find out why the Scotts damper is the preferred choice by the majority of damper users.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RhinofromWA

Posted October 26, 2009 - 07:53 PM

I have been riding all my life (okay, 40 of my 46 years), but have never ridden a bike with a stabilizer. Had a couple of BIG tank slappers in a desert race Saturday so I am going to buy one for my 08 WR 450 soon.

But which to choose?

Scotts advertises that theirs has a high speed valve to absorb the big hits more, which sounds like a good idea. And they say theirs "only dampens away from center and free valves back to dead center". I'm not sure how much sense that makes. I figured you would want the assist of getting the bars back to straight.

Any input is appreciated.

The idea is that you can return back to center easier than having it slowed by damping forces on the return to center. None of the dampers assist you to center....if anything the idea of the Scotts is to hinder you the least back to centered. I hope that made sense.

Most of my buddies that have dampers have Scotts. The few that run GPR like them also. Ratio is probably 20 Scotts to 1 GPR.

I raced a buddies 07 WR450 with a Scotts damper at a 24hr endurance race up in Washington state. High speed braking bumps and boulder fields...it worked great. I did turn it up to much and that caught me off guard. I backed it back own and didn't touch it after.

I ride a 04 RM250 wich has a rep of being nervous but I don't seem to have a problem with it, so I chose not to buy one (because I am ultimately cheap :bonk:)

• Chuck.

Posted October 26, 2009 - 08:48 PM

In addition to the no damping on return to center the Scotts have adjustable sweep control which controls the range of damping on each side of center; 34, 44, 54, or 90 degrees. Beyond the selected range the steering is free to move to the stops which allows easier steering in tight turns.

I like mine; it reduces arm pump and fatique while trail riding.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1983 XT550 YDIS carburetor jets by bwAnderson

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Vintage
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha TTR110E 2014 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha TTR110E 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Yamaha TTR230 2014 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha TTR230 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Going 1,500 miles on a DR200 is it possible? by jOsEpHgArCiA

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha TTR110E 2013 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha TTR110E 2013
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.